Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name Some Successful Fighters Who Started After Age 30...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what the TS is trying to get at but you can't use Rigo as an example of someone who started late. He may have been near 30 by the time he turned pro but he was one of the most accomplished amateurs to turn pro in a long time.

If someone played jazz music for the first 15 years of their life and then started a metal band it doesn't mean they're new to music. They still have all the groundwork laid to be a successful musician in any genre.

Comment

Martinez is the latest I've heard of. When they turned pro is totally different to when they 'started' as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
        I don't know what the TS is trying to get at but you can't use Rigo as an example of someone who started late. He may have been near 30 by the time he turned pro but he was one of the most accomplished amateurs to turn pro in a long time.

If someone played jazz music for the first 15 years of their life and then started a metal band it doesn't mean they're new to music. They still have all the groundwork laid to be a successful musician in any genre.
        Age is a factor not just the experience also...but what about age and experience?is what I'm getting at...when the person started as in started playing jazz and then turning pro...so as in a person just taking up boxing and turning pro and also a person with limited boxing background...20 to 40 amateur fights is still green compared to most experienced successful boxers imho who have 50 to a 100+ amateur fights...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          Martinez is the latest I've heard of. When they turned pro is totally different to when they 'started' as well.
          Depends how you interpret "started"...I'm talking started as in just took up boxing and turned pro and at a late age or an age considerd to be "late"...and also turning pro with a limited boxing background at a late age...near 30 or after 30 and to me having 40 amateur fights is still green compared to most vets who have almost a 100 or more amateur fights...Sergio Martinez may be the only guy who truly embodies what I mean...but he still debuted in his early 20's with only 2 years experience prior...truly impressive and inspiring...him and Nate Campbell who started boxing at 24 like panda said...
          Last edited by TripleGFightFan; 10-23-2015, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Mickey Rourke :-)

Comment

Originally posted by megh50 View Post
              Mickey Rourke :-)
              LOL...good one...speaking of Rourke...loved him in 'The Wrestler'...hey while we're at it...what about Dewey Bozella?...

Comment

Matt Skelton turned pro at 35 without any amateur experience, but he was a former kickboxer/mma. Fought for 12 years, got a title shot, ended up as 47 year old cannon fodder for Joshua. Pretty successful under the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
                  Anyone who supports wards bum tour is racist. Plain and simple. Its a color thing
                  Do you ever talk about actual boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                    Matt Skelton turned pro at 35 without any amateur experience, but he was a former kickboxer/mma. Fought for 12 years, got a title shot, ended up as 47 year old cannon fodder for Joshua. Pretty successful under the circumstances.
                    I'd consider that fighting experience even if I couldn't officially call it boxing experience, but still impressive all the same. There's more fighting going on then just boxing. Its not apples to apples, but its not apples to oranges either.

Theres a lot of muay thai guys in the lower weight divisions that seem to come outta nowhere to fight for boxing titles in their 7th fight, than you find out they've had 50 muay thai bouts.

Hell even a guy like Butterbean, who granted didn't have elite level non-bank account/non-novelty success in boxing so would out of the conversation completely, turned pro at 28 with no amateur career still had 60 odd toughman bouts over several years that surely was a nice introduction into the hitting people in the head & getting hit in the head sport of boxing that I'd consider helpful even if not quite as helpful as an amateur boxing career.

Comment

Working...
                    X