Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Negotiation Process Makes Fights': Donaire Explains Rigondeaux, Fight Business

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so basically Donaire just said "its up to my promoter Bob Arum" in a non broken English

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
      Rigondeaux, despite having a world title, has not proven himself to be a draw.
      That's right. The Golden Boy Jeffrey Mathebula is known worldwide, that's why he got the fight.

Comment

Who the hell had heard of Mathebula but not of Rigondeaux? They both have titles, and Rigondeaux has actually had more HBO exposure. Donaire not making sense, just making excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
          and LOL at people who talk as if Donaire is a Big Name and a Big Draw hahaha

did you not see the empty seats for that Mathabula fight? Donaire is not a fukin draw himself an Casual Fans don't give a fuk about him because Casuals really don't give a fuk about Division under MAYBE 135

so again to try and turn this into a Popularity Contest as a Reason whey he shouldn't fight Rigondeaux, it just makes Donaire Fans look so bad and Clueless (which many of them are anyway)

Casuals don't give a FUK about Donaire Either! Sadly, Only the Hardcore Fans care about the Lower Division
          +1

LOL at people trying to play manager for their favorite fighter. In this division, the best fighting the best gets you fans.

There are no "casual" fans watching boxing unless Mayweather or Pacquiao are fighting.

Where is a casual fan going to hear about Donaire from?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            Who the hell had heard of Mathebula but not of Rigondeaux? They both have titles, and Rigondeaux has actually had more HBO exposure. Donaire not making sense, just making excuses.
            that seems about right

Comment

I'd say the boxing-media play that the Rigo-Donaire situation has gotten the last 3 months has been pretty significant, no? Clearly there's a demand for this fight.

Also, Nonito is nowhere near the level of draw that some of you are making him out to be. Certainly not of a Pacquiao-Mayweather, and not even of a Chavez- Canelo. So let's have some clear perspective on this. And by the looks of it, Nonito hasn't brought many people to the gate anyway.

It's safe to say that the fans that are interested in Nonito have already heard who Rigondeaux is. If not much, I guarantee they've heard more about him than they have of Wilfredo Vasquez Jr, Jeffrey Mathebula and Narvaez lol.

There's much talk about who the "casual" fans have and have not heard of. Very few "casual" boxing fans know or recognize Nonito Donaire as a top guy in the sport. And I know some of you nuthuggers don't want to realize this.

Also, to those saying how do we know that Rigo didn't refuse "mathebula money", like I said, i can confirm that Team Rigo has never sat down at a table to discuss a possible Donaire match-up. Ever.

There is no doubt that Nonito is being protected from the wolf. Because of this, the wolf is quickly becoming the Elephant in the Room.
              Last edited by MalikKnucklez; 07-13-2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I think most boxing fans are knowledgeable and they understand how the politics/business of boxing works, Like nonito said would Rigo be willing to make small change to get his chance? NO! I doubt it, When Mosley was calling Mayweather out would he had settle for small change to get his chance? Nah, When Margarito/arum were calling Mayweather out would they had settled for chip change? Eh Nah!

So in the end the economics dictates the whole state of boxing, I dont succumb to the "He or she" is scared motto, But i do believe 99% of promoters are definitely scared of their respective investments.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                  HBO don't do that, there was some article about it some time ago. When they have fighter in longer relationship, they don't just put him in position to fight one particular guy or go away(Unless it's Martinez maybe who no-one cared about before he knocked Paul Williams out.). HBO is not forcing any fights for Nonito, does it mean they don't want any fights more than the others?
                  HBO absolutely forced Martinez to take the Dzinziruk fight and didn't give him any other option right fight AFTER he knocked out Paul Williams and was fighter of the year. Maybe force isn't the right word because HBO can't really force anyone to fight anyone. They can just simply not buy whatever other fights. Can you link whatever article you're referring to?

wouldn't he say about it when he was asked about Rigondeaux? That's simple way to shut everyone around him up about Rigo. If he's not doing that, it makes me think there was never any negotiation. Simple logic.
                  He said it then and he's saying it again now in OP's article. Rigo's team is absolutely stalking Donaire and pay attention everything he says. They would have come out and denied it by now. Rigo is getting paid around 100k fighting in PPV undercards. Mathebula probably made the same to fight Donaire on HBO. I highly doubt Rigo's team would be asking Donaire for only 100k since that's like the only possible payday for him in the division.

I have a feeling you lost a point of why are you even writing to me. Just some random facts that I never argued with. I said that Rigondeaux fight is better for HBO now than those last 3 fights were at the time they were made. If you want to discuss with me, discuss about that, or maybe I should answer about Rigos amateur career or something?
                  I read your post as Rigo was as better option than those other opponents at the time. If I misunderstood you, I apologize. But if you don't deny what I'm saying, you can't really claim Donaire has been ducking Rigo for the reasons I said. I don't see why Rigo having more hype now (not back then) than the hype his last three opponents had at the time is of much relevance. It's irrelevant because the opponents available to him now are much better options than Rigo. Arce, Mares, and Nishioka are currently much more viable opponents either moneywise, popularitywise, or glorywise.

If you want to claim Donaire is ducking Rigo 3 fights in the future, go ahead. But it's a ridiculous notion. I only claim ducking on a fight by fight basis.

He does not have to fight Rigondeaux immediately, he just should face him before he moves up. And you believe he will do it with his "maybe Rigondeaux, 3 belts is undisputed" approach?
                  He said maybe because maybe Rigondeaux will finally do something of note that would make it more viable for him than going up in weight. (126 is loaded) If he lands a fight at 126 that makes him more money than fighting Rigo before he moving up, I don't blame him. If you want to pretend fighters don't fight for the money, then you're living in a fantasy land.

Right now, I have very little interest in ever watching Donaire vs Rigo. It's a shity styles matchup and it would be boring. I watch boxing to be entertained. While I wold rather watch Donaire against Rigo than Arce, Arce is the money fight every fighter wishes for so I don't blame him. He deserves it.

My opinion about Rigo can change in the future. His performance against Kennedy was a good start. If Rigo does something of note or at least has a string fabulous performances that creates a ton of hype (hype on hardcore boxing forums doesn't matter) while Donaire is fighting Arce, Nishioka, and possibly Mares, then I'll change my mind about Nonito ducking Rigo. Right now, I just don't see it.
                  Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 07-13-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PED Salesman View Post
                    +1
                    LOL at people trying to play manager for their favorite fighter. In this division, the best fighting the best gets you fans.There are no "casual" fans watching boxing unless Mayweather or Pacquiao are fighting.Where is a casual fan going to hear about Donaire from?
                    This, a thousand times over lol. The casual fan doesn't even know what the f**k a super bantamweight is, let alone calling for a mega fight with one.

Which is why Nonito isn't headlining any PPVs anytime soon until he decides to move to Lightweight. You want to talk about a big demand in the 122 division, there is no bigger demand than Rigondeaux-Donaire. None. Check your blogs, check the sites, articles, comments. Then get back to me about what the "casual fan" is expecting. All of you Donaire apologists saying if Donaire wants a "real" fight he should fight Nishioka, and although i agree with him earning his #1 spot at 122, how many "casual fans" have heard about the japanese superbantamweight champ?

Please, go somewhere with the "boxing business" explanations. The only business that is being minded here is the no business Nonito has stepping in the ring with Guillermo Rigondeaux.
                    Last edited by MalikKnucklez; 07-13-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Frankly I don't get this argument about Rigondeaux not being a huge attraction as if Donaire and/or other guys around the lower weights are these huge box office attractions.

Donaire probably gets many residual casual Pinoy fans because of Manny and some fans from who his hometown, but who is he in the grand picture again? And I realize that you can apply that to pretty much everyone except the top dogs, but the casual fan probably gives even less of a **** about two midgets getting it on so I don't see the point about letting the fight cook.

Comment

Working...
                      X