Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Andre Ward Gets Off The Floor, Decisions Sergey Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was surprised kavalev was holding way too much and the body shots got to him also ward won a close decision no doubt

Comment

• Mathematically Impossible Ward Won!

There was no way Ward could win that fight; only if he won 8 rounds and Kovalev 4. That did not happen. Robbery? Yes, it was!

Comment

• Originally posted by King_ View Post
        Kovalev outlanded Ward 17-11 and 21-13 in rounds 10 and 12....

What more does Kovalev have to do? Kill Ward?

Can somebody make the case for Ward winning those two rounds?
        After round two, if Ward didn't go down, people gave rounds 3-6 to him. There is no way Ward won more than 2 rounds in the first half. Its being generous to givd him one in that time. Kovalev controlled the pace, landed the more effective punches and had ward befuddled. These guys saying he won any of those rounds are full of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spacey1991 View Post
          Fight could have gone either way, I had Ward up by 1 point but honestly it could have easily been the other way, there was just so many rounds that could have gone either way.

The HBO team were a joke in that fight, especially Lampley and Lederman, I thought they were incredibly biased and gave Ward little to no credit, especially between rounds 3 and 4 which were much closer than they made out - and there was a later round that Lederman gave Kovalev that left me stunned.

I remember later on in the fight Kovalev to his credit landed a couple body shots and Lampley was going mental, yet didn't give the same reaction when Ward landed significant blows.

This is what you get when you get two top level fighters going against each other, there's loads of pick'em rounds and a massive debate on who won.
          You did not watch the hbo broadcast. THe hbo team was fighting with eachother to see who could suck off ward The hardest.

Comment

• Originally posted by atom-ictortilla View Post
            Here come the "robbery" claims. It was a close fight and rds were close. Honestly it was two great champions who put on a great fight.

My opinion Ward won the fight. Hope to see a rematch. I think Ward wins a little easier in a rematch.
            Was thinkg the same way, Ward wins the rematch with better results.

Comment

• Finally watched the full fight...

I had it 7-5 Kovalev, not counting the knockdown. Adding the knockdown gets me basically to the same score Harold Lederman had.

I couldn't see at all how Ward could win any round from 1-6. None of them.

The only one where I was in a different place was round 12. I did give that to Ward because I felt he was landing sharper down the stretch. That's how he should have been fighting the whole time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                How do you win rounds by clinching? Such a bullshit decision.
                Both clinched. Kovalev used the clinch to control Ward in close (particularly in the second half of the fight), as Ward is a better infighter. Ward used the clinch to steady himself after the round 2 knockdown.

Comment

• Originally posted by SchoolTheseCats View Post
                  Great fight had it 114-113 Ward krusher tired at end and two early rounds I gave to ward
                  Man, Lederman scoring was bogus as f###.

Comment

• I would like to borrow Dr Rumacks post from another thread, and post it here:

It's important to recognise why that happens too. There's a huge problem with narrative bias when a guy like Ward fights. If the round is low action, he seems to win by default, without actually having to score himself. He gets credit for defence. But Kovalev gets no credit. When Kovalev blocks and slips shots, making Ward miss, it doesn't matter. Kovalev's defence is not part of the narrative. Only his offence. Whereas Ward gets credit for both. So Kovalev can only win rounds by landing heavy flush shots. Whereas Ward can win the round with a couple of spear jabs.

I'm sick of seeing it. Both guys should have to score at the same level to win. In boxing at the moment it's like a soccer team playing ultra defensive against an attacking team, and being awarded the win without actually having to score themselves.

Comment

• Emotional scoring is what I call it. We all saw Ward nearly get stopped early on and find his way to make it competitive, it's great Rocky type stuff. However, that should not automatically grant him close rounds and we should score each round with a level head. I felt like most of the fight was a Kovalev fight with Ward trying to survive and adjust. Kovalev was the ring general who was in control and landed the more impactful and round swaying shots. Ward had moments, nice jab and good body shots but that was it, his lack of a good right hand hurt him here. Kovalev had an even better jab and a precise right hand which made all the difference. No way in hell I can see Ward taking 6 or 7 rounds. I say all of this as one of Ward's biggest fans on here.
                      Last edited by _original_; 11-20-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X