No announcement yet.

Bob Foster vs Kov, Pascal, and Stevenson: who could hang with Bob

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Foster vs Kov, Pascal, and Stevenson: who could hang with Bob

Foster didn't fight a lot of top notch opposition but his dominance at the weight was almost unprecedented....by my knowledge, all his loses were above 175 and he blitzed a lot of his best competition''

He could be troubled by speed and movement but none of these guys are pure boxers with great mobility....Kov is the only one who has never been stopped out of this crop

Foster was huge for the weight but fought from a crouch and rolled punches better than anyone I've seen so tall for his weight

I think Kov would see the final bell and would probably win some rounds but I see Foster dropping him once or twice to pull it out

Pascal depends too much on his reflexes and fights in spots, he'd get stopped in the mid rounds

Stevenson is too reliant on his straight left and doesn't have much punch variance, a well schooled fighter like Foster would zero in on this after rounds 1-3 but would probably get dropped along the way to stopping Adonis in thlatter half of the fight

None would hang with Micheal Spinks the most underated champ in the history of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by chirorickyp View Post
      None would hang with Micheal Spinks the most underated champ in the history of boxing.
      boxing fans are so fickle.....this dude is a top 5 all time great at lightheavyweight and dominated a talent laden era. Also beat an ATG although past prime, for the heavyweight title. only to be remember as the guy who Tyson smashed in less than a round

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        boxing fans are so fickle.....this dude is a top 5 all time great at lightheavyweight and dominated a talent laden era. Also beat an ATG although past prime, for the heavyweight title. only to be remember as the guy who Tyson smashed in less than a round
        Michael Spinks had a lethal righthand & a very good hook! I'd pick him over Roy Jones at Light hvywgt. Roy jones was good , but his competition at Lgt hvywgt does not compares to Spinks. And as oppose to Roy Jones who became Hvywgt champ by beating John Ruiz (who would have never been Hvywgt champion in the 80's), Michael capture the Hvywgt title by a 15th rnd split desicion against a declining Holmes , who was still better than any version of John Ruiz. He won a 15th round unaminous desicion against Dwight Braxton in 1983 to unified the WBA & WBC belts, remember braxton aka quawi, went 15 rnds w/ Holyfield in 1986). Spinks also ko Eddie Mustafa Muhammed, Yaqui Lopez also by ko...

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
          Michael Spinks had a lethal righthand & a very good hook! I'd pick him over Roy Jones at Light hvywgt. Roy jones was good , but his competition at Lgt hvywgt does not compares to Spinks. And as oppose to Roy Jones who became Hvywgt champ by beating John Ruiz (who would have never been Hvywgt champion in the 80's), Michael capture the Hvywgt title by a 15th rnd split desicion against a declining Holmes , who was still better than any version of John Ruiz. He won a 15th round unaminous desicion against Dwight Braxton in 1983 to unified the WBA & WBC belts, remember braxton aka quawi, went 15 rnds w/ Holyfield in 1986). Spinks also ko Eddie Mustafa Muhammed, Yaqui Lopez also by ko...
          Jones vs Spinks is 50/50 in my book...both were unorthodox, with power....Jones was more elusive but Spinks was naturally bigger, taller and threw more punches. Would've been a great match up

Comment

Jones vs Spinks is 50/50 in my book...both were unorthodox, with power....Jones was more elusive but Spinks was naturally bigger, taller and threw more punches. Would've been a great match up
            I totally agree w/ you that it would've been a great fight between Spinks & Jones but you said it, Spinks was naturally bigger, taller & threw way more punches....nuff said!

Comment

Foster was 6'3" 175 and had a 79" reach!! His right hand was devasting and he was a mean fellow too!
              I know something about his career because I trained under Pat Nappi in Alb. New Mexico where Foster fought out of at the same time.
              Foster often was on call and would give away 15 to 25 pounds not even blinking an eye. Looked awkward in the ring because his style wasn't often used by someone his height. Foster could crack with the best and still has the hardest right hand at 175,

Koval right now doesn't have the experience yet to deal with Foster.
              Stevenson would run! Probably loose by decs.
              Pascal gets KO'd no doubt in my mind!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
                I totally agree w/ you that it would've been a great fight between Spinks & Jones but you said it, Spinks was naturally bigger, taller & threw way more punches....nuff said!
                Size and throwing a lot of shots wont cut it.....Spinks will be in with someone more awkward than himself for the first time and Jones will have to deal with the height and reach, deceptive speed

idk who'd win

Comment

Only Kovalev would have chance because of his great jab and crushing two handed power. I think Kovalev would have a shot at any 175 pounder. I would favor Foster to beat Kovalev but Kovalev is looking very good these days. If Kovalev gets to fight Ward and Stevenson I might learn more about him. Foster would knock out the others with no problem in my opinion and since Ward is moving up to 175 Foster knocks him out easily as well. Foster had everything but a real good chin. He had great height and reach, lightning fast hands and devastating power in both hands. He was a very good boxer too and his jab was a vicious weapon. When he lost it was usually by knock out to heavyweights. He must be one of the best 175 pounders in history.

Comment

Great points.
                    It blows my mind that Micheal Spinks is never mentioned. He always performed at his best, he always looked good, he boxed, he was hard to hit, and he knocked guys out. Most of his fights were on free TV. He fought the best collection of Light Heavies in my opinion and no one beat him.
                    And think about this, he beat Larry Holmes in the first fight (close in the rematch). He landed his jab often against the great Larry Holmes. He controlled "the" Larry Holmes with his jab and landed hard right hands often in that first fight. Remember that an even older Larry Holmes was very competitive against a prime Evander Holyfield and dominated a very scary Ray Mercer. Spinks knocked out Gerry Cooney. Cooney only lost to Holmes and Foreman.

What a career! I mean he was way ahead of his time before all of today's strength training advancements. The guy put on 30 pounds and kept his power and speed. He became the undeafeated true Heavyweight Champ (Holmes was that guy for 7 years). Nobody will ever do that again. Yet for some reason Micheal Spinks is forgotten. I don't get it. Did I forget he was an Olympic Gold medalist?

Comment

Working...
                    X