Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what stage does someone become a bum or gatekeeper?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosado is a gatekeeper, Khomitsky is a gatekeeper.

Personally, I don't think the term "bum" belongs in boxing, it didn't come out of Joe Louis's mouth, it came from sports reporters.
    Last edited by Weebler I; 04-10-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

To me, gatekeeper means a guy who fought for a part of the World title (even once) hasn't won it, and can only justify another shot by beating 3-4 prospects. This effectively never happens. It's not bad.
      How many people on Boxingscene can say they've even been in a ring, or ever had a fist-fight?

Bum is easy. Just isn't gonna make anything of it. Everyone calls fighters bums.
      I call some fighters bums. I call fighters bums even more when i've had a few. Context is everything though. You really should save that **** for people you've said "I have nothing but respect for anyone who laces um up" in front of, enough times that they'll remember you saying it.

Saying "he's a *****" or "he's a bum" "he's a coward" about every fighter you hate, in front of everyone well, show me a scrapbook with all those classics you were in, cuz you just sound like some gay ass fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
        When they have more losses than wins? When the lose x number of fights? When they lose x in a row. When do you class a fighter as a bum or gatekeeper?
        Simple

when a fighter seems to have displayed their peak and that level is below the top level.

A la Matthew Macklin; he's shown that he can fight beyond domestic/regional level and succeed but, whenever pushed to that top level, he falls just short.

Comment

A gate keeper and a bum are two entirely different things. I don't like the term bum but it would mean something like a guy who lost often and was a poor fighter. A gate keeper is a fighter who is good enough that if a good fighter beats them that fighter might get a title shot. Like when Maidana beat Broner and earned a title shot or when Guerrero beat Berto and earned a title shot. If your a bum nobody earns a title shot by beating you.

Comment

Bum to me, a true bum is someone who never makes it big, maybe a part-timers, has a horrible record sometimes with more losses then wins and usually is a step up fight for young prospects early in there career that may have superstar potential. A Gatekeeper is someone that is competitive or at least puts on a good show but still in there to lose.

Comment

On NSB usually when someone loses they are
              A. Exposed
              B. Bum
              C. All the above.

Comment

Bums are usually guys most of us have never heard of, club fighters fighting on the side with a ton of losses. And/or dudes you see the prospects feasting on in their first 10 or so fights. Journeymen are decent fighters who will give top prospects good experience but have a slim chance of winning unless the prospect turns out to be all hype. Gatekeepers are the dudes who were once champs or contenders and just don't have it any more, guys who will give up and coming fighter a sturdy test to see if he's legit or not. That's my view on those terms at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
                  When they have more losses than wins? When the lose x number of fights? When they lose x in a row. When do you class a fighter as a bum or gatekeeper?
                  When you become known for losing in your biggest fights

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    Bums are usually guys most of us have never heard of, club fighters fighting on the side with a ton of losses. And/or dudes you see the prospects feasting on in their first 10 or so fights. Journeymen are decent fighters who will give top prospects good experience but have a slim chance of winning unless the prospect turns out to be all hype. Gatekeepers are the dudes who were once champs or contenders and just don't have it any more, guys who will give up and coming fighter a sturdy test to see if he's legit or not. That's my view on those terms at least.
                    well said brah

Comment

I don't say "bum" but when a fighter can't get into he top ten and still keeps prospects out by beating them, I guess then he is a gate keeper.

Comment

Working...
                      X