Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing needs USA vs. Great Britain rivalry to gain more interest in mainstream

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing needs USA vs. Great Britain rivalry to gain more interest in mainstream

British boxers would help the sport grow in America, we need a rivalry of our own you have Mexico vs. Puerto Rico which is big business in boxing. This is the only thing that will help American boxing. Have American fighters fight against talkative arrogant British boxers like Kell Brook.

Let them do interviews, put them on different commercials, press tour, 24/7 and have them talk big smack. Americans many of them don't like the Brits and vice versa, as witnessed when Hattons fans booed the American national anthem while in Las Vegas, and the American fans were furious and flying in the air when Floyd knocked out Hatton, even people who didn't like Floyd were rooting for him that night.

Rivalry country vs. country has always been what helped boxing get huge, its an international sport America vs. Great Britain would be big business especially since British fighters speak good english and many of them love to talk trash back.

USA vs Mongolia.

Comment

No. To get massive maainstream interest again, because the only time you hear about boxing in the mainstream is Floyd or Pacquiao, is for America to produce a good heavyweight.

Comment

Once an American heavyweight that's a legit threat to the Klitschko emerges boxing will be brought back to life. I don't see why it's not getting mainstream attention already but if what I mentioned happens it certainly will. A UK vs USA rivalry would be good but I only like Haye and Jennings.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          No. To get massive maainstream interest again, because the only time you hear about boxing in the mainstream is Floyd or Pacquiao, is for America to produce a good heavyweight.
          Well its hopeless because American Heavyweights are garbage, bloated, fat, or timid and lazy. heck heavweights in general are a joke now.

Comment

but we're supposed to be best m8s.

Comment

I don't agree with you about rivalry between countries being what makes boxing get huge. Good fights and good fighters help boxing. Speaking for myself I'm from New Mexico USA I could care less which country a fighter comes from. I am a fan of boxers, not countries. I root for the fighters I like no matter where they are from or where their opponent is from. I an rooting for Canelo over Mayweather and I rooted for Pacquiao over Bradley and Matthysse over Peterson and I will root for Matthysse to beat Garcia. If GGG fights Quillin I'll be rooting for GGG. Lots of English fighters are big trash talkers and that is just annoying to me. It doesn't make the fight any better. Look at all the trash Haye talked before he fought Wladimir and then look at the way he fought. The USA is the biggest country for boxing and the best American fighters don't need to go to England to possibly get robbed unless an Englishman has a belt they want. The Englishmen sometimes need to come here to possibly get robbed if they want to make it big in the quickest amount of time. Brook, Khan, Hatton, Fury and others all came to fight in the USA to speed their careers along. Many good fighters from other countries like GGG, Matthysse, Khan, Maidana and Macklin do their training and fighting in the USA because Vegas is the fight capitol of the world.

Comment

Boxing in America is doing pretty fine even with the Heavyweight division being utterly terrible i owulsn't mind a USA vs UK rivalry

Comment

Open the door get on the floor, everybody do the Chisora.

Comment

I don't think Americans are really like Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Filipinos and Brits in terms of supporting fighters based on nationality. As far as I've seen they tend to support ethnically or on locality (fans support a fighter from their local city) but rarely do they support nationally.

A lot of American fans will even support foreign fighters over their local fighters as long as they're more entertaining.

I can see a lot of Americans supporting Canelo (even non Mexi-Americans) over Mayweather whereas even though at the time Eubank wasn't popular Brits would never have supported Rocchegiani or another foreign fighter over Eubank.
                    Last edited by Weebler I; 06-26-2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X