Say What Ever You Will About James Toney The Man

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I've been posting but just seldom.

To be honest I opened the thread and had no intention of posting but I guess everyone was expecting it so I had to

These conversations become tiresome anyway with all the ridiculous excuses. So predictable.
    Whatever it takes. Just glad to read some of your insight again.

Comment

I watched him as he tried sweating out those last ounces. I watched him sparring, trust me when I tell you that he was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
        OK - I see what you mean; I read it as him arguing that showing up out of shape was irrelevant to greatness not as an excuse for his performances.

For me, a fighter who consistently appears for fights out of shape is out of the running for 'greatness'

Some people refer to him as a throw-back fighter, he was certainly tough (and kind of mean) but I would argue he was more akin to a barn-stormer than the professional fighters of the 30s and 40s.

To sing his praise though I would say Toney was the type of fighter who could give just anybody a difficult time; nobody walked through James Toney.
        I can agree with that 100% no one (except Roy Jones) had an easy time with Toney.

Tiberi did beat him clearly IMO but I wouldn't say easiy because Toney is awkward and hard to hit cleanly alot of the time.

Even someone like Reggie Johnson who IMO also beat Toney and for the first 6 rounds dominated him but he let Toney back into the fight which is something he did tend to do sometimes.

Agree with you 100% though on everything you said.

Toney failed to dominate or convincingly beat the vast majority of top guys he faced but he wasn't dominated either outside of Roy so that's something to say about him.

But that's not greatness though.

Comment

[QUOTE=IronDanHamza;18841231]But that's not greatness though.[/QUOTE

Do you think, he deserves to be in the HOF one day?

Comment

[QUOTE=Bundana;18841258]
            Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            But that's not greatness though.[/QUOTE

Do you think, he deserves to be in the HOF one day?
            Certainly. First ballot Hall Of Famer for sure.

But not an ATG.

Comment

--- Agree with Dan.

If not for being loyal to golden boy, he'd be broke and forgotten. Oscar kept him propped up pretty good past his sell date.

Comment

--- Plus, his exit from the ring was pure golden comedy that ain't ever gonna be duplicated!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  --- Agree with Dan.

If not for being loyal to golden boy, he'd be broke and forgotten. Oscar kept him propped up pretty good past his sell date.
                  James Toney was never with Golden Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    James Toney was never with Golden Boy.
                    --- Apologies all. Obviously mixed up with a parallel thread about Popkins, bolstered by the equal comedy of two ton being rolled out of the ring onto the floor like a keg on beer!

Easy mistake made after tending to a household chore, guffaws all for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      But as a fighter he was great.in vi
                      I victory or defeat great man.

Comment

Working...
                      X