No announcement yet.

The Gamboa situation.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gamboa situation.

How did he get away from Bob Arum that easy? Something seems off about that. Especially a kid that talented that Bob knows Mayweather wants. I doubt it was something as simple as buying out his contract. Hopefully Bob didnt put a clause that lets him out but he still ends up getting a cut and then no promoter wants him. Just feels odd.

I can't imagine a scenario where TR isn't getting some sort of % rights of the next "X" number of Gamboa's fights. TR more then likely would have won the court case against Gamboa, but ended up with a fighter that would sit on the shelf before fighting for him. Given that situation (getting a %), TR still makes money on a top fighter without having to deal with shelling out the time/money in his promotion and an unagreeable fighter. We all know that Arum's not gonna just walk away from a fighter like Gamboa saying 'everyone's happy' - without some kind of compensation (and somewhat 'sticking it to him') in Gamboa's future earnings. You can pretty much bet on TR still making money on Gamboa when he fights, for some time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorily View Post
      I can't imagine a scenario where TR isn't getting some sort of % rights of the next "X" number of Gamboa's fights. TR more then likely would have won the court case against Gamboa, but ended up with a fighter that would sit on the shelf before fighting for him. Given that situation (getting a %), TR still makes money on a top fighter without having to deal with shelling out the time/money in his promotion and an unagreeable fighter. We all know that Arum's not gonna just walk away from a fighter like Gamboa saying 'everyone's happy' - without some kind of compensation (and somewhat 'sticking it to him') in Gamboa's future earnings. You can pretty much bet on TR still making money on Gamboa when he fights, for some time to come.
      I think you hit the nail on the head.

I remember reading an article (I think it was on this site) where Arum said he found it harder to market Cuban fighters outside of Miami.

If there is any merit to that then Gamboa's new promoter/promotional banner will have to reap the headaches that accompany Arum's sentiments.

Therefore, taking a percentage of Gamboa's future earnings without shelling out the time and money to promote him whoever is promoting him makes perfect business sense.

Comment

looks like gamboa's situation was shady to begin with and tr knew that it wasn't a home run if they went to court, thats the only logical explanation. Because other than that no way they would've let him off so quickly

Comment

Don't know what's so hard to understand about this case. Gamboa, obviously, has investors investing in his career in exchange for potential lucrative fights. He's basically in huge debt to these/this investor/s and have to produce the kind of money they want. Question is, can he become big enough to make the kind of money even lesser stars like Khan, Alvarez, etc. make?

Comment

I'm sure he paid less than Floyd (750Gs?) to get out of the contract....Floyd carries that amount in a nap sack. One good PPV and Gamboa is in the black.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorily View Post
              Don't you ever post on this forum ever again without first posting on my page. It's in our contract. This is called breach of contract, you need to honor our agreements. I will not take legal action against you this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgarcia View Post
                Don't know what's so hard to understand about this case. Gamboa, obviously, has investors investing in his career in exchange for potential lucrative fights. He's basically in huge debt to these/this investor/s and have to produce the kind of money they want. Question is, can he become big enough to make the kind of money even lesser stars like Khan, Alvarez, etc. make?
                Yeah he can become big enough. If he goes up in weight, like 135 which he says he can, then makes his way to 140-147. He'd be a big star.

140-147 even though those weight classes aren't what they use to be 3-5 years ago, they're still very popular and have a lot of popular names that Gamboa can actually beat. I can see Gamboa beating Maidana, Matthysse, Soto those type of guys which he has a stylistic advantage over. I canalso see him beating an old Marquez and Judah. And of course 147 is the big money weight class where by the time he gets there, if he ever does[ I think it's a stretch but money makes fighters do these kinds of jumps], there would be maybe Pacquiao would still be there, Bradley Khan, Alexander, Berto maybe would still be there, Guerrero, Malignaggi.

For Gamboa's age, I know he wants the big money fights and he's gonna have to make a big sacrifice and leap over to the top dogs. Win or lose, he'll make his money, because he's a name and and he's so small, bigger opponents will always want to fight him. So he'll be in big demand in 140-147.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Don't you ever post on this forum ever again without first posting on my page. It's in our contract. This is called breach of contract, you need to honor our agreements. I will not take legal action against you this time.
                  I got your breach right here, cupcake. Don't you ever post to me in that tone of letters again in yo life. I will take that contract and use it for toilet paper, and sprinkle it with a little legal action against YOU at this time MISTER.

Comment

Gamboa's contract with Oner was illegal, so he didn't have the right to negotiate with any promoter on his behalf and that's what I think was the point, Oner had Gamboa signed until the next millennium and that violate the Ali act.

Comment

Working...
                    X