No announcement yet.

"Finessing" your way through the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Finessing" your way through the fight

This is the new term you are going to become familiar with.

Thurman uses it a lot, when he describes how Floyd used to work his way through fights. Then, Thurman used it to describe his own performance against Garcia, particularly the second half of the fight.

And I heard Jacobs trainer use it to.

It sounds good, doesn't it? "Finessing". Kinda makes you think of something being done with supreme skill.

You wanna know what it really means? What is it a euphemism for?

It's when your game plan is cautious, when you try to play the system, when you circle the ring and be awkward and flurry out, especially in the last 30 seconds. It's when you don't want to take risks, but are hoping the judges will fall for what it is you do, which you seem to think works on a higher skill level to what your opponent (invariably a flat-flooted plodder) is doing.

Let's get REAL for a second.

Jacobs was tight, he was cautious, he was wild, he was off balance, he hung on in there, he was awkward but he got controlled by a smaller, older fighter who he clearly outweighed by a weight class. Golovkin was in control of that fight, Jacobs couldn't really break the defence of a guy who didn't need to run around the ring to avoid punches. Golovkin's jab was on point, his defence was on point, he had the added advantage of a KD, he hurt Jacobs other times too. I'm going to blow your mind - Golovkin OUT-BOXED Jacobs, who was graded on a curve because expectations of him were so low.

But as long as people keep being seduced by the idea that the fighter on the backfoot "finessing" his way through the fight is the more skillful, the more you are going to see fighters play the system, hoping to eke out tight decisions.

Er, yeah, Golovkin was no where near in control and certainly not for the entirety or even an extended period.

I doubt even his team and he himself would attempt to claim that.

Comment

I agree, it's just another word for "don't take any chances. and land in bursts to impress the judges"

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
        This is the new term you are going to become familiar with.

Thurman uses it a lot, when he describes how Floyd used to work his way through fights. Then, Thurman used it to describe his own performance against Garcia, particularly the second half of the fight.

And I heard Jacobs trainer use it to.

It sounds good, doesn't it? "Finessing". Kinda makes you think of something being done with supreme skill.

You wanna know what it really means? What is it a euphemism for?

It's when your game plan is cautious, when you try to play the system, when you circle the ring and be awkward and flurry out, especially in the last 30 seconds. It's when you don't want to take risks, but are hoping the judges will fall for what it is you do, which you seem to think works on a higher skill level to what your opponent (invariably a flat-flooted plodder) is doing.

Let's get REAL for a second.

Jacobs was tight, he was cautious, he was wild, he was off balance, he hung on in there, he was awkward but he got controlled by a smaller, older fighter who he clearly outweighed by a weight class. Golovkin was in control of that fight, Jacobs couldn't really break the defence of a guy who didn't need to run around the ring to avoid punches. Golovkin's jab was on point, his defence was on point, he had the added advantage of a KD, he hurt Jacobs other times too. I'm going to blow your mind - Golovkin OUT-BOXED Jacobs, who was graded on a curve because expectations of him were so low.

But as long as people keep being seduced by the idea that the fighter on the backfoot "finessing" his way through the fight is the more skillful, the more you are going to see fighters play the system, hoping to eke out tight decisions.
        that's a good post i must admit

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Er, yeah, Golovkin was no where near in control and certainly not for the entirety or even an extended period.

I doubt even his team and he himself would attempt to claim that.
          This!!

I think Golovkin was the deserved winner even though I didn't score it for him but trying to make it sound like Golovkin was in control is almost as bad as the people claiming Jacobs was robbed.

Also why do people keep making a big deal about the weight, Jacobs probably did have about 5-7 pounds on Golovkin in the ring but I'm pretty sure we expected that..... Yes!, Jacobs is the bigger guy but he's still a MW. The way these apologists are going on you would think Golovkin came into the ring weighing 160 and Jacobs 190. The reality is Golovkin probably came on at 170-175 and Jacobs 175-180.

Comment

Jacobs's gameplan certainly had Golovkin uncomfortable, but there were certainly a majority of rounds where Jacobs simply threw ineffective or inaccurate combos while Golovkin hit him with the clearly more accurate and effective shots.

People seem to be giving rounds to Jacobs for simply throwing punches and not taking punishment, even if Golovkin was clearly winning those rounds by landing a greater number of good punches. It's like the simple idea of Golovkin being uncomfortable means he was losing, even when he was the more effective fighter within these rounds.

Comment

abner mares used it aswell to describe how he beat cuellar

Comment

So in other words it's trying to stealing the round when you are running away, by throwing some powerless n risk-free shots every once. Being the butterfly but trying to disguise yourself as the bull.

Comment

Jacobs engaged enough that it's inexcusable that Golovkin didn't get much going for him, as much as I like Golovkin his inside game/ or lack thereof can be pathetic to watch. It's weird because he understands he doesn't need to load up, solely touching his opponents to set things up as he edges closer but when he sits in the pocket, he refuses to just touch guys to the body, it's gotta be heavy or nothing, frustrating to watch.

Then again this is nothing new for me, I understand this and it's why I favor Canelo if the two ever meet.

Comment

Lots of fighters do it ,its not new as a tactic ,maybe term is new doe

Comment

Working...
                    X