Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence-Algieri Formally Announced, April 16 at Barclays

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is where Algieri lets us know if he wants to keep fighting at the elite level. If he can't beat Spence handily then who knows where he ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1010011 View Post
      Algieri won't test Spence's chin,but he will test his boxing ability and stamina. I see it as 60-40 in favor of Spence due to the difference in punching power,but algieri could possibly edge him over,due to having more experience at higher levels. Sadly,I think that if the fight ends up close,Spence will get the nod,just because they don't want to derail the prospect.
      Already got excuses lined up even before the fight begins? Not a good mental state buddy, deminishes your credibility.

As for Algieri giving Spence problems, that won't happen if he fights like he did against Amir Khan, I feel like the old, slick version of Algieri could have beaten Khan clean on the scorecards, this come forward-plodding version his new coach is tryna turn him into will just get him stopped by Spence.

I also believe Algieri would have the best chance of winning or giving Spence trouble if he found a balance between the pre-Amir Khan style and his current style, but if he simply uses his current style, he's getting stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Fangedgrowl View Post
        Got to give Algieri credit . Guy will fight anyone anytime. Fought Provodnikov, Pacquaio, Khan, now Spence. He has fought tougher guys than anyone still active.
        Yeah I got mad respect for the kid too, though I'm disappointed that this fight is being made coz I like both guys and hate the idea of either one of them losing.

Comment

Good fight....

Comment

Ticket prices aren't bad and the fights announced so far for the card are good for those prices as well.

Spence being a main shows he's being moved up...Spence is a big player in Haymon's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgeweather17 View Post
              Already got excuses lined up even before the fight begins? Not a good mental state buddy, deminishes your credibility.

As for Algieri giving Spence problems, that won't happen if he fights like he did against Amir Khan, I feel like the old, slick version of Algieri could have beaten Khan clean on the scorecards, this come forward-plodding version his new coach is tryna turn him into will just get him stopped by Spence.

I also believe Algieri would have the best chance of winning or giving Spence trouble if he found a balance between the pre-Amir Khan style and his current style, but if he simply uses his current style, he's getting stopped.
              Excuses? Trust me coach,I have no dog in this fight. I'm simply calling it like I see it. If he got the short end of the stick against Khan,then its only normal to assume that the same would happen if he's up against the kid who many people are calling "the one". Spence is a project in the making,and unless he gets really beat up or stopped,I don't see him losing on the cards any time soon. As for your analysis of the match,I'd say you're pretty spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                Spence is overrated. He gets hit clean a lot more than he should but he does have some serious power which is his redeeming quality. But so did Jeff Lacy.

Algieri could beat him if he has the right game plan, he should be able to box Spence's ears off if he's learned from and improved after the beat downs that Khan and Pacquiao gave him. Algieri has the right tools to do it. Whether he pulls it off is somewhat dependant on the game plan Jackson has in mind for him.
                what happened now? khan beat him down? algieri deserved that fight and landed the much cleaner punches. how does that get flipped into him getting beat down simply because he didn't get the decision?

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  what happened now? khan beat him down? algieri deserved that fight and landed the much cleaner punches. how does that get flipped into him getting beat down simply because he didn't get the decision?
                  Algieri only got 3 rounds, Khan beat him easily, the fight wasn't even close. I watched it again last week and Khan won clearly, they were in 2 different leagues. I don't know where this myth that Algieri did so well against Khan came about from, I'm guessing it's because he had good crowd support in his hometown, NYC, who were cheering for his every move + add the fact that Khan was expected to 12-0 him like he did to Alexander, but Algieri did better than Alexander so some people just blew that way, way out of proportion.

Watch the fight again though, it wasn't even close. 117-111 two judges had that score and it was the correct one. Khan 9 rounds, Algieri 3.

Comment

really good fight, tickets are super cheap too

Comment

Originally posted by Can'tHoldMeBack View Post
                      Have to agree win lose or draw algebra resume better then a lot of guys favorite fighters

I hear ya...he doesnt mind fighting the best or taking tough fights..the kid has mad heart and I definitely respect him

Comment

Working...
                      X