Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do boxers lie with excuses after a loss to save face (psychologically) ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do boxers lie with excuses after a loss to save face (psychologically) ?

I wonder if most boxers almost make up and believe these excuses as way of retaining self confidence instead of admitting all the hard work and effort during a life dedicated to the craft wasn't enough to get them a win.

Whats your thoughts I probably could have worded it better but most of you will get the jist of what I mean. Is it human nature to not want to admit another man/woman has bested you whether in fighting competition. How much you earn, scoring with the opposite sex etc etc.. Is it all just a pride thing not being able to give props naturally.

It always feels forced when i see a fighter being complimentary after a loss. Is being gracious a lost art in today's society full of trash and a few good folk left.?

Comment

Sure they lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksfan View Post
        Sure they lie.
        No **** lol. That's what I'm getting at with this thread is it a inbuilt response most of us have or is it a fragility of the warrior mentality mostly shared amongst boxers?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr dimensional View Post
          No **** lol. That's what I'm getting at with this thread is it a inbuilt response most of us have or is it a fragility of the warrior mentality mostly shared amongst boxers?
          It's a pride, nothing else.

Comment

David Diaz gave a great post fight interview after he was stopped by Manny.

Comment

Yea thats my theory actually. I think in a team sport its easier to lose cuz there are so many potential reasons that you lost besides you were 2nd best that day. In boxing the #1 reason you lose is cuz you were 2nd best that day. But I think lying to yourself helps insure you can get up tomorrow & feel like you can beat anyone in the world, which is what I believe the mindset of the top guys in any division are. Obviously most guys are wrong, but to become the best the first thing you gotta do is believe you can be the best which often needs a lil push with some faking it til you make it or straight up old fashion delusion.

Comment

I wonder if most boxers almost make up and believe these excuses as way of retaining self confidence instead of admitting all the hard work and effort during a life dedicated to the craft wasn't enough to get them a win.

Whats your thoughts I probably could have worded it better but most of you will get the jist of what I mean. Is it human nature to not want to admit another man/woman has bested you whether in fighting competition. How much you earn, scoring with the opposite sex etc etc.. Is it all just a pride thing not being able to give props naturally.

It always feels forced when i see a fighter being complimentary after a loss. Is being gracious a lost art in today's society full of trash and a few good folk left.?
                Can you give us some examples?

I can think of a lot of scores that were bad where the fighter didn't complain when they should have. Some guys make up bullshít stories like David Haye which is why I'm interested in your examples.

I think it's a case by case basis.

Comment

Pride probably, but I think it might be some kind of defense mechanism as well. Pro fighters need to be very confident, even bit delusional and believe that they are among the best (but still know that there is always room for improvement in training). And we all know that some fighters have losses that they mentally never recover from. So might be that kind of defense mechanism as well, I have heard so ridiculous excuses in sports that sometimes I think they actually believe that stuff themselves rather than straight up lie knowingly

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                    Can you give us some examples?

I can think of a lot of scores that were bad where the fighter didn't complain when they should have. Some guys make up bullshít stories like David Haye which is why I'm interested in your examples.

I think it's a case by case basis.
                    Where do I start in recent memory, Manny's shoulder against Floyd, wrong socks. Etc Kell saying against both ggg and spence that if his eye was fine he'd of won both fights.

All of Hayes recent losses no explanations needed lol. Jeff horn recently with blistergate. Degale against truax 1 Degale b1tching afterwards. Eubank Jr delusional after Groves schooled him even Sr set him straight after the fight.

Lemeuix has built in excuses after every single loss. Lara recently against hurd believing he'd won the fight. There's more but I can't think of any at this time I'm tired.

Comment

Working...
                    X