Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was there an embarrassing amount of BS writers picking Lacy to destroy Calzaghe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Well you can't know unless you were a fan of the sport back then and posted and followed the news, rankings, and performances of the two. I wasn't even here yet so I don't know why. Bunch of people now use the hindsight bias cause it's easy to assess the fight and fighters after the fact. But you would not make this thread in 2006.
    I'm 35 and was indeed a fan back then. I never posted on forums in 2006 but I read through them. All the American writers were biased as ****. A lot of the Brit writers were also completely buying the hype.

Comment

FYI, it was also Brit writers.
      Yeah, a lot of be Brit writers as well as I stated in my last post.

Comment

Looking at Lacy's resume and Calzaghe's resume leading up their fight I can see how the hype occurred. Syd Vanderpool, Omar Sheika, Robin Reid, were solid guys. Reid was a top 10 SMW at the time, Lacy knocked him out and went behind Kessler and Calzaghe as #3. I can see he was kinda like an up and comer type of story who had potential I guess.

I kinda agree with BennyST although yeah, GGG is a lot better. Lacy had 210 amateur fights which is a lot, but failed to make it in the Olympics. While GGG won Gold at the Olympic games and world championship. So GGG's hype is a little more warranted, but he's pretty much fighting the same level of opposition as Lacy was fighting pre Calzaghe.
        It's all about the eye test as well though mate. GGG is clearly a technical marvel as well as a beast. Lacy looked completely rank but seemed to be knocking chumps out. Look at Wilder right now. Knocking chumps out but is absolute garbage at boxing.He is going to get found out real soon like Lacy was.

Comment

I was not around at the time, so I can't know who I would have picked. I like to think I would have picked Calzaghe, but who knows. I'm not into KO artists, always been a boxing guy. Also at the time I liked Calzaghe, I was not a member here yet but used google boxers and I remember Calzaghe came up, I youtubed him, liked him then put a picture of him on my Myspace "profile", along with Arturo Gatti, Mayweather, Arthur Abraham and Roy Jones I'm serious, this was before the Lacy fight, before I got into Boxingscene.

And all i'm saying is I can see how at the time, a case could have been made for Lacy being a destroyer. He was the clear best after Calzaghe and Kessler, ranked at #3 by The Ring at 168 and wins over guys who were solid at the time.

Comment

Because he beat the great Omar Sheika

Comment

Looking at Lacy's resume and Calzaghe's resume leading up their fight I can see how the hype occurred. Syd Vanderpool, Omar Sheika, Robin Reid, were solid guys. Reid was a top 10 SMW at the time, Lacy knocked him out and went behind Kessler and Calzaghe as #3. I can see he was kinda like an up and comer type of story who had potential I guess.

I kinda agree with BennyST although yeah, GGG is a lot better. Lacy had 210 amateur fights which is a lot, but failed to make it in the Olympics. While GGG won Gold at the Olympic games and world championship. So GGG's hype is a little more warranted, but he's pretty much fighting the same level of opposition as Lacy was fighting pre Calzaghe.
              What do you mean he failed to make it in the olympics? I'm pretty sure he was on the 2000 olympic team. To be honest I was super nervous about the fight as a Calzaghe fan, but I knew as long as he didn't get blasted it in a round or two he would do well, and more importantly I knew then he was a very good fighter. Obviously I didn't think he would do that well, and at that time I didn't know that he was more than a very good fighter.

What made it great at the time, especially on NSB was there were so many people who were convinced he was a complete bum ready for the taking.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                What do you mean he failed to make it in the olympics? I'm pretty sure he was on the 2000 olympic team. To be honest I was super nervous about the fight as a Calzaghe fan, but I knew as long as he didn't get blasted it in a round or two he would do well, and more importantly I knew then he was a very good fighter. Obviously I didn't think he would do that well, and at that time I didn't know that he was more than a very good fighter.

What made it great at the time, especially on NSB was there were so many people who were convinced he was a complete bum ready for the taking.
                I know. And I know him and Taylor were in the same team. He failed to make it = didn't win anything.

Comment

I was not around at the time, so I can't know who I would have picked. I like to think I would have picked Calzaghe, but who knows. I'm not into KO artists, always been a boxing guy. Also at the time I liked Calzaghe, I was not a member here yet but used google boxers and I remember Calzaghe came up, I youtubed him, liked him then put a picture of him on my Myspace "profile", along with Arturo Gatti, Mayweather, Arthur Abraham and Roy Jones I'm serious, this was before the Lacy fight, before I got into Boxingscene.

And all i'm saying is I can see how at the time, a case could have been made for Lacy being a destroyer. He was the clear best after Calzaghe and Kessler, ranked at #3 by The Ring at 168 and wins over guys who were solid at the time.
                  This was the fight that forced me to join and post on NSB. I couldn't take the Calzaghe slander any longer, and I couldn't take the uneven buildup of everyone saying Lacy was going to wipe the "bum" out. Reading all the comments and threads compelled me lol.

Comment

I know. And I know him and Taylor were in the same team. He failed to make it = didn't win anything.
                    Ah ok, I would still consider him a pretty decorated amateur, and I think that actually added to the hype, as people were convinced that not only was he a wrecking machine, but he had the foundations and technical side to his game. It really was unbearable at times.

Comment

Lacy had a lot of hype behind him

Comment

Working...
                      X