Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Uppercuts used often enough these days?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the riskiest punch one can throw, so it's not a punch I expect to see often. Marquez does it best and his is the rangiest I've ever seen, it's a surprise he hasn't been knocked out.

Comment

Not many do but Eubank Jr throws some savage uppercuts in his fights.

Comment

Eubank Jr, Canelo, and Brook all use the uppercut constantly

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
          Those are all great. I like head butting myself. With Hopkins gone, we're in real trouble...
          Still got ward

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
            Eubank Jr, Canelo, and Brook all use the uppercut constantly
            Eubank has a spiteful uppercut

Comment

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
              Not many do but Eubank Jr throws some savage uppercuts in his fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mc,Lovin View Post

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                  Obviously the Charlo uppercut on Williams was impressive. I see some fighters use them, but I know many who don't seem to ever throw an uppercut. It is probably the most dangerous punch in the sport. Now I know it has to be thrown when the right opportunity is there as it perfectly was for that fight. However, I'm wondering if we see enough uppercuts from the modern fighters. Any thoughts?
                  Modern day fighters fight nowhere near as dynamically on the inside as fighters of yesteryear used to fight (which opens up things for the expanded use of the uppercut punch).

If the boxing world ever gets back to fighting on the inside/in closed quarters, I have no doubt that the use/utility of the uppercut will come back.

Comment

They're not without risk. You've gotta be close, they leave you open, your balance is precarious if you do get countered. And, it's not easy to throw a fast one.

Uppercuts are pretty much a punch that you throw based on opportunity only.
                    And, yes, there's a shortage of them, especially at the end of combos.

Comment

The uppercut isn't used so often because fewer fighters these days have the skills and/or the physical attributes to stay in the pocket and deliver an upper cut. It's not so much a lost art as it is a difficult one.

Comment

Working...
                      X