No announcement yet.

What the hell happened to Abner Mares??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
    Still a massive fan of his. Last I read he was attempting to reschedule his fight with Cuellar. If he should win that fight I'm sure it would shoot him back into relevancy. He had an amazingly tough hitlist since the bantamweight tournament a few years back but after he got Bombed on by Jhonny, he pretty much took some easy fights. Then he also had some eye issues recently and was forced to cancel his duel with Jesus.
    I hope the best for Mares but I hope he doesnt hold up the Cuellar fight much longer. I would love for Oscar Valdez to get a shot a Cuellar if the Mares fight doesnt come into affect.

Comment

Life happened. Did he ever express desire to rematch Gonzalez? Sometimes that's the only way a traumatised fighter can get his mojo back.

Comment

He was scheduled to fight in the Thurman-Porter show but failed a physical.

Comment

Same thing that happens to all Haymon fighters, it seems. He's horribly inactive. On top of the toll his terrific run at 118 and 122 took on him, he's probably nothing more than a name at this point.

It's a shame, because Mares was a damn good fighter for a few years there.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
            Life happened. Did he ever express desire to rematch Gonzalez? Sometimes that's the only way a traumatised fighter can get his mojo back.
            iirc he did lip service to that rematch but I don't know if he ever pursued it

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
              This is what happens when fighters get paid too much money, no longer have desire to fight unless for big money.
              Pretty much.

Comment

War torn but hes still a top featherweight IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X