No announcement yet.

Why are boxers not allowed an off day?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    Fact is 90% of boxing fans are idiots, lets be real. The term "style make fights" is 110% true. Yet for some reason, fans ignore this when a good fighter has an off night, or doesn't produce the win they are supposed to.

Danny Garcia IMO is a very good fighter, Herrera is a very underrated fighter that I told one of my fighters in the gym would not be stopped by Garcia. Most don't know much about Herrera, and think he's some club fighter or that fighting on ESPN is somehow a bad thing.

Herrera is a tricky, slick, awkward fighter that has beaten some really good fighters and been in the ring with top quality opposition. Danny Garcia's style was perfect for Herrera. He was looking for the power left hook and forgot to box.

Danny isn't a great boxer, but he's better than what he showed. He was just outboxed by a slicker, smaller Herrera that really came in with the perfect game plan against him. Props to Herrera's trainers in their preparation.

Danny is far from done, or been "exposed". He just faced a tough, slick guy who makes EVERYONE look bad.

I also think Danny Garcia's dad isn't a world class trainer. What he was saying in the corner and after the fight shocked me. Bending the knees isn't proper instructions and after the fight said he never looks at film.....WTF!?!?

Your son is a world champ and you don't study your opponents?
    Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      someone does have to poke you in the eye to make you half blind. i suppose that's just luck. who would have thought poking a guy in the eye would lead to him not being able to see...such a weird world.
      The way boxing gloves are now make poking someone like that is not possible, like guys used to do when you could really thumb someone in the eye. Plus thumbing someone is not throwing a punch and catching them in the eye with your thumb it is grinding your glove in your opponents face and using your thumb to gouge their eye.

You catch someone just right with a punch those are the breaks~ pick up a boxing glove sometime you might learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        The way boxing gloves are now make poking someone like that is not possible, like guys used to do when you could really thumb someone in the eye. Plus thumbing someone is not throwing a punch and catching them in the eye with your thumb it is grinding your glove in your opponents face and using your thumb to gouge their eye.

You catch someone just right with a punch those are the breaks~ pick up a boxing glove sometime you might learn something.
        he stuck his glove out and scraped downward across matthysse's eye. you can see how that could cause damage to the eye can't you? pick up an anatomy book you might learn something. you keep saying you catch your opponent with the right punch cept it wasn't a punch. it wasn't even a legal boxing move. pick up another book, rules of boxing. you aren't allowed to just stick your glove in your opponent's face. matthysse dominated round 6 and was dominating 7 when this glove scrape "incident" happened. maybe it was an accident but it was one of the luckiest accidents i've ever seen. turned the entire fight around for garcia. garcia knows how lucky it was and i'm sure thats why he won't give him a rematch.

Comment

he stuck his glove out and scraped downward across matthysse's eye. you can see how that could cause damage to the eye can't you? pick up an anatomy book you might learn something. you keep saying you catch your opponent with the right punch cept it wasn't a punch. it wasn't even a legal boxing move. pick up another book, rules of boxing. you aren't allowed to just stick your glove in your opponent's face. matthysse dominated round 6 and was dominating 7 when this glove scrape "incident" happened. maybe it was an accident but it was one of the luckiest accidents i've ever seen. turned the entire fight around for garcia. garcia knows how lucky it was and i'm sure thats why he won't give him a rematch.
          The thumb on a boxing glove is not even separate anymore, and that was a punch. He certainly didn't and couldn't gauge the eye like that, he caught him just right.

Why would I need an anatomy book? Eyes get damaged in boxing all the time and everyone knows eyes are sensitive to damage hence why we have eye lids, eyebrows, eyelashes and it is why our eyes are set back in our skull (I have picked up an anatomy book btw although it was a decade ago now electives ftw)~

Matthysse wasn't dominating anything, if that is what you think of the fight just stop your act is played out.

As for the rule book comment, I mean how you interpret the rules is not how it works so....... keep thinking things should be as you like them I will keep dealing with things as they are. The rule book in boxing is more like guidelines~ and there is a lot of grey area so keep talking black and white it is laughable.

Comment

maybe its the fact they have so long to prepare for a fight (in most cases at top level which i imagine you are talking about) with a minimum of 6-8 weeks, with all that time and hard work barring any injuries ect you would expect someone to be at their best

Comment

Also, is Matthysse going to fight again? How can Garcia rematch a guy that is thinking about retiring.

Garcia is under no obligation to rematch him, Matthysse lost fair and square bad break or otherwise. Matthysse is the one who needs to do work to make him need to rematch him, him sitting on his ass pondering his career is not getting him a rematch~

Comment

OK. Matthysse is an undefeated fighter. He was robbed 3 times and should be p4p #1. Is that what you want to hear?

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                  A boxer doesn't deserve an off day excuse because this isn't a sport with seasons, fighters fight only a handful of times a year except when they are just starting, and a career only has so many fights, so each one weighs greatly on your ranking and legacy.

What your question has to do with either Danny getting a gift, or idiot fans who put more stock into undefeated then they should, I will never know.

If you see people misusing bum, who cares? Let them wallow in their own ignorance.
                  Deserves an off-day? It's not about deserving, but it definitely happens. It's just not that fighter's night. Just like a great singer can prepare for weeks to sing an anthem, and somehow, when it mattered under the lights, manages to fumble some words. When performing on the stage, sometimes things go wrong for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X