No announcement yet.

How good was Ricardo "Finito" Lopez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good was Ricardo "Finito" Lopez?

I'm about to get a DVD on him and im curious to know what people think of him. Obviously he was a very good boxer but where does he rank amongst all the other great Mexican fighters? Could he considered one of the greatest boxers ever from the lower weight classes?

Would you consider him an ATG and where does he stand among the rest?

And what were his best fights, Other than Rosendo Alvarez?

hmmm, as far as his 'best fights' thats a tough one for me... i just remember his fights, not who he was fighting

i think he was great... one of my ATG mexican fighters IMO

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700
      Where would you rank him of all time as an ATG? Top 30?

Maybe higher?
      hard to say... i usually dont bother making lists like that

he's definitely up there though IMO... Beristain's (sp) best IMO

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
        I'm about to get a DVD on him and im curious to know what people think of him. Obviously he was a very good boxer but where does he rank amongst all the other great Mexican fighters? Could he considered one of the greatest boxers ever from the lower weight classes?

Of course he was one of the best. He was a lower/second tier sort of ATG. He had some big wins other than just Alvarez who himself is highly underrated.

Saman Sarjutarong was another big win of his. Saman is the guy who knocked out Humberto 'Chiquita' Gonzalez in that amazing FOTY. Check that fight out!

Hideyuki Ohashi was a great win. Ohashi had two incredible fights with HOFer Jung Koo Chang and was a two time world champ. Make sure you watch these fights.

Kermin Guardia was a long time champ for about six year, undefeated at the time he was beaten by Lopez.

Sanchez was also very good and was champ for about seven years before losing a unification with Lopez. I think he went on to win a couple more titles and had a lot of major fights with guys up until recently.

Will Grigsby was a great little undefeated fighter and was a three time world champ I think. Beat some great little guys like Nelson Dieppa.

Ratanapol Sor Vorapin was probably the other main guy apart from Alvarez that he beat. He was the champ for about ten years and made some ridiculous number of defenses like 20/21/22.

Zolani Petola was another great little champ who beat Vorapin too. Made quite a few defenses and was champ for many years.

It was also how easily he beat these guys. He just destroyed most of them. The whole division was in one big war and Lopez sat on the top just killing these guys that would get to number one to challenge him or as one of the other champs.
        Last edited by BennyST; 07-03-2010, 08:20 AM.

Comment

He was something like 25-0-1 in title fights. He was an amazing fighter....Same style as the Marquez brothers....same trainer too

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Of course he was one of the best. He was a lower/second tier sort of ATG. He had some big wins other than just Alvarez who himself is highly underrated.

Saman Sarjutarong was another big win of his. Saman is the guy who knocked out Humberto 'Chiquita' Gonzalez in that amazing FOTY. Check that fight out!

Hideyuki Ohashi was a great win. Ohashi had two incredible fights with HOFer Jung Koo Chang and was a two time world champ. Make sure you watch these fights.

Kermin Guardia was a long time champ for about six year, undefeated at the time he was beaten by Lopez.

Sanchez was also very good and was champ for about seven years before losing a unification with Lopez. I think he went on to win a couple more titles and had a lot of major fights with guys up until recently.

Will Grigsby was a great little undefeated fighter and was a three time world champ I think. Beat some great little guys like Nelson Dieppa.

Ratanapol Sor Vorapin was probably the other main guy apart from Alvarez that he beat. He was the champ for about ten years and made some ridiculous number of defenses like 20/21/22.

Zolani Petola was another great little champ who beat Vorapin too. Made quite a few defenses and was champ for many years.

It was also how easily he beat these guys. He just destroyed most of them. The whole division was in one big war and Lopez sat on the top just killing these guys that would get to number one to challenge him or as one of the other champs.

Thanks. I'll definetly check out all of those fights.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post

Best and/or essential fights would be Alvarez I & II, Ohashi, Sorjaturong, Villomar, Sanchez, and Sor Vorapin (because of their mutual space at 105).

Among great Mexicans? Probably just behind Chavez, Sanchez, Olivares, and Canto for me. He was certainly among the best smaller weight class fighters, the greatest at Strawweeight for sure (and being the greatest in a class is a measure of ATGness all its own).

Comment

One of the best textbook boxers I've ever seen, beautiful fighter to watch.

I think his most entertaining fights were against Alvarez, their 2 fights were very, very good.

Comment

Great fighter and I have his set also. Wish he could've fought Humberto Gonzalez and Mike Carbajhal

Comment

Amazing fighter. Deff top 30 atg

Comment

Working...
                    X