Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mayweather doing enough to promote boxing as a global sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mayweather doing enough to promote boxing as a global sport?

Floyd is the biggest star aside from Manny, but only fights in Vegas. I honestly think he should be fighting around the world to really promote boxing. Vegas is still the top city but why not bring some shine to other cities? The Canelo fight could have been at an outdoor stadium in Mexico with 100k people, for example. He could fight Maidana in Argentina and draw a giant crowd. I just think fighting in Vagas may not be maximizing the potential promotion opportunities.

agree champs are suppose to fight all around the world. You cant fight in your back yard every time.

Comment

This is just MY opinion and my take on the whole situation but I believe Mayweather resents the sport in a way. I feel he doesnt believe the sport did enough to promote HIM. Regardless of what he says he felt jaded by not being percieved as "Americas fighter" and he blames it on race(I disagree) he felt some type of way about Pacquiao being more of Americas fighter.

So at some point I think he started to focus on his brand and promoting himself, with no endorsement deals and just trying to milk the game as much as he can.

Comment

He won't fight for penny cash, but it would be great if Floyd went on a European tour fighting Euro-cans on basic/cable television with cheap tickets.

Comment

Boxing does not revolve around Floyd. Floyd fights for Floyd, I don't think any fighter has been asked to do such a task like promote boxing globally. For people to become influenced they have to watch some one they can relate to. A talkative, flamboyant, controversial African American like Floyd would get boo'ed all around the world and create more hatred for himself rather than influence people.

Comment

well thing is, his main focus is to appeal to potential PPV buyers in the united states because that's where the cash is coming from. he is the money man, after all

Comment

No, he didn't bother with promoting boxing. When he became the top name in boxing and became no1 p4p he went AWOL for long periods and let Pac do the fighting and promoting.

When Floyd became the p4p no1 it got harder as challengers wanted him and he couldn't accommodate them, and only fought once every 18 months. Before Floyd it was RJJ, Hamed and Barrera who were known.
              Floyd probably isn't even known outside of boxing.

Comment

He has a guest spot in Think Like a Man 2, but I would not figure that movie would be that popular outside the US.

Comment

Would take a ridiculous amount of money to get Mayweather out of Vegas and don't think he is only fighting in Vegas just because, I am positive Mayweather have some type of deal off the books to keep him as a Attraction In Vegas

Vegas and MGM Grand is giving him extra Perks or something to fight exclusively in Vegas and at the MGM

But No Mayweather is not an ambassador for the sport or anything like that, it is hard to be one for the sport In General when all the promotions are split and fighters basically have to promote themselves to make good money

Comment

I think Mayweather is only concerned with winning fights and making maximum money. I doubt the thought of promoting boxing as a global sport ever crossed his mind. I don't think he gives a damn about that. Mayweather is all about doing what helps Mayweather. I am not saying that's wrong. Most fighters are fighting for fame and glory but most of all for big money and that's the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X