No announcement yet.

Better Heavyweight era: 70s or 90s?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Heavyweight era: 70s or 90s?

I've often wondered about this, because if you look deeper into the 90s there were so many great heavyweights with a couple of ATG's to boot. Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe, Mercer, Ibeabuchi, Tua, Moorer, old Foreman Holmes etc.
    While the 70s are reffered to as the golden era with many legends as well. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Lyle, Young, Shavers etc etc.
    I missed a lot so some of you can probably compare the level of fighters better.
    The 90s - Holy, Tyson, Lewis, Bowe
    22.45%
    The 70s - Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton
    65.31%
    Too close to call, mate
    12.24%

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
    I've often wondered about this, because if you look deeper into the 90s there were so many great heavyweights with a couple of ATG's to boot. Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe, Mercer, Ibeabuchi, Tua, Moorer, old Foreman Holmes etc.
    While the 70s are reffered to as the golden era with many legends as well. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton, Lyle, Young, Shavers etc etc.
    I missed a lot so some of you can probably compare the level of fighters better.
    Holmes was champion in the 80s, so you can't include him in either decade.

Ali was much greater than any of the 90s fighters.

The Ali-Frazier-Foreman-Norton rivalries were much greater and more gripping than any rivalries of the 90s, IMO. And Ali fought all those fighters in their primes.

Lewis had no great rivalries. He should have had one with Bowe but they never fought; and he didn't fight Holyfield or Tyson until they were way past their primes - not saying it's his fault, it just didn't happen.

Holyfield and Bowe had a great rivalry, which Bowe won overall, but that was the end of Bowe's career as a potentially great champion, before it had really got off the ground; and Holyfield wasn't yet considered a future great, back then, so it didn't get anything like the buzz that the Ali fights did.

The first Holyfield-Tyson fight was amazing but Tyson was more or less shot by then and Holyfield was already past his prime.

And for most of the 90s there was no undisputed champion, unlike the 70s.
    Last edited by Dave Rado; 04-10-2009, 03:34 PM.
    shwaap shwaap likes this.

Comment

70's, the 90's was good to.

if the 70's trio fought the 90's trio..now that would be good.

Tyson, Holy, Lewis vs Ali, Frazier, Foreman

Comment

i guess everyones just forgetting about sonny liston too ?

Comment

Originally posted by Down4TheCount View Post
          i guess everyones just forgetting about sonny liston too ?
          his glory days weren't in the 70's.

Comment

90's had the bigger pool of talent but 70's had greater single fighters.

IMO if your counting the entire group then 90's

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              his glory days weren't in the 70's.
              true , i i guess its just because i group him in when i see names like ali up there but your right he was definately a 60's fighter.

Comment

those guys in the 70's put heavyweight boxing at the forefront of world sport so much so that the title of heavyweight champion was the most recognizable moniker a sportsman could achieve. a handful of 90's fighters whilst brilliant guys in their own right never had the intense rivalry that would have transcended the sport. Bowe/Lewis, a meaningful Lewis/Tyson fight and Bowe/Tyson were fights that got away.

Comment

Hmmm. Not even the modern Heavyweight supremist posters are voting for the 90s. Sincere or scared of ridicule?

Comment

the 70s were far better you had guys like jerry quarry who would probably be a champion in any other era

Comment

Working...
                    X