No announcement yet.

HW Champions on the under-card.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HW Champions on the under-card.

Because of another thread I stumbled across the fact that Jimmy Braddock was on the under-card for Sharkey-Dempsey and got to wondering, how many other future champions fought (unnoticed) preliminaries in other great fights.

I know Tunney was unimpressive against one Soldier Jones on the Dempsey-Carpentier under-card. Although he looked bad, Tunney claims his position at ringside for the main event showed him where Dempsey was weak and claims he began his campaign for the HW title that night. Eh! Maybe.

Does anyone know of any other future HW champs appearing on under-cards? (For big fights, where everyone watched, but didn't notice the guy coming up.)

--- Big George was infamously the supporting undercard in an Puerto Rico featherweight card against jimmy young.

Ali had been ducking him as the #1 contender. Larded Lar who was still slim then was fighting some nondescript novice, kinda showing his level of being excluded from the Golden Four of Ali, Joe, George, and Kenny.

Comment

I believe Holmes was on the undercard of The Thrilla in Manila.

Comment

Mike tyson & buster douglas both fought in separate bouts in the michael spinks vs Steffen Tangstad undercard.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          I believe Holmes was on the undercard of The Thrilla in Manila.
          Holmes, 16-0 at the time, defeated Duane’s brother Rodney Bobick by a 6th-round stoppage.
          Also on the undercard, 18-year-old Filipino Rolando Navarrete, who lost a decision to a seasoned countryman.

Nearly six years later, Navarrete KO’d Cornelius Boza-Edwards in five to win the WBC super feather belt.

And several years later, Navarrete popped up in the queue to Manny Pacquaio’s daily hour of meeting with the country’s poor, where Manny handed out some money.
          Navarrete, after a 76-fight career with 56 wins, owned nothing and was living on the street.

Last edited by Ben Bolt; 07-23-2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Wilder has been on dozens of undercards.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
              --- Big George was infamously the supporting undercard in an Puerto Rico featherweight card against jimmy young.

Ali had been ducking him as the #1 contender. Larded Lar who was still slim then was fighting some nondescript novice, kinda showing his level of being excluded from the Golden Four of Ali, Joe, George, and Kenny.
              I watched the ABC telecast live when it originally aired. Foreman - Young was definitely the TV main event. The Escalara-McGarvey Jr. Lightweight WBC title fight was the televised undercard. The Larry Holmes fight from that card wasn't televised.

The phenomenon of future champs fighting on undercards has become much more commonplace since the late 70's due to multiple titles, exclusive contracts with promoters, and fewer club fights and regional weeknight cards.

Comment

Originally posted by SaturdaysRadio View Post
                I watched the ABC telecast live when it originally aired. Foreman - Young was definitely the TV main event. The Escalara-McGarvey Jr. Lightweight WBC title fight was the televised undercard. The Larry Holmes fight from that card wasn't televised.

The phenomenon of future champs fighting on undercards has become much more commonplace since the late 70's due to multiple titles, exclusive contracts with promoters, and fewer club fights and regional weeknight cards.
                Now with streams becoming common on social media especially, some of this is coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Now with streams becoming common on social media especially, some of this is coming back.
                  Also closed circuit coming back. Some of Mayweather's fights were on closed circuit and the Golovkin-Alvarez 2 fight is advertised as being on it at different arenas as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X