Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the gamboa fight concern anyone for crawford at 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the gamboa fight concern anyone for crawford at 147?

He was staggered by Gamboa, a very very small fighter that he was waaay bigger than on fight night.

How is he going to carry that power to 147? The guys at 147 are somewhat real sized men(in a way).

I like crawford but it's hard to see him stopping people the same way--Perhaps i'll be proven wrong.

What say you?

if they arent concerned, they should be. Fact is the one guy hes fought with decent skills, was lighting him up before the size difference told. Theres way more question marks regarding crawford than people think. People wont truly know what hes made of until he fights spence or thurman. However impressive hes looked so far, theres only so much you can gauge from beating B/C level guys. You can look as amazing as you want against them, it doesnt necessarily translate to looking good against elite fighters.

Comment

No, that was a better Gamboa. That was a good learning fight for Bud.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
        if they arent concerned, they should be. Fact is the one guy hes fought with decent skills, was lighting him up before the size difference told. Theres way more question marks regarding crawford than people think. People wont truly know what hes made of until he fights spence or thurman. However impressive hes looked so far, theres only so much you can gauge from beating B/C level guys. You can look as amazing as you want against them, it doesnt necessarily translate to looking good against elite fighters.
        Which was lots of us were saying about Golovkin and now you see we were right.

Comment

It was a good learning experience for Bud but one can't look at that fight as a barometer of what will happen at Welterweight. For starters, Crawford was killing himself to make 135 at that point and Gamboa was never a slouch. But as we saw Crawford adjusted and it was all she wrote after that. I recall people saying the same thing about him moving to 140. At 147 he's gonna be a lot stronger, not cutting as much weight and his power, speed, movement will all be in tact. I honestly don't think we've seen the best Crawford yet but these guys at 147 more than likely are gonna bring that out of him.

Comment

Im sure you have heard these phrases before, "speed kills" & "its the punch you dont see coming that gets you." I think these phrases define that fight. Gamboa, Khan, and Gary Russell Jr. at that time and probably still to this day, have the fastest hands in boxing. Given that speed, they can literally catch anyone or be competitive with anyone at or around their weight class. With that said, I dont see anyone at WW Champ with that kinda combination speed. I am interested to see though how Crawford can take Spences body attack doe.

Comment

For me, the only "legit" challenges I see for him at 147 are Thurman and Spence. Berto, Broner, Danny Garcia, Jessie Vargas, Pacquiao, Matthysse, NONE of these guys are beating Crawford let alone outside of Spence none have ever been very adamant about fighting him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
                I can't believe this but I have to green k you. Excellent post!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                  I can't believe this but I have to green k you. Excellent post!!!
                  aha thanks man.

Comment

Not overly but it's a small question mark IMO. The Gamboa fight was his first big fight at home and he was inexperienced at championship level. He was also weight drained back then (look at him at the weigh-ins or interviews before the fights) so that can affect his ability to absorb a punch. Look at Cotto at 140 wobbled by everything but fairly sturdy at 147 against bigger punchers, better fighters.

He grew a lot in that fight. Ultimately he was losing and used his size to overcome Gamboa but I think he's added a lot more facets to his game and so much more confidence in addition to no longer draining to make weight. I am not one of those people that believes fighters never improve unlike some around this place.

Comment

Working...
                    X