Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does clean punching, ring generalship, and defense only matter when Mayweather fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
    clean, effective punches landed is what you count in a fight

the rest is nothing but pretentious bull**** and redundant crap

defense doesn't count for **** when it comes to points

I don't care if you make your opponent miss more than a drunk guy trying to hit a pinata, if he still outlanded you and hurt you because you were too busy doing your sweet pea stuff to even throw punches in that round, then sorry, he won that round.
    So does that mean you think Canelo won? Because clean effective punches tend to leave some nasty cuts and bruises on the face.

Honestly, I felt like Canelo was throwing everything but his kitchen sink at GGG and the dude was just not getting rocked by any of it. Although that left hook in the 2nd round from Canelo was probably the closest we will ever see GGG to getting hurt. It still did little more than put some doubt in GGG.

His chin is ridiculous, but you can't tell me that in a war between 2 power punchers, the guy with the disfigured face won the fight....
    Last edited by Zinowor; 09-17-2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinowor View Post
      So does that mean you think Canelo won? Because clean effective punches tend to leave some nasty cuts and bruises on the face.

Honestly, I felt like Canelo was throwing everything but his kitchen sink at GGG and the dude was just not getting rocked by any of it. Although that left hook in the 2nd round from Canelo was probably the closest we will ever see GGG to getting hurt. It still did little more than put some doubt in GGG.
      No, I think it should have been a draw, both were unable to clearly impose on the other

GGG's chin is legendary, he's on Toney or Mercer level..but yeah this was the closest he's gotten to being hurt, he looked really umcomfortable at times with those body shots, if GGG ever gets ko'd it will be by body shot, because his chin is just granite

regarding post fight skin damage, that doesn't prove that much, otherwise Pacquiao clearly lost to Joshua Clottey

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        ..?

I saw a fighter this weekend control the ring, show superior defense, and land the cleaner/harder shots (higher percentage of shots) and the Boo birds are still crying...

Anyways thats part of the reason boxing gets a bad look. Its like this weekend was about who was more Mexican vs. boxings "supposed" rules...
        Id say a good percentage of the people who saw Canelo win are Mayweather fans who believe this strengthens Mayweather's resume.

Otherwise, they wouldnt be complaining that GGG asked for a war, and then boxed in the middle of the ring before going to war in the later rounds when Canelo had faded.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the exact same thing that Floyd did every fight?

"Its gonna be a war! Im gonna give the fans what they want! Im coming to fight!"

Then boxes carefully to an easy wide UD.

But now all the Floyd fans are up in arms about how GGG had the nerve to box. But it was okay for Canelo to do it the first time, after saying mexicans dont **** around, then dodging GGG for 2 years, saying he was coming to fight, and the running.

Maybe its okay for both fighters, and prefight antics are just mind games to try and get your opponent to behave in a way that will play into what you are working on in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          No you have to score fights differently based on what they say pre fight, duh. And don’t forget you automatically lose rounds when your face swells up
          but not when your nose is bleeding and you are cut, if you are canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
            nooo...no...not if includes commentary. Actually joe rogan had a decent idea...he was saying there should be like 10 judges watching on tv monitors somewhere else entirely.
            I think this is probably how it should be done.

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
              No, I think it should have been a draw, both were unable to clearly impose on the other

GGG's chin is legendary, he's on Toney or Mercer level..but yeah this was the closest he's gotten to being hurt, he looked really umcomfortable at times with those body shots, if GGG ever gets ko'd it will be by body shot, because his chin is just granite

regarding post fight skin damage, that doesn't prove that much, otherwise Pacquiao clearly lost to Joshua Clottey
              It's impossible to "clearly" impose on GGG, because you can't hurt him and he doesn't tire.

But I did feel like Canelo imposed himself more on GGG than the other way around and he landed more and better power punches. He did get completely outjabbed by GGG but to be honest, without that jab from GGG this wouldn't have been a competitive fight.

I would even say that when your jab is the only thing keeping you in the fight you lost. I felt the same way about Lara vs Canelo. Jabs are important, but you can't get crapped on in the power punches department and then think your jab will make up for it.

Comment

Yeah I was wondering the same. Canelo was the aggressor, controlled the center of the ring while dictating the fight, had better defense and landed more clean punches in more rounds apart from the jab. And no Jim Lampley, GGG's jab isn't the same as a power punch.

Comment

You can still lose roundw despite the other guy not being able to fight his fight.

I believe Canelo was controlling the tempo of the fight but he still lost a few rounds because GGG was able to do well enough despite not being able to do what he originally wanted. Like everyone pointed out GGG wasn't going to the body. It would have benefited him if he did, but he still won plenty of rounds in that 24 rounds without landing a single body punch.

Essentially, in some rounds, GGG's plan B or C was enough to win rounds and that's what happened on some rounds on the judges scorecards.

It was a close fight and I have no problem with Canelo getting the decision, but Canelo's ring generalship, clean punches, etc were exaggerated a bit just because GGG didn't do what he was supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by kushking View Post
                    You know god damn well what im trying to say,read your comment again & then see the compubox that shows your wrong.
                    I said Mayweather threw a lot of jabs in the Canelo fight and they were counted as punches. So I guess you want me to say Mayweather didn't throw a lot of jabs against Canelo and the jabs that landed weren't counted as punches.??

Comment

Wildin' Wilder says

it only matters with mayweather. cotto outboxed canelo too and no one gave him credit for it

Comment

Working...
                      X