Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain what it means when a figher "carries' another fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain what it means when a figher "carries' another fighter?

I have a rough idea of what it means, but I wanted to make sure because I can't find anything searching for sports idioms on "carrying"

Thanks

Its when one guy who is winning goes easy on the other guy instead of KOing him.

Like Holmes vs Ali or Jones Jnr vs McCallum.

Comment

thanks, Green K

Comment

lucian bute on glen johnson

Comment

Mayweather vs.Marquez

Comment

Pacquiao v. Margarito, in the last 2-3 rounds.

Comment

You've got the answer already, but I believe it got the name from Jack Johnson.

Some opponents of his are visibly hurt on film, but he clinches and keeps them standing up until they recover. Literally carrying them, and thus carrying the fight to make it more worth the money of the people who have come to watch.

Also I believe a bit of it was just him playing with his food so to speak. He definitely had that type of stuff in him.

Comment

It means they could go for a ko and get it but they don't throw the punches that would score the ko. They do enough to insure their victory but don't try to take their opponent out. Pacquiao seemed to carry Mosley and Margarito. It seemed like he could have KOed them with a full out substained attack like he attacked Oscar and Cotto. He took it easy on them or at least that is the impression I got. I think he felt sorry for them.

Comment

Carrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post

Carrying.
                    Absolutely. Chambers was carrying Klitschko for 11 rounds and in the 12th, Klitschko landed a lucky punch.

Comment

Working...
                    X