Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I took up boxing at 54 years of age...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the responses.

Eff Pandas: Definitely going to get a double end bag and/or speed bag. Have to figure out how to anchor the double end bag in my garage though.

Rockin': What would a fair price be to get some light sparring practice from someone? Still not sure about the sparring since I recently had an almost $3,000 bridge fitted over my upper front teeth.

sccb: You've inspired me. Can I ask what Vegas gym you currently train at?

abracada: Interesting percentages. Not far off from the people I see at the health club. Had to laugh at the assembling a box quip.

Comment

I think that $10-$30 would show your appreciation. I mean how many rounds are you able to work in a row, 2 or 3 maybe?....Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        I think that $10-$30 would show your appreciation. I mean how many rounds are you able to work in a row, 2 or 3 maybe?....Rockin'
        Some guys preparing for a fight, amateur or pro, would grab that work for free if the style fits or sometimes even not.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
          Thanks for the responses.

Eff Pandas: Definitely going to get a double end bag and/or speed bag. Have to figure out how to anchor the double end bag in my garage though.

Rockin': What would a fair price be to get some light sparring practice from someone? Still not sure about the sparring since I recently had an almost $3,000 bridge fitted over my upper front teeth.

sccb: You've inspired me. Can I ask what Vegas gym you currently train at?

abracada: Interesting percentages. Not far off from the people I see at the health club. Had to laugh at the assembling a box quip.
          I train at "old school boxing" gym. It is in San Diego as that's were I live. It is run by Ernest Johnson and ex pro. His son runs the sparring sessions and he was also an ex pro. Emmanuel (Renegade) Robles trained there (Pro junior welterweight) until this year when he got deported. We have several competitive amateur fighters. I got lucky with good trainers. I picked the right gym for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by scbb View Post
            I train at "old school boxing" gym. It is in San Diego as that's were I live. It is run by Ernest Johnson and ex pro. His son runs the sparring sessions and he was also an ex pro. Emmanuel (Renegade) Robles trained there (Pro junior welterweight) until this year when he got deported. We have several competitive amateur fighters. I got lucky with good trainers. I picked the right gym for sure.
            Ive actually read some good things about that gym.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
              9% thought it was a training course on how to assemble a box.
              lol, that's exactly how they got me...….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                lol, that's exactly how they got me...….Rockin'
                You and Anorak both.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  You and Anorak both.
                  Anorak. …..Rockin'

Comment

Respect to both of you for training at the age that you do, it's honestly inspiring

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
                      ...and no I didn't join a boxing gym even though Vegas has plenty. I'm likely too old for sparring anyway. Just got tired of the health club scene with weights and machines and treadmills and wanted something more activity based.

Been doing this workout in my garage 2 or 3 times a week along with a little swimming, running, biking and calisthenics:

4 three-minute rounds of shadowboxing and 4 for heavy bag work, 3 minute rope skip, 3 sets of dumbbell power cleans, 3 for dumbbell squats, 3 for dumbbell military press, 3 for lateral raises, one minute of dumbbell shadowboxing(very slow, movement, no snapping), 1 set of burpees, stretch.

(Only 1 minute's rest between rounds, sets and exercises.)

I was hoping some people could critique this workout as well as offer some footwork drills since my feet appear to be nailed to the floor when I try to move. Is a speed bag worth the money do you think?

Some say I should join a boxing gym if only to learn some fundamentals but I don't know at my age. I think I'd be too tempted to try and spar and then get my face smashed in.
                      Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      Respect at deciding to take up some boxing, gym or not.

Personally I think a speed bag is a worthwhile addition to your gym. And I'd highly recommend getting a double end bag. When I used to train the most fun I had training was on the heavy bag & double end bag. And for me the more fun I had the more energy it gives me making a nice lil symbiotic situation with getting in shape + upping my game quicker.

Good luck pursuing this further whatever you decide to add to your training equipment.

you should spend a lot of time on the footwork drills, when i used to coach amatuers i used to make them "dance" with me, we would move around the floor as we were in the ring and i'd make them do exercises in boxing footwork. i was really heavy footed but after a few years of doing the exercises with the kids my footwork got alot better also.
                      my favorite thing besides the heavy bag was the suspended bag, my hands were getting faster. it was just like giving someone a left hook to the head. reading this thread makes me miss training, but someone gave me a heavy bag to hang up in the backyard so i think i'll be doing this again also.
                      i hope you older guys, the 55 and 57 year olds keep training, i have seen some research papers on boxing training for parkinson's patients and it did amazing things for their muscle control and balance problems. personally, i would like to keep training as long as i possibly can

Comment

Working...
                      X