Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 06-17-2018, 04:49 AM #1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Tariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond reputeTariq☆233 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,075.00
Default Slipping vs blocking

In a match, when should you slip punches and when should you block? Is it better to just block them instead?
Tariq☆233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-17-2018, 05:13 AM #2
Contender

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
mvooom is a splendid one to beholdmvooom is a splendid one to beholdmvooom is a splendid one to beholdmvooom is a splendid one to beholdmvooom is a splendid one to beholdmvooom is a splendid one to beholdmvooom is a splendid one to behold
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 6,702.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq☆233 View Post
In a match, when should you slip punches and when should you block? Is it better to just block them instead?
Never been in a boxing ring but I have been in a couple of fights as a kid.

I fought this very slick guy, seen him fight many times so we all knew he was a ghost. He started it off with a hard punch on me, instantly I retaliated firing as hard as I could at a sure target. He ducked and I felt instant pain in my arm for missing so hard. The fight went on like that until I had to wrestle him to the floor to gain some sort of advantage.

Another guy I fought, this time I was counter punching while he was missing wildly. He tired mentally or physically within a few minutes but we were kids like 13 years old, not trained fighters.

I would say it's better to just slip punches all night long, give nothing for the opponent to hit or use as moral boost for the next punch.
mvooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:02 AM #3
Amateur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
scoobietoobie is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,007.00

cant say im an expert havent had my first fight yet but spar every week just about. The drills we do on mitts we parry the jabs and counter with our right, and slip their rights and come back with a left hook (assuming both orthodox)
scoobietoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:58 AM #4
Contender

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
tcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,989.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq☆233 View Post
Theres a time for both. When trying to get inside I think slipping is better, and when moving out its generally preferred for me to block.

ie slip a jab to get inside to hit them in the body a couple times, then roll out or you can just jump back out with your hands up to block an retaliating straight punches, etc.

In amateur boxing I think slipping punches is better as the judges then won't have the opportunity to confuse the punches you blocked as landed punches, but once again they are both situational.
tcbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:14 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,779.14
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 
Keep'in them real - jaded nice post - lefthook2daliva Top Rated Consistant Poster - ironmt 

You learn to block first. Then you learn slipping techniques. All for the ability to counter, you counter quicker off the slips than you do blocks! Being first is always a huge part of winning.

ray
Ray Corso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:13 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
abracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,173.32
Total Points: 14,382.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbender View Post
Theres a time for both. When trying to get inside I think slipping is better, and when moving out its generally preferred for me to block.

ie slip a jab to get inside to hit them in the body a couple times, then roll out or you can just jump back out with your hands up to block an retaliating straight punches, etc.

In amateur boxing I think slipping punches is better as the judges then won't have the opportunity to confuse the punches you blocked as landed punches, but once again they are both situational.
Agreed... slip them, more visually appealing
abracada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
abracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 14,173.32
Total Points: 14,382.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corso View Post
You learn to block first. Then you learn slipping techniques. All for the ability to counter, you counter quicker off the slips than you do blocks! Being first is always a huge part of winning.

ray
Agreed, slipping more skill and means you can setup counter easier
abracada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:59 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,779.14
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas one of the greats - jas 
Keep'in them real - jaded nice post - lefthook2daliva Top Rated Consistant Poster - ironmt 

"quicker off the slips than you do blocks"!

Being quicker is the key, nothing is "easier".
If your slipping on a shot and letting your counter go as your moving then that counter is moving "quicker" than a block & throw!
The key is making the slip very small so your not out of position to throw! To many slips today are only a defensive move, far to big of a motion.

Ray
Ray Corso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:21 AM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3763 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 20,746.19
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corso View Post
"quicker off the slips than you do blocks"!

Being quicker is the key, nothing is "easier".
If your slipping on a shot and letting your counter go as your moving then that counter is moving "quicker" than a block & throw!
The key is making the slip very small so your not out of position to throw! To many slips today are only a defensive move, far to big of a motion.

Ray
Keep schooling them Ray!
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
blocking, slipping

User Tag List