Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's embarrasing how little the mainstream media knows about boxing!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by puga View Post
    thats what all pretenders usuaully say to their defense......ask dumbass questions, it makes you look smart about he topic.......yeah right!l.....you aint folin anyone homeboy!......lol
    Once again, ignoring my simple question. What do I "pretend" about? Is it my boxing knowledge you're referring too?

Comment

Originally posted by SixFootGiant View Post
      A good way to help is to have Victor Ortiz punch Skip Bayless in the face im sure that will attract attention

Hope Richard Schaefer reads this, make it happen.

Don't underestimate the casual fans bro. Alot of people I know who are casual fans are talking about this fight. The fact that Ortiz just came off a FoTY candidate is perfect for them, because the million or so casual fans who saw the fight on the FREE HBOweekend, will most likely tell there friends, and the friends will spread it around etcetc. It spreads like wild fire.
      Maybe, but Ortiz is by far the least recognizable/bankable fighter that Floyd has fought since Baldomir. It's just going to be him selling the card alone, unless the undercard is dynamite. Just don't see how this fight outsells either the Hatton or JMM fights. I think this might be Floyd's Clottey-like fight, but at least he'd have 24/7 (I'm assuming) so that always adds buyers. Could be wrong, but big numbers are always good for boxing regardless of whether or not I like the fighter, so hopefully I am.

Comment

Boxing has almost been relegated to the same position as backyard wrestling in the mainstream sports media. They treat it almost as if it's an underground sport. Golf, Nascar, MMA, Billiards, Bowling, Horse Racing, Hockey, Volleyball, Badminton, Lacrosse, tiddly-winks... bascially any and everything that isn't boxing get more thorough coverage by sports networks like ESPN.

Comment

Mayweather has surpassed Oscar De la Hoya.

Floyd can fight just about anybody and do over a mili buys.

To think that HBO and GBP has their work cut out for them to try and sell this fight is pretty laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
            Mayweather has surpassed Oscar De la Hoya.

Floyd can fight just about anybody and do over a mili buys.

To think that HBO and GBP has their work cut out for them to try and sell this fight is pretty laughable.
            Well, this will be a great test of your hypothesis. Ortiz has no real fan base or public profile. Just don't see how Mayweather coming off an even longer 'retirement' against a proven PPV performer in Marquez or taking on a name commodity like Hatton in a mega hype fight will be outdone/matched by some random kid from Kansas who most casuals couldn't pick out of a lineup.

But w/e I'm not getting a cut either way. My bed beckons.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
              Well, this will be a great test of your hypothesis. Ortiz has no real fan base or public profile. Just don't see how Mayweather coming off an even longer 'retirement' against a proven PPV performer in Marquez or taking on a name commodity like Hatton in a mega hype fight will be outdone/matched by some random kid from Kansas who most casuals couldn't pick out of a lineup.

But w/e I'm not getting a cut either way. My bed beckons.
              Because, Floyd like Pac are so popular right now, are 2 most known fighters right now. That they could fight just about anyone and do a around a mili.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
                Maybe, but Ortiz is by far the least recognizable/bankable fighter that Floyd has fought since Baldomir.
                Correct. But there's a big difference though. Ortiz has a couple things going for him that Baldomir didn't... he's young & Mexican-American. With some clever marketing + with Mayweather's name recognition in the general public, this is at the very least going to exceed the numbers of the Marquez fight by 100,000-200,000 PPV's.

Comment

Originally posted by Player3 View Post
                  Correct. But there's a big difference though. Ortiz has a couple things going for him that Baldomir didn't... he's young & Mexican-American. With some clever marketing + with Mayweather's name recognition in the general public, this is at the very least going to exceed the numbers of the Marquez fight by 100,000-200,000 PPV's.
                  Also, Floyd became a huge PPV attraction after the DLH fight, he wasn't as popular when he fought Baldomir.

Comment

Honestly, ESPN doesn't know **** about sports in general. They follow the NBA and NFL, the rest of the sports they do a piss poor job. I used to like Sportscenter and use ESPN as a resource but I rarely if ever even tune in now. It used to be a good network but it no longer has good reporters, it's like they tell them you follow what makes the most money and forget everything else. The only shows I like are Outside the Lines and The SportsReporters(two shows that cover much of the less popular parts of sport).

Comment

Here are some questions for the ESPN journalists: Who did Victor Ortiz fight in his last fight? What weight class does Nonito Donaire fight in? Who is in the Super Six Boxing Classic finals? Somebody tweet these questions to Fatbon and Payless, I don't do twitter. **** ESPN, I miss the NBA on NBC. End rant.
                      Last edited by $tate of Mind; 06-08-2011, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X