Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know it's another movie thread, but De Niro in Taxi Driver and Mean Streets...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check him out in 'Hi Mom 1970' movie by Brian de Palma. His character in there reminds me a little of taxi driver. He also wears the army jacket in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Don't apologize for more movie threads, they're one of the reason I come to the lounge.

De Niro in Taxi Driver was an absolute powerhouse, such a fleshed out character. Him not even getting an Oscar nomination was such a travesty and was a Sweet Pea-Chavez level of robbery.
      He was nominated for best actor in a leading role at the Oscars for Taxi Driver.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        He was nominated for best actor in a leading role at the Oscars for Taxi Driver.
        My bad, I guess it's not as bad, still should have won.

Comment

have you seen the movie of the actor that won the oscar best actor in 1976?

Comment

Originally posted by Once_Capitalist View Post
            have you seen the movie of the actor that won the oscar best actor in 1976?
            love that movie

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              My bad, I guess it's not as bad, still should have won.
              Being nominated for an Oscar isn't like any other award. It's a huge feat/accomplishment and it is highly praised. Of course it's not as good as winning it, but it shows you're in the elite level of acting. The nominated movie isn't looked down on as a lesser movie at all.

Comment

Being nominated for an Oscar isn't like any other award. It's a huge feat/accomplishment and it is highly praised. Of course it's not as good as winning it, but it shows you're in the elite level of acting. The nominated movie isn't looked down on as a lesser movie at all.
                I'ma have to disagree, the Oscars are really a big joke with how much politics come into play with their selections. Sometimes they'll give people "achievement" awards instead for their actual performances. For example, Denzel played greater roles than Training Day, but that's the one he finally got his Oscar for instead of The Hurricane or Malcolm. X. And nobody remembers nor cares about the nominees, ask Leo Dicaprio about that.

Comment

Na, nominations do matter. If there's an equivalent of Boxingscene in movie forums, you'd see movie heads arguing about nominations. For example Lemmon, Brando and Pacino are all 8-time Oscar nominees, this is a big accomplishment and they are praised for this and it's always mentioned when saying their accomplishments.

Comment

but then again theres a lot of great movies, actors dont get to be nominated.

Comment

Na, nominations do matter. If there's an equivalent of Boxingscene in movie forums, you'd see movie heads arguing about nominations. For example Lemmon, Brando and Pacino are all 8-time Oscar nominees, this is a big accomplishment and they are praised for this and it's always mentioned when saying their accomplishments.
                      I see what your saying man, but it sometimes seems they pick those stars as nomination fillers because they're "safe" as they have already won their awards and they don't have intentions of awarding them. Look at Meryl Streep who has a ton of nominations and they've limited her wins. Same with Nicholson. Yes it's cool, but I don't like the political aspect of it to finally give them an award when they've "earned" it for their body of work rather than their actual performance/film. Look how long it took for Scorsese to finally get his Best Director award, people were always shitting on the Academy for it until they felt the pressure and gave him one. Christopher Nolan and Leo are two guys who keep getting snubbed, and they'll eventually receive one, not because of their actual work that particular year, but because the snobs at the Oscars will feel it's finally their time.

Comment

Working...
                      X