Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sergio Martinez hall of fame worthy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely. As it is, he had a very good run, three division champ.

Had he had the opportunity to enter boxing at a younger age, he would have been the one to completely unify 160. I'd pick a prime Martinez to beat GGG; a Martinez that could have been a pro for 5 years at the age of 23 with an extensive amateur career/record. That kind of Martinez I think would be one of the greatest boxers most would have ever seen live.

Comment

I don't think so, but he'll probably make it one day! I'd vote for Fernando Vargas before Martinez!

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
        Agreed. Sergio was one of my favorite fighters, but when I think of HOF I think it should only be the absolute best of the best.
        Originally posted by mathed View Post
        Absolutely. As it is, he had a very good run, three division champ.

Had he had the opportunity to enter boxing at a younger age, he would have been the one to completely unify 160. I'd pick a prime Martinez to beat GGG; a Martinez that could have been a pro for 5 years at the age of 23 with an extensive amateur career/record. That kind of Martinez I think would be one of the greatest boxers most would have ever seen live.
        I think he was a two division champ, matter.?

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
          I voted no. I think he is border line and might make it. He is better than some of the very average boxers who somehow got in the hall. He never beat anyone that good. Pavlic was fighting poorly at the time he lost to Martinez. He was a poor middleweight champ who fought weak challengers with the exception of Murray who really beat him but got robbed in Argentina. He ducked his rightful number one challenger GGG for years. GGG, a real future hall of famer never lost a single round to the same Murray who gave Martinez so much trouble. Martinez will probably end up in the hall of fame because the standards just aren't very high. I think he comes up just short of making it. I'd give the spot to Cotto who I think deserves it more although Cotto was also a poor middleweight champion. Cotto's overall record and his body of work is somewhat better.
          Oh come on man Martinez was shot after chavez jr he had surgery on the knee. You cant say that was prime Martinez. And who did Cotto beat?

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
            I think he was a hall of fame talent who perservered through all the bad in boxing (decisions, politics, etc). In a sense, he had an extremely satisfying career to follow as a fan because he earned it the hard way. He fought in a division (not his own) where he was outsized every fight due to fighting in this age where the best don't necessarily want to fight the best. He was a top 5 p4p fighter who had to constantly prove himself to everyone and was disrespected as a fighter and champion. His "reign" was short and under normal circumstances I'd maybe lean towards his career not being long enough at the top level but as we're coming into this age of GGG and/or Canelo you can start to see his quality. He's the best middleweight champ we've seen in a long time if you really think about it. It's been YEARS already and as we reflect back, there are a lot of undeserving men who've held the titles but we can all be in agreement he was not one of them. He was without a shadow of a doubt the one who held the torch and he did it with heart, class and avoided no one. Short as it may have been, I think that speaks volumes of a fighter in this age, in one of the most storied divisions ever. If Gatti can get in then why shouldn't one of the guys who if you made a timeline of 160, he'd take up a small chunk of it as being the undisputed king of it? Guys like Quillin, Lee, BJS, Lemiux, etc are what the average belt holder looks like. Let that sink in. If they're champions, guys like Martinez could only be called "super" champions if we judge by quality.

There wasn't a single soul brave enough to come up to 154 while he was lurking...as soon as he left, even Pacquiao manned up. None of the 154 guys dared challenge him at 160 either. I remember watching Roach as he helplessly told the cameras mid fight that Sergio was just too damn fast, he could do nothing but watch his gigantic JCC Jr fight a real talent.

Like someone said, the way the HOF is he deserves it with flying colors. The way it should be? I'm not so sure. Unlike Gatti (no disrespect to Gatti, I was a huge fan) he didn't leave his mark in boxing for being just an exciting fighter but for his actual quality.

I couldn't agree more. Your post was one of the best posts I've read in a long time. Guys willing to truly fight for what they want by going through true adversity and earning their status are becoming a rare commodity.

Comment

He is not first ballot, I put him in the lines of a Sugar Shane Mosley or a Nonito Donaire, but Mosley biggest win is tarnished by steroids.

He will probably get in but I dont think he should be first ballot others deserve to be in before him.

Comment

I have to echo what has already been said. He falls a little short normally, but the way the HOF is, if you're basing it on Gattie ect, then..yes.

I loved watching Martinez fight. Really liked his style.
                His performances/fights against Williams, Pavlik and Chavez were really enjoyable IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by LouIE G View Post
                  I think he was a two division champ, matter.?
                  He won several minor belts at 147......WBC Latino was one of them. It's not a major title I guess but he was still winning whatever "title" fights he could get at that time.

Comment

One of my favorite fighters, but him taking up boxing late caused him to peak late. Because of this he doesnt have a resume worthy of the HOF

Comment

Originally posted by RA-Box View Post
                      Yes, for the Hall of Fame as it is.

No, for the Hall of Fame as it should be.
                      ^^^this was perfect

Comment

Working...
                      X