Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC fighter Nick Diaz call out Roy Jones to a boxing match!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC fighter Nick Diaz call out Roy Jones to a boxing match!

Nick Diaz Calls Out Jones Jr. to a Boxing Match
    Apr 16, 2009 at 12:20 pm ET

In additional Diaz news, GracieFighter.com is also reporting that the Strikeforce winner has called out boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. (53-5 Boxing) to meet in a boxing contest.

Jones Jr. has been in extended discussions with current UFC middleweight champion and UFC 97 main event competitor Anderson Silva about a future boxing bout, but UFC President Dana White has nixed that possibility for the time being. Diaz's camp feels they may be in a better position to arrange the contest.

The original report from GracieFighter.com is included below.

Superstar boxer Roy Jones Jr. has expressed interest in facing UFC Middleweight Champion, Anderson Silva, after Silva had let his intentions be known that he wished to face Jones in a boxing contest. Promoter Bob Arum was eager to promote such a bout to let the world see that "those MMA guys can't throw a straight punch".

Unfortunately it seems the impedus to set up such a fight is dead in the water, since the UFC is no hurry to see their Champion compete in a venue not being promoted by them.

Enter Nick Diaz. With Strikeforce's more flexible attitudes towards fighting and the Strikeforce-Showtime alliance, the barriers to such a fight could very well be coming down. Our camp has already contacted Top Rank Boxing to let them know we would be 100% in favor of such a matchup. Now the ball is in their court.

The 40-year-old Jones Jr. last fought in a hybrid boxing/MMA card that promoted by his own company, Square Ring Promotions. Jones Jr. earned a fifth-round TKO over an overmatched Omar Sheika.

In addition to frequent sparring with undefeated Olympic Gold Medalist Andre Ward, Diaz has boxed once as a professional, earning a four-round unanimous-decision win over fellow rookie Alfonso Rocha in an April 2005 bout contested at 167 pounds.

Jones Jr. has typically fought around 175 pounds for the past 12 years.

Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/14593/repo...-jones-jr-.mma
    Nick Diaz
    2.35%
    Roy Jones Jr.
    97.65%
    Too close to call
    0.00%

Jones by early tko

Comment

the best strikers in mma dn't have **** on even just boxing's #10 contender in a boxing match in any weightclass.it's a different story in mma match though!nick diaz is way too slow even for a 45yr old rjj!

Comment

why are these ******s all calling out Jones for?

Comment

He has some ****ty boxing though. I'm tired of MMA guys who thinking they can hang in the elite level of Boxing just because they have OK Boxing for MMA. Nick Diaz' boxing is mediocre and would lose to a top 50 guy even though he spars with Andre Ward and other pros on the regular.

Comment

even a faded, washed up Roy takes this fool out

Comment

Originally posted by Gift Of Gab View Post
              He has some ****ty boxing though. I'm tired of MMA guys who thinking they can hang in the elite level of Boxing just because they have OK Boxing for MMA. Nick Diaz' boxing is mediocre and would lose to a top 50 guy even though he spars with Andre Ward and other pros on the regular.
              Oak-Town!!

Is this guy for real? I'm sorry, but he will not be able to go 5 rounds with an elite boxer in a fight going full throttle. Sparring and fighting are two totally different things.

If it were up to me, i say set the thing up. I'd pay to watch that *****. RJJ needs to spank and embrass this kid.

Comment

who is nick diaz?? anyone?

Comment

Nick Diaz is a former UFC fighter who is known for his sick Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Lately, people have been saying that his boxing is great. In one of his fights, the commentator said that he reminded him of Alexis Arguello (). In his last fight, he stopped respected middleweight Frank Shamrock.

Comment

Why the hell do all the MMA dudes wanna get their hands on Roy? Ain't Roy been through enough as it is?

Comment

Working...
                    X