No announcement yet.

How Much Do You Respect Holyfield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Do You Respect Holyfield

Now, theres no question in my mind Holyfield was the number one heavyweight of the 90s and has a good resume. However the trend now is to rag on him for butting and it seems thats getting tossed around more than ever now.

Thats not to say the other fighters have not resulted to dirty tactics themselves, how many times has Tyson hit after the bell or when an oppenent was practically down? Tons (before anyone brings him up).

However some of the really obvious butts (Michael Dokes for example, upon the knockout when he chased him) and the fact it gets mentioned a lot of times especially in his later fights makes me wish they hadnt happened so he looks better.

Do you think theyre always intentional? Am I seeing things? Or is it on average with the dirty tactics you've seen others pull off at the time? I respect him as the premier 90s heavy and working his way up, but some things makes me wince.

I really can't see how anyone can discredit Holyfield at all. The much smaller man constantly taking on the biggest and the best of the division, and winning.

A certified HOFer and an ATG..

Comment

That is my numero uno top fighter ever,,,,
      im not much of a fanboy but holyfield was my guy

He fought everyone, and i mean everyone

qawi
      de leon
      dokes
      buster
      foreman
      holmes
      cooper
      bowe
      moorer
      cyzz
      mercer
      tyson
      bean
      lewis
      ruiz
      rahman
      byrd
      toney
      donald
      valuev
      sultan
      botha

Dude fought 15 round championship fights and was still around in the klitchko era,,,,

plus he had the best boxing video game of his era,,,,

Comment

Holyfield probably wasn't the best heavyweight of the 90s but he certainly was one of the very best and he is still probably the greatest cruiserweight and considering the wins and fights he put up against the very best heavyweights of the 90s whilst being the smaller man only highlights his greatness. He marginally missed out on my top 20. His later fights shouldn't be held against him, the losses sustained at the back end of careers when the fighter is well past their peak should never count against a fighters greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
          Holyfield probably wasn't the best heavyweight of the 90s but he certainly was one of the very best and he is still probably the greatest cruiserweight and considering the wins and fights he put up against the very best heavyweights of the 90s whilst being the smaller man only highlights his greatness. He marginally missed out on my top 20. His later fights shouldn't be held against him, the losses sustained at the back end of careers when the fighter is well past their peak should never count against a fighters greatness.
          Who was a better heavyweight than Holyfield in the 90s?

Lewis can't possibly be "it".

Holyfield beat Bowe, as near a prime version of Tyson as was possible to beat...in fact, it wasn't just a win, it was beating Tyson at his own game. On top of that, he did so when his back was against the wall and everyone was shouting that he was done. I was there when the fight was stopped and the crowd was shocked, not because of the stoppage, they'd seen it coming for at least a couple rounds but because of the thorough shalacking Holyfield gave to the "Baddest Man on the Planet".

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
            Who was a better heavyweight than Holyfield in the 90s?

Lewis can't possibly be "it".

Holyfield beat Bowe, as near a prime version of Tyson as was possible to beat...in fact, it wasn't just a win, it was beating Tyson at his own game. On top of that, he did so when his back was against the wall and everyone was shouting that he was done. I was there when the fight was stopped and the crowd was shocked, not because of the stoppage, they'd seen it coming for at least a couple rounds but because of the thorough shalacking Holyfield gave to the "Baddest Man on the Planet".
            Holyfield beat a good but not the great version of Tyson. He beat Bowe once but lost twice, and yes I think Lennox Lewis was the number one heavyweight of the 90s.

Comment

Holyfield beat a good but not the great version of Tyson. He beat Bowe once but lost twice, and yes I think Lennox Lewis was the number one heavyweight of the 90s.
              Holyfield was better in the 90s... had lewis fought the 91 version of holyfield he would have gotten beat,,, just look at the rematch,, if that was a 90-94 version of holyfield or even the one that fought tyson, i dont like lewis' chances

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Holyfield was better in the 90s... had lewis fought the 91 version of holyfield he would have gotten beat,,, just look at the rematch,, if that was a 90-94 version of holyfield or even the one that fought tyson, i dont like lewis' chances
                Certainly possible but then is Riddick Bowe ahead of Lewis?

Comment

Certainly possible but then is Riddick Bowe ahead of Lewis?
                  styles makes fights as we learned in the 70s with frazier, ali, foreman, norton, young, etc

lewis would probably beat bowe as he had the better jab and i think that would get him thru on points,, but holyfield would have been much better at getting inside on lewis and landing,,

Bowe fought good inside vs smaller guys, but a rangy guy like lewis would cause him trouble

Comment

All Time fan favorire, anyone who can't appreciate Evander doesn't like fighters who come to the ring;
                    in shape
                    willing to win
                    at ALL costs (head butts, liver, kidney whatever) it fighting get over it!
                    in prime or out gives everything he has
                    great lyhvy in the amatuers
                    great fighter at any weight!

Tremendous competitor and he out fought and out smarter the "feared Tyson"
                    bullied the bull till the bully quit!

Great Fighter! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X