Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some religious people ridicule Sciences beliefs on how the Universe came to be

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by arraamis View Post
    People often wonder what the Meaning of Life is, and a common interpretation is that the word "meaning" in this question really means "purpose". A simple biological answer to the question is that the purpose of life is long-term reproductive success, but this answer isn't quite what people are looking for, perhaps because the intended meaning of the word "life" in the question is something slightly different from its straightforward biological meaning, and "life" really refers to a person's mental life.
    Dorrell 2005
    The universe so far hasnt allowed long term reproductive success of any species on Earth. Plus our sun like all stars will eventually die. All life as we know it will become extinct.

I dont see how the universe was somehow intended to support life.
    And therefore id dont see any sign of a designer or purpose.

Comment

• In The Demon-Haunted World, Carl Sagan wrote:
      Science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.

Comment

You should add IMO ...... because that is all it is, in reality.

Me personally, I try not to ridicule or negate any theory, I know, I don't have sufficient evidence to disprove.

Some find it easy to ridicule other belief systems because their understanding is that they either know it all or enough to do so. Often, these are the ones proven to be silly over time.:wank:
        Originally posted by Saint Anus View Post
        The universe so far hasnt allowed long term reproductive success of any species on Earth. Plus our sun like all stars will eventually die. All life as we know it will become extinct.

I dont see how the universe was somehow intended to support life.
        And therefore id dont see any sign of a designer or purpose.
        sir u are an enlightened man

Comment

• Who cares?

We're here.

Drink, get *****, watch boxing. :mangler:

Comment

• Originally posted by MANGLER View Post
            Who cares?

We're here.

Drink, get *****, watch boxing. :mangler:
            This is a pretty boring response.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack D. Ripper. View Post
              Ignorance, amigo.
              Ignorance on both sides of the aisle .....

There is no such thing as a totally\completely without a doubt, proven theory that religious beliefs are right & exact or that the Big Bang is right & exact or that evolutionary concepts are right & exact.

They are all religious\theoretical concepts and beliefs ......

None of which, have been proven 100% to be totally accurate\reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kevin- View Post
                They say "oh the big bang yeah nothing just blew up and made everything".

But then their beliefs is that God/or a higher being created the Universe him/herself and when you ask them how was God created, they say he/she is so powerful and so great that he/she created itself.

Okay so nothing just created itself and became something?
                Doesn't that sound pretty much the same, like isn't it hypocritical to make fun of the big bang theory while your theory is just as "stupid" as what you're making fun of and sounds pretty much the same?

This is an actual question of mine, Kevin, that I have been wanting to ask for a while.
                Honestly its just the battle between creationism and evoloution i believe in both,i believe we were created by god and have been evolving since.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kevin- View Post
                  They say it with so much passion like "Haha yeah sure nothing just blew up out of nowhere" But then they have the nerve to say God created itself out of nowhere!?!? I can not argue that in person I get so mad

I got so pissed at one of my religious friends because of that.
                  i've been thinking this **** out everytime i hear a religious person saying this **** on here but i dont want to argue 4 the same reason you presented

its ****ing stupid

Comment

Ignorance on both sides of the aisle .....

There is no such thing as a totally\completely without a doubt, proven theory that religious beliefs are right & exact or that the Big Bang is right & exact or that evolutionary concepts are right & exact.

They are all religious\theoretical concepts and beliefs ......

None of which, have been proven 100% to be totally accurate\reality.
                    There is a massive difference in a scientific theory which is backed up with enormous amounts of evidence, and a belief in things that cannot be proven and there is no evidence for.

A scientific theory isnt like a belief or a vague hypothesis. It becomes an established theory because of the evidence which all points to it being true.

Very different from a simple guess, or a supernatural belief.

Comment

• Who cares?

We're here.

Drink, get *****, watch boxing

Comment

Working...
                      X