Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

View Poll Results: Will the UFC get into the business of Boxing?
Yes. And Boxing needs it 17 50.00%
Yes. Sounds like they'll try, but they'll fail 4 11.76%
No. This is pure speculation, won't happen 13 38.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 PM #1
USMCer USMCer is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California = Mecca of MMA
Posts: 1,110
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Rep Power: 6
USMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to all
Points: 15,857.88
Bank: 1,121.55
Total Points: 16,979.43
Default The UFC will get into promoting Boxing soon -- Call me crazy but...

Call me crazy, but I'm getting the sense that the UFC is going to get into Boxing.

There is no "brand" in the sport of Boxing.

When you say Football, you think The NFL
When you say Basketball, you think The NBA
When you say MMA, you think The UFC
When you say Boxing, ......?

The sport is there for the taking. It'd be an aggressive step, and take a huge commitment, and I think WME-IMG will be making a play to try to takeover Boxing.

WME-IMG made a huge investment in this thing (the UFC) and I think they see potential in Boxing. To establish themselves in the sport of Boxing in the "UFC" style.
  • Listen to Richard Schaefer speak about the idea behind starting the World Boxing Super Series
  • Listen to Dana White maybe hinting at something (I'm reaching here, admittedly, but still)
  • Think of the level of commitment/that kind of investment, and the potential in adding another sport
  • Think of TV distribution rights that the UFC has already established, and the potential multi-platforms



....

Last edited by USMCer; 07-11-2017 at 08:20 PM.
USMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 PM #2
USMCer USMCer is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California = Mecca of MMA
Posts: 1,110
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Rep Power: 6
USMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to all
Points: 15,857.88
Bank: 1,121.55
Total Points: 16,979.43
Default

Richard Schaefer talking why he formed this World Boxing Super Series

- "I've promoted many of Floyd Mayweather fights, Oscar De La Hoya's, and so many others. But I have to tell you this beats them all. This has the opportunity to become the brand in the sport of Boxing. A kind of tournament where fighters really wants to participate in because it elevates their exposure, it will elevate their career"
- @ 5:47:50 on [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]


Matthew Hooper
- "The idea started when the founders looked at what was missing in a sport that attracted huge audiences and multi-million dollar one-off fight nights. The answer was simple, 'No organized professional tournament'. Futbol has the hugely successful Champions League in Europe, Tennis has the Grand Slams, Golf has the Majors, Motor Racing has Forumal-1, Cycling has the Tour de France. We will bring together the best Boxers, the biggest arenas, and $50,000,000 will be the greatest annual prize in Boxing..."

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]


Dana White @1:00
- "Let me tell you what... to say this, after all the things that happened over the last 5 years, wait till you see what we're working on next. Obviously we're here in the [new UFC Performance Institute facilities, we built the new facilities for the employees]... wait to ya see what we're working on next. Next year we're gonna blow everybody away again..."

Dana White
@2:10 - "I'm back on the ball and doing my thing. I love it. I'm not going anywhere, and we're actually working on some crazy shht right now, and I'm looking forward to it. We'll blow eveybody's minds again next year... [Any hints]... We continue to take this sport to the next level... and now that we have all of our people in one spot and collaboration is a lot better... but aside from that, we're looking at how we take... combat sports to the next level"​

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

Last edited by USMCer; 07-11-2017 at 08:22 PM.
USMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:40 PM #3
Eff Pandas Eff Pandas is offline
Ignore List Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Camel Toe Capital of the World, Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 43,043
Quoted: 21359 Post(s)
Rep Power: 131
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,918.71
Bank: 1,016,853.73
Total Points: 1,019,772.44
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder you are one cool dude - Dean_Razorback 
Default

Idk about all that. I do think they will show boxing on Fight Pass eventually like they show other combat sports on Fight Pass, but there are too many issues with how the UFC operates & the Muhammad Ali act that would present problems for them so its not happening. They got enough problems with MMA & the Muhammad Ali act coming into MMA which could greatly alter how they do business if that gets passed.

I think likely they will be making some interesting moves with their new TV deal which is up next year. I think they could be exiting or altering their presence in the PPV market & going to HBO or going harder with Fox or another network to have monthly shows instead of just 4 per year. And I'm sure they got all kinds of other sh^t planned beyond that, but the TV deal being up next year is gonna be the thing that most impacts the UFC & their direction in the coming years.
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:44 PM #4
USMCer USMCer is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California = Mecca of MMA
Posts: 1,110
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Rep Power: 6
USMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to all
Points: 15,857.88
Bank: 1,121.55
Total Points: 16,979.43
Default

TV distribution platforms/rights....
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.


What drove UFC’s $4 billion deal - WME-IMG anticipates quadrupling next media rights contract, leading to expected IPO in the near future

By Michael Smith & John Ourand, Staff Writers
Published July 18, 2016

Unlocking the value of WME-IMG’s $4 billion acquisition of the UFC will hinge largely on the next round of media rights negotiations, where the UFC projects revenue to grow by nearly four times.

Based on numbers the UFC supplied to potential buyers during its sale process, it says that media rights revenue could grow from its current average of $115 million per year from Fox Sports to an average annual payout of more than $400 million beginning in 2019...

WME-IMG, which will serve as the UFC’s majority owner and operator, will have substantial insight into what the media rights are worth. The agency, through WME-IMG co-CEO Ari Emanuel’s longtime friendship with UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, has negotiated all of the UFC’s TV deals in the United States, first with Spike in 2005 and more recently with Fox in 2011.
- [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
USMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 PM #5
BWC BWC is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,698
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14
BWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 16,770.63
Bank: 1,239.20
Total Points: 18,009.83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff Pandas View Post
Idk about all that. I do think they will show boxing on Fight Pass eventually like they show other combat sports on Fight Pass, but there are too many issues with how the UFC operates & the Muhammad Ali act that would present problems for them so its not happening. They got enough problems with MMA & the Muhammad Ali act coming into MMA which could greatly alter how they do business if that gets passed.

I think likely they will be making some interesting moves with their new TV deal which is up next year. I think they could be exiting or altering their presence in the PPV market & going to HBO or going harder with Fox or another network to have monthly shows instead of just 4 per year. And I'm sure they got all kinds of other sh^t planned beyond that, but the TV deal being up next year is gonna be the thing that most impacts the UFC & their direction in the coming years.
The head of FOX Sports basically put UFC and PBC on the same level in his press release for the MayMac Fox coverage. I think FOX is looking to become the go-to for combat sports and maybe there's some opportunities for PBC/UFC synergies in the future, sort of like K1-Pride used to do back in the day. Maybe some joint events, whatever.

I don't think UFC will ever get into boxing, but they and PBC could cooperate at some level in the future..
BWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 PM #6
Dean_Razorback Dean_Razorback is online now
God of Thunder and R n' R
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 16,407
Quoted: 5285 Post(s)
Rep Power: 49
Dean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond reputeDean_Razorback has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 63,087.45
Bank: 1,520.37
Total Points: 64,607.82
Enjoy Man - mathed funny chavez jr pic thread - jas ole ole ole ole chino chino - punchr Good video about Maidana. Campana campana Chino Maidana. - punchr Thank you very much for finding that song. Una cerveza fria para ti. - punchr 
Happy Holidays! - MDPopescu Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Thanks for G Karma m8... Have a beer on me - Steve plunger Because cake :beerchug: - Mighty_Windir Dat Ward cat.  LOL - anthonydavid11 
Greens - Turd Best Ever Greens - Turd Best Ever Greens - Turd Best Ever Damn good post and I think it's true.  LOL - Tony Trick-Pony 
Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - sugarsmosley 
Default

didn't white sell the UFC for like 4 billion dollars? what happened with that?
Dean_Razorback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:46 PM #7
USMCer USMCer is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: California = Mecca of MMA
Posts: 1,110
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Rep Power: 6
USMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to allUSMCer is a name known to all
Points: 15,857.88
Bank: 1,121.55
Total Points: 16,979.43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
didn't white sell the UFC for like 4 billion dollars? what happened with that?
The commitment is there. That's what I'm saying.

Boxing just MIGHT be another area where they could look to expand into, since they have this 'machine' running like this in just the sport of MMA.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

Last edited by USMCer; 07-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.
USMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 PM #8
Eff Pandas Eff Pandas is offline
Ignore List Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Camel Toe Capital of the World, Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 43,043
Quoted: 21359 Post(s)
Rep Power: 131
Eff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond reputeEff Pandas has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,918.71
Bank: 1,016,853.73
Total Points: 1,019,772.44
No Message - Santa_ Burger Exchange - cheeseburger good poster - jas One of the best posters on the forum! - JK1700 You Dont Have Enough Gifts - JimRaynor 
Always keep it real - Nomadic great contest! - TBear One kf - jas One of bscenes best - jas sensible, reasonable poster. 5 star - jazluvr 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder you are one cool dude - Dean_Razorback 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWC View Post
The head of FOX Sports basically put UFC and PBC on the same level in his press release for the MayMac Fox coverage. I think FOX is looking to become the go-to for combat sports and maybe there's some opportunities for PBC/UFC synergies in the future, sort of like K1-Pride used to do back in the day. Maybe some joint events, whatever.

I don't think UFC will ever get into boxing, but they and PBC could cooperate at some level in the future..
How could the UFC & PBC cooperate in theory in the future exactly?
Eff Pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 PM #9
BWC BWC is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,698
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14
BWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 16,770.63
Bank: 1,239.20
Total Points: 18,009.83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCer View Post
TV distribution platforms/rights....
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.


What drove UFC’s $4 billion deal - WME-IMG anticipates quadrupling next media rights contract, leading to expected IPO in the near future

By Michael Smith & John Ourand, Staff Writers
Published July 18, 2016

Unlocking the value of WME-IMG’s $4 billion acquisition of the UFC will hinge largely on the next round of media rights negotiations, where the UFC projects revenue to grow by nearly four times.

Based on numbers the UFC supplied to potential buyers during its sale process, it says that media rights revenue could grow from its current average of $115 million per year from Fox Sports to an average annual payout of more than $400 million beginning in 2019...

WME-IMG, which will serve as the UFC’s majority owner and operator, will have substantial insight into what the media rights are worth. The agency, through WME-IMG co-CEO Ari Emanuel’s longtime friendship with UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, has negotiated all of the UFC’s TV deals in the United States, first with Spike in 2005 and more recently with Fox in 2011.
- [Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
That was before 2016, where they have been getting slaughtered all year long. Weak ratings, terrible PPV numbers. FOX might be looking to hedge their bets on the UFC at this point by making the PBC stronger in their portfolio and UFC may have to begrudgingly go along.

I'm not sure how long the UFC is for this world if things don't change. People go on and on here about the $500mm PBC has cost, UFC is on the hook for NINE TIMES that amount, almost entirely financed via debt. This is a company fighting for PBC-like ratings on Fox at the moment. Not good..
BWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:50 PM #10
BWC BWC is offline
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,698
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Rep Power: 14
BWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond reputeBWC has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 16,770.63
Bank: 1,239.20
Total Points: 18,009.83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff Pandas View Post
How could the UFC & PBC cooperate in theory in the future exactly?
Not sure exactly how it would work, I am not as familiar on the Ali act as I should be..
BWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxing, dana white, maymac, promotion, richard schaefer, wme-img

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.