Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name Some Successful Fighters Who Started After Age 30...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Some Successful Fighters Who Started After Age 30...

Are there any successful boxers who started late in the game or debuted after the age of 30?...I know there are plenty of boxers who started in their late 20's but what about early to mid 30's?...

Rigondeaux comes to mind...

So I did some research...Guillermo Rigondeaux turned pro at 29 in 2009 and turned 30 about 6 months later by his 4th fight later that year...to be a champion with just 15 fights at 35 is truly amazing...

Comment

He started boxing as a little kid, no one who steps into boxing for the first time at age 30 will have any real success.

Comment

Most of those type of guys were probably the Cuban guys who had long amateur careers before defecting. Ramon Ledon didn't fight for too long, but he did fight for a title against Garcia and he turned pro after 30.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcupide2 View Post
          He started boxing as a little kid, no one who steps into boxing for the first time at age 30 will have any real success.
          I don't know...Nate Campbell debuted a month before his 28th...whether its ones first time boxing or not, debuting at a late age and doing great in the sport I find fascinating....

Comment

Originally posted by mrcupide2 View Post
            This.

I'd be hard pressed to name guys who started after 20 that became successful outside of HW's due to HW being a historically a lesser skilled division where your prime tends to come later & where you can get further on just having power.

Comment

Anyone who supports wards bum tour is racist. Plain and simple. Its a color thing

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                This.

I'd be hard pressed to name guys who started after 20 that became successful outside of HW's due to HW being a historically a lesser skilled division where your prime tends to come later & where you can get further on just having power.
                Bernard Hopkins...went to jail at 17 and learned how to box there got out 4 years later and debuted at 21...

Sergio Martinez debuted at 22...

"Before boxing, Martínez was a keen cyclist and football player and it was not until 1995 that he decided he would become a boxer. After being trained by his uncle, Ruben Paniagua, Martínez began boxing as an amateur and compiled a record of 39–2 (39 wins to 2 losses), the losses came by way of majority decision and knockout."

"Martínez at the age of 22, had his first professional fight on 27 December 1997 in Ituzaingo, Buenos Aires, Argentina"

I know they weren't close to 30 but they started late or after 20 and they're not HW either...

Comment

Originally posted by TripleGFightFan View Post
                  I don't know...Nate Campbell debuted a month before his 28th...whether its ones first time boxing or not, debuting at a late age and doing great in the sport I find fascinating....
                  Campbell is a good example of someone who started at over 20yrs who had success. Campbell didn't start boxing til he was 24.

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
                    Anyone who supports wards bum tour is racist. Plain and simple. Its a color thing
                    Isn't Ward bi-racial (white and black)?...I never looked it up but a lot of people say he's bi-racial (white and black)...

Comment

Working...
                    X