No announcement yet.

So, apparently this is what the kids are listening to these days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe2608 View Post
    The thing is with music is that it moves fast and keeps evolving as time goes on, but you will always be in love with your era and think it's the best because it reminds you of when you were growing up having the most fun.
    I think this is often the case but not always. I've heard a lot of teenagers say the music today is crap. Also, many people listen to classical and jazz music which was written before they were born.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou View Post
      I think this is often the case but not always. I've heard a lot of teenagers say the music today is crap. Also, many people listen to classical and jazz music which was written before they were born.
      I don't listen to today's music.

My favourite artists are Bob Dylan, Bob Seger and Dr Hook, largely due to the CD's I listened to in the car as a young child with my father.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Art imitates life, it's not the other way around.

If you look at modern music (last 100 years or so) every decade or generation has represented that time with what was going on around it.

In the "Roaring 20's" you saw the freedom of people from prohibition, and new dance crazes that took the country by storm.

In the 30's, Jazz and swing really hit big and it was still an innocent time in America.

In the 40's, it was post WWII and it was Jazz as well as Swing and other fads that were hitting but it was a very celebratory time in America and the music reflected it.

In the 50's, we saw the beginnings of Rock n Roll. It was still innocent, happy and had a good beat and the youth listened to it as a form of rebellion.

In the 60's, it got serious. Civil rights, women's lib, and the mix of drugs and the current wars changed the country and music drastically. This is when Americans lost their innocence and the music reflected that. Hard core rock was in place, and Woodstock brought the peace and love hippie movement to the forefront.

The 70's still had even harder rock but also brought in Disco. It was more frivolous because people started becoming more self centered and worried less about political issues than in the 60's.

In the 80's, it was the "Me" generation. Tons of coke was being done, music was very pop but there was a youth movement in the inner city that spawned the commercialization of hip hop with groups like Run Dmc and LL Cool J. White kids in the cities were doing the same with Punk rock.

In the 90's thats where the last of the really good Hip Hop was being made. Classic albums like "The Chronic" and "Illmatic" were made but by the late 90's, that level of Hip Hop was disappearing.

In the 2000's, music went to ****. It was completely about making money, anyone could get their 15 minutes of fame and youtube and sites like that made it possible to not have talent and still be heard. Catchy beats replaced skilled lyrics and rock was just as "pop" as hip hop. Money had taken control of the creativity in music.

We are now in the worst state of music ever on the planet. Yes there is still some really good music out there but it's hidden underneath all the crap that get's played on 106 and park. It's all about style, what you look like and who is hot for the second that it lasts.

This generation is the most shallow generation of all and it's because of the self love and admiration it has without accomplishing anything or standing for anything.

Congrats, you guys suck.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I feel old when I say this to people... but well said!!

Comment

That isnt good music,but it is what the spastic kids listen too

Comment

These nwo whores aren't that much different than my time when you had talentless dirty filthy whores like britney spears and christina aguilera showing their culo's on tv the whole day. There just seem to be more now than before. But don't get it twisted, crap music has been around for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
              Reminds me of 80's pop.

I prefer it to the torrent of awful r'nb and hip hop crap of recent years.
              How does that remind of you of 80's Pop?

She's better than 90% of the Rappers around now named "Lil" something or other.
              Last edited by res; 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post

In the 80's, it was the "Me" generation. Tons of coke was being done, music was very pop but there was a youth movement in the inner city that spawned the commercialization of hip hop with groups like Run Dmc and LL Cool J. White kids in the cities were doing the same with Punk rock.

The "Me" generation were the Baby Boomers of the 1960's .

The term is most strongly associated with the late 60's and 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
                  I don't know how, at the tender age of 25, I became so old as to not understand this.

Apparently this is what goes as good music these days

To be honest isn't any different than your typical Kesha track. This on the other hand

Comment

Theres good music and bad music out there, the problem is with all the avenues to show the music the bad ones are going to outweigh the good, as it should.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
                      Theres good music and bad music out there, the problem is with all the avenues to show the music the bad ones are going to outweigh the good, as it should.
                      The bad music is dominant on most of the main avenues. What the additional avenues do is make the picture look not as bleak as it could look, because now you can easily find the kind of underground music that would have been far more difficult to find 20 years ago or more. Back then you would have to look for that kind of music in local clubs.

Comment

Working...
                      X