No announcement yet.

Demain Maia vs. Nate Marquardt set for UFC 102 in Portland on Aug. 29

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dice View Post
    I dont think so fam, Demian Maia is for real. Nate has been on a roll recently and trains with a sick camp but his recent KO's overshadow the fact that he's actually a submission fighter with 15 wins comming by way of taps and only 6 wins by ko, he blew it against Leities, and has been choked out by Ricardo Almieda.

Maia's been on a serious roll and has a top notch ground game and trains in strikes with Wanderlei Silva.

His UFC wins of Jensen, Herman, Macdonald, Quarry, and Sonnen, isnt a murders row but its still a nice set of fighters made even more imressive that he submitted them all without being in any serious trouble. Also in grappling competition he's got wins over Fabio Negao and Yushin Okami.

Its a serious fight that I cant wait to see, Marquart has really developed as a fighter but I think Maia is on fire and I think will beat Nate
    Training striking with Wanderlei Silva is NOT a positive.

I like Maia, but he simply hasnt beat top competition. Quarry, Herman, Jensen, Sonnen and Macdonald just arent great fighters.

Marquart is a step up for him. And I think it will be a competitive fight.

Comment

Originally posted by JabSandwich View Post
      +1, finally some1 who's gonna expose Maia

its cos he's not exciting, its hard to market a guy who makes Grandma look like the Flash
      MMA is supposed to be considered a sport.

Okami regardless of whether or not hes exciting or not deserves a shot. And not only that, a japanese champion/challenger can give the UFC some much needed publicity in Japan.

Comment

Marquardt by early stoppage!

Comment

the okami talk can stop since he's hurt again with a torn ligament in his knee, he had to pull out of UFC 98 because of it.

i hope maia wins, but he better work like hell on his takedowns because if it stays standing Nate will finish him

Comment

Originally posted by StillUnknown View Post
            the okami talk can stop since he's hurt again with a torn ligament in his knee, he had to pull out of UFC 98 because of it.

i hope maia wins, but he better work like hell on his takedowns because if it stays standing Nate will finish him
            wait, hold on.... what??? Source??

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
              wait, hold on.... what??? Source??
              http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=17

Comment

o wow, what a bummer.

I was kinda looking forward to Okami vs Miller.

Maia vs Nate should be a good one, as the winner will be right in line for a crack at the title

after the Bisping-Hendo winner of course.

Comment

Originally posted by pugilistfan View Post
                  Training striking with Wanderlei Silva is NOT a positive.

I like Maia, but he simply hasnt beat top competition. Quarry, Herman, Jensen, Sonnen and Macdonald just arent great fighters.

Marquart is a step up for him. And I think it will be a competitive fight.

How is training in striking with a man who has 22 ko's out of 32 wins not a positive? And who has Marquart beat?? Gouvia, martin kampmann, jeremy horn and dean lister arent top notch fighters either, and he got choked out by Ricardo Almeida and destroyed in under a round by Anderson Silva

Comment

Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
                    yeah but exciting or not the guy's been on a tear, a champ at the belt shouldn't be determined by excitement. This ain't the WWE ya know
                    Originally posted by pugilistfan View Post
                    MMA is supposed to be considered a sport.

Okami regardless of whether or not hes exciting or not deserves a shot. And not only that, a japanese champion/challenger can give the UFC some much needed publicity in Japan.
                    i completely agree w/ both of u, but while the Fertitas and Dana r fight fans they're also businessmen. like it or not more than 90% of ppl who watch mma don't actually understand mma so u have to keep them happy otherwise ur not makin dollars

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
                      How is training in striking with a man who has 22 ko's out of 32 wins not a positive? And who has Marquart beat?? Gouvia, martin kampmann, jeremy horn and dean lister arent top notch fighters either, and he got choked out by Ricardo Almeida and destroyed in under a round by Anderson Silva
                      Wand's style is reckless, it works for him because he has that mentality on the feet. i don't think you can really teach that brand of aggressiveness. Maia would be wise to get more technical in his strikes, not aggressive. i'm sure Wand is teaching him the technical aspects of striking, even if he doesn't employ them himself in fights

he needs to focus on striking to setup takedowns to get it to the ground. Wand ate a ton of shots in his career, he just has some tremendous recuperative powers, its a long shot to think Maia will possess that same trait.

Comment

Working...
                      X