In which lightweight championship fight was Duran visibly hurt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which lightweight championship fight was Duran visibly hurt

please state which fight if you have a clip even better

Only the two De Jesus fights, though the second was more of a flash knockdown than being proper hurt.

Comment

Not a championship fight, but prior to winning the title Duran fought a 10 rounder with Felipe Torres, who was a tough fighter who loved going to the body. Anyways, I've never read anything on this fight, but Calos Eleta was quoted as saying, "You couldn't have gotten odds on my boy making it out of the 5th round with Torres, he was hurt that bad, but he toughed it out and went on to win the decision." This has always piqued my curiosity. I would love to read a report on this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by scartissue View Post
        Not a championship fight, but prior to winning the title Duran fought a 10 rounder with Felipe Torres, who was a tough fighter who loved going to the body. Anyways, I've never read anything on this fight, but Calos Eleta was quoted as saying, "You couldn't have gotten odds on my boy making it out of the 5th round with Torres, he was hurt that bad, but he toughed it out and went on to win the decision." This has always piqued my curiosity. I would love to read a report on this fight.
        i read about that fight in hands of stone ....duran will still growing and i believe torres was world rated.... this fight was at 126 or so

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          i read about that fight in hands of stone ....duran will still growing and i believe torres was world rated.... this fight was at 126 or so
          Yeah, that was before he reached lightweight and when he was still a young up and comer going through the featherweights.

Comment

I agree that Duran was young and upcoming, but on the same token, he stopped Ernesto Marcel in his very next fight. In the whole scheme of things its just a blip on the radar of a great career, but still, I'm sure it's something of a badge of honor that Torres has told his grandchildren over the years. And I would still love to read a report on the fight. I have not seen the Duran book, can anyone relay what Duran said about the Torres fight?

Comment

Working...
            X