Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why NYC needs to being back stop and frisk...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why NYC needs to being back stop and frisk...

Cops are unable to frisk known street dealers for drugs or weapons or they get sued. They cannot use their instincts or a witness who reports drug activity to frisk. Now they have this.

One block in South Harlem — just feet from Central Park — has become an open air “flea market for drugs” straight out of the 1980s, a Post investigation has learned.

Brazen dealers are slinging dope in broad daylight on St. Nicholas and Lenox avenues between west 111th and W. 112th streets — while addicts openly use crack and heroin and NYPD linger near by, apparently doing nothing.

“During any time of the night or day you’ll either see an active narcotic sale, active narcotic use, or someone out of their mind half naked and in a zombie state,” said a 42-year-old professional who lives nearby with his wife and 8-week-old baby and was too scared to give his name.

“I never would’ve thought one block from Central Park somehow open crack use is ok. It’s getting unbearable… my wife and I are thinking about moving to New Jersey at this point.”

On eight recent occasions between 8 a.m. and midnight The Post observed at least a dozen drug dealers, both men and women, exchanging small plastic baggies for money during prolonged handshakes.

The Post also witnessed multiple people openly smoking small white balls of crack on the sidewalk moments after purchasing drugs and in another case, saw a man passed out on a median in the middle of the street after smoking a drug from a glass pipe.

Nearby sat cop cars, but workers at the Wonder Fried Chicken & Pizza at 21 Lenox Avenue said the NYPD has not responded to their calls, even as the dealers have assaulted employees there and turned the eatery into their “headquarters.”

“I try to chase them out and they beat me up many times. They say ‘if you don’t like it, you go. We are not going anywhere. This is our spot,’ ” said a worker, whose called the NYPD “more [times] than the hair on my head.”

Enlarge ImageNYPD officers enter a bodega where alleged drug dealings occur outside the store.
    NYPD officers enter a bodega where alleged drug dealings occur outside the store.Richard Harbus
    “The police has no power over them,” the worker said. “They do what they want to do… I complain to the officers. I asked why not take them, arrest them. They say ‘when we go to court, the judge let them go.’ ”

The NYPD responded to the claims by saying: “The commanding officer of the 28 precinct and the narcotics borough commander are actively working. . . to eradicate narcotics, arrest perpetrators, and target quality of life crimes in the area.”

A source said that almost two hundred arrests have been made in and around the location, mostly for drugs, and 47 summonses issued for street level quality of life violations. Also, there is a 21% decrease in overall crime year-to-date in the 28 precinct, the source said.

But despite this, the brazen drug gang activity in the area wasn’t hard to spot.

In one occasion, The Post witnessed a dealer throw bags of drugs onto the counter at Wonder Fried Chicken and exchange them for cash before walking back outside.

When a Post reporter recently interviewed staff at the chicken joint, they pulled her behind the counter so the dealers would think she was from the Health Department.

Two of the dealers dragged chairs outside to the sidewalk and watched her through the window while she was inside.

“They are going to ask [who you are],” the worker warned
    The Post first learned about the chaotic area, which has seen at least ten felony assaults in 2019, on Jan. 4 when an emotionally disturbed man jumped on top of a box truck, stripped off his clothes and danced naked, sending at least three ambulances and dozens of police officers to the scene.

That day, staff at Wonder told The Post the naked man was just a glimpse into the daily madness they experienced from the constant drug dealing and using and they begged for help.

A few doors down from Wonder is the Fine Fare supermarket where The Post observed addicts exchange cans for cash at an outdoor bottle exchange while dealers stood by waiting, ready to trade drugs from the freshly earned cash.

On March 3 around 12:50 p.m., a pair of men were observed outside of the Fine Fare smoking crack out of a pipe, a resident told The Post.

The resident called 911 and when a pair of cops finally came, instead of searching the men or arresting them, they stayed inside their patrol cars and put on their emergency lights until the men walked away.

“I called a sergeant from the 28th precinct and said ‘what’s happening? I feel like I’m wasting my time. I’m not gonna call 911 anymore… why weren’t they arrested?’ ” the man questioned.

He’s like ‘no, no, no. That’s not the way things work. the police officer sees them smoking crack, they can’t do anything. If they search them, they’re going to get sued, so they won’t do it,’ ” the sergeant said, according to the resident, in an apparent reference to post-stop and frisk policing.

Jennie Rivera, 37, who works at the Lenox Pharmacy at 27 Lenox Avenue said part of the problem is the unique set up of the strip.

“This corner was almost designed to be this way,” Rivera said.

There’s the 110th Street “2, 3” train station, a liquor store, various restaurants and best of all, walking proximity to and from halfway houses and about a half-dozen homeless shelters, including a shelter for couple’s a block away that had a homicide in 2017.

“Police will hang out for a bit when it gets too rowdy, but that’s mainly on the weekends, and they never stay long,” Rivera said.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/24/this-b...ket-for-drugs/

If I'm not mistaken, the US Supreme Court has ruled Stop and Frisk to be unconstitutional. Anyways, this is a cultural and community issue. There's a reason why groups like Jews and various Asian groups are so successful in this country, they have a different cultural mindset to succeed. Until, the current cultural mindset is replaced within the community, programs like Stop and Frisk, even if still allowed would still fail this community. A community can only change from within.

Comment

Well I know were I'm going for my next vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
        If I'm not mistaken, the US Supreme Court has ruled Stop and Frisk to be unconstitutional. Anyways, this is a cultural and community issue. There's a reason why groups like Jews and various Asian groups are so successful in this country, they have a different cultural mindset to succeed. Until, the current cultural mindset is replaced within the community, programs like Stop and Frisk, even if still allowed would still fail this community. A community can only change from within.
        They did not, but liberals like to play semantics and word games and say they did.

I can get some links if you ask.

As for the cultural mindset, you are correct. And that must change or nothing will change in those communities. But any black person who says that is an Uncle Tom, and any non black person who says that is a racist.

Until that changes, the cultural mindset ain't changing.

Comment

It's a no-win situation, at the end of the day you can only blame c0cksucking cops who abuse their powers and repeatedly target people that they don't like the look of. Yes, there is a very good reason for stop and frisk which can prevent crime, but anyone who denies that it infringes on the rights of some individuals is in serious denial or is just ignorant (notice I said ignorant and not stupid, it's okay to not understand).

Maybe if police officers had to undergo further tests/training like "How not to be a c0cksucker" and maybe if they raised the IQ requirement to 120 or so stop and frisk could be implemented. At the end of the day it infringes on the rights of ordinary citizens going about their business. I am pro-gun, pro-free speech and anti-stop and frisk.

Comment

The problem seems clear to me. It's lazy policing. Who cares if the judge just lets them go. Do your fvvcking job. It's not the police's job to play judge. Their job is to serve and protect, and they are sitting around barely doing squat.

Of course if they see someone selling they can arrest them. OF COURSE if they see someone smoking crack, they can arrest them.

At first I thought this article is complete bullshlt, but then I realize that you (purposely....?? I hope not) edited information out that made it seem even more outrageous. Look at what you bolded...

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            He’s like ‘no, no, no. That’s not the way things work. the police officer sees them smoking crack, they can’t do anything. If they search them, they’re going to get sued, so they won’t do it,’ ” the sergeant said, according to the resident, in an apparent reference to post-stop and frisk policing.

Now go to the article. It does NOT say that.

“He’s like ‘no, no, no. That’s not the way things work. Unless the police officer sees them smoking crack, they can’t do anything. If they search them, they’re going to get sued, so they won’t do it,’ ” the sergeant said, according to the resident, in an apparent reference to post-stop and frisk policing.

How did a word in the middle of your paragraph get edited out???

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something here but to me there seems to be a HUGE difference between "stop & frisking" random mfers & searching a suspected drug dealer for drugs. I call bs on this being a legit issue.

Maybe the cops just need the law explained to them cuz idk who's anti-trying to get crack dealers off the street.

And good luck to any suspected drug dealer suing. We can't even get cops who murder unarmed civilians on camera out of a job very often ffs.

Comment

Liberal ran city, what do you expect

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
                  The problem seems clear to me. It's lazy policing. Who cares if the judge just lets them go. Do your fvvcking job. It's not the police's job to play judge. Their job is to serve and protect, and they are sitting around barely doing squat.

Of course if they see someone selling they can arrest them. OF COURSE if they see someone smoking crack, they can arrest them.

At first I thought this article is complete bullshlt, but then I realize that you (purposely....?? I hope not) edited information out that made it seem even more outrageous. Look at what you bolded...

Now go to the article. It does NOT say that.

How did a word in the middle of your paragraph get edited out???
                  The article does indeed include that paragraph, down towards the bottom. I did not take any editing liberties.

I'll take the word of the police who have to do this job day in and day out over someone who is emotionally invested from a distance because it triggers their racial sensitivities. Yes, there may be times where the police become complacent or shrug off making arrests that in the end won't make a bit of difference, but more and more we see departments whose hands are being tied.

Comment

The article does indeed include that paragraph, down towards the bottom. I did not take any editing liberties.
                    You completely ignored what I'm telling you. I'm not saying that the paragraph is missing. I'm saying that you edited out a word. I'm simply asking you how is it that you copy and pasted an article, yet a word that completely changes the meaning of what you posted in bold is missing. Any explanation?

Your paragraph from the article:

Actual paragraph from the article:
                    “He’s like ‘no, no, no. That’s not the way things work. Unless the police officer sees them smoking crack, they can’t do anything. If they search them, they’re going to get sued, so they won’t do it,’ ” the sergeant said, according to the resident, in an apparent reference to post-stop and frisk policing.

Not sure why you're attacking me. All I'm asking is why the inconsistency. Do you have an answer?

Comment

Working...
                    X