Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would grade it a B+

Comment

Originally posted by gibo View Post
      The dude sucked. Always had the advantage in his favor in every major fight. Beat up OLD Chavez, and Whitaker. Ran from TITO who suffered to make 47, fought hopkins and FAKED the KO. Got embarrass and humilated by smaller SSM PBF and PACQUIAO! and ran from Margarito and Cotto, both he would of beat! A money making boxing entertainer, but not much of a true fighter.
      He didn't run from Cotto, he was willing to fight Cotto.

Comment

I give DLH an A for the quality of opposition he faced, throughout his whole career he fought the best at their best (the exceptions being Chavez and Whitaker, but you have to take into account that Oscar faced them when he was still gaining experience).

As for his resume (taking into account his wins and losses) I give him a B. Although he faced good opposition he also lost most of his fights against elite competition, and he was also handed a gift decision or two.

That being said, DLH defeated a lot of great fighters and even his biggest critics can't deny that he almost always fought the best.

Comment

Originally posted by urrah View Post
          I give DLH an A for the quality of opposition he faced, throughout his whole career he fought the best at their best (the exceptions being Chavez and Whitaker, but you have to take into account that Oscar faced them when he was still gaining experience).

As for his resume (taking into account his wins and losses) I give him a B. Although he faced good opposition he also lost most of his fights against elite competition, and he was also handed a gift decision or two.

That being said, DLH defeated a lot of great fighters and even his biggest critics can't deny that he almost always fought the best.
          didn't he have like 300 amateur fights? won the Golden gloves and a Gold Medal @ the Olympics?
          I know Pro fights =/= Amateur, but I would say a guy like Chavez jr is gaining experience as he fights due to his lack of an amateur background...
          De la hoya looked pretty experienced to me...

not saying I'm blaming him for catching them when they were past prime...

Comment

a+, dlh is an atg no matter what anyone says

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
              didn't he have like 300 amateur fights? won the Golden gloves and a Gold Medal @ the Olympics?
              I know Pro fights =/= Amateur, but I would say a guy like Chavez jr is gaining experience as he fights due to his lack of an amateur background...
              De la hoya looked pretty experienced to me...

not saying I'm blaming him for catching them when they were past prime...
              I know you acknowledged this, but pro fights are completely different to amateur fights. There's a significant difference between being hit by gloves designed to lessen the impact of punches while wearing head gear and being hit by gloves designed to allow as much damage as possible while wearing nothing for protection.

Amateur boxing and professional boxing are different sports, and the techniques and styles within each one are not always effective in the other. Even atg's such as Ali, Hearns and SRL, who each had over 100 amateur fights, still had 20-30 build up fights before they started facing elite competition in the pro's.

Even if DLH did deliberately catch JCC and Whitaker on they way out, neither of them were completely shot and they were both still relevant when he fought them. Besides, throughout the rest of his career he faced more than his fair share of fighters in their prime, so imo we should forgive him for taking on a few oldies while he was on his way up.
              Last edited by urrah; 01-03-2012, 07:46 AM.

Comment

The definition of a real man lol for real. It's hard to believe now lol. But Oscar was an hombre when it came to fighting, style and record wise. True gentleman lol. Too bad his addictions and distraction got in the way because I am sure he could have won a lot of the close fights he lost if it wasnt for cocaine and partying and wreckless blah blah.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                  Wait a minute...So you gave Floyd Jr, Pacquiao and Roy Jones resumes I think B- to B+ for those 3. But, you're giving Oscar an A- or an A?

And, no we don't know if Shane was on PED's the first fight we don't. We know he was on it for the 2nd fight but not the first. What we do know is that Oscar has yet signed the waiver. So we don't know what he was on either.

Oscar does not have a better resume than Floyd, or Pac, or Roy. He just doesn't.
                  Or bhop, or evander...

I say oscar is about 6-10 since 1990. People who say he fought everyone must be new fans because this is the group of boxers that didnt fight everyone (floyd etc). All those dudes fought everyone-oscar/tito/vargas/shane/mab/morales/vander/ike/winky. Oscar needed a couple bigger wins.

Comment

Oscar was jobbed against Trinidad and Mosley (Who was on PEDs for their rematch)

As it stands, his only real losses were to Sturm, Hopkins, Mosley, Floyd and Pacquiao. 2 of those were at a weight he should never have competed at. If he retired undefeated he would have been the GOAT.

A+ resume.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotime View Post
                      Oscar was jobbed against Trinidad and Mosley (Who was on PEDs for their rematch)

As it stands, his only real losses were to Sturm, Hopkins, Mosley, Floyd and Pacquiao. 2 of those were at a weight he should never have competed at. If he retired undefeated he would have been the GOAT.

A+ resume.

Comment

Working...
                      X