Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting past comments from BJS trainer about asthma drugs...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
    Do you honestly believe he didnt know the benefits he was getting by taking this asthma medication.
    Who knows. Maybe he gots legit issues & had no clue this was an issue. Maybe he gots legit issues & searched out this product due to whats in it. Or maybe he isn't even got any issues & found this product for the banned substance in it. Who's to say with any degree of accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
      Was the nasal spray designated for asthma sufferers? This is the first time I've seen anything linking this substance to asthma treatment?
      Best I understand, it's a variation of ephedrine. Drug makers often look to create chemical alterations of banned substances so that they can legally bring them back to market, though they often become banned too, which is extremely common in the supplement/drug market.

Wiki;
      "Oxilofrine (also known as methylsynephrine, hydroxyephrine, oxyephrine, and 4-HMP) is a stimulant drug and is an amphetamine chemically related to ephedrine and to synephrine."

"Ephedrine is used for temporary relief of shortness of breath, chest tightness, and wheezing due to bronchial asthma."

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
        It's similar to the Ortiz situation, BJS signed a VADA contract with a list of banned substances, then took one them anyway and said 'medication, I forgot to declare it'. That should get him the same punishment IMO, though I expect the fight to go ahead.
        If this was a WBC title fight or in a more serious commissioned state (that was NY iirc for Wilder vs Ortiz) I think its likely the punishment would be greater.

Thing is this is the WBO & MA commission. The WBO is like the IBF iirc & isn't really onboard with any OST like the WBC & WBA are & I can't remember the last time I ever even heard of the MA boxing commission making a decision on much of anything like the NYSAC or NSAC do all the time.

But I mean I don't think the WBC did anything more than give Ortiz a fine & ended up getting the fight pushed back 4 months in the end so his punishment wasn't really fitting of the crime for a failed PED test if we are being honest & they are one of the "serious" ones in this PED stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BLASTER1 View Post
          Do you honestly believe he didnt know the benefits he was getting by taking this asthma medication.
          Nope, I'm betting no boxer can memorise the entire list of banned substances with their complex names. Unless it explicitly states on an inhaler "can enhance performance" they're innocent in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Best I understand, it's a variation of ephedrine. Drug makers often look to create chemical alterations of banned substances so that they can legally bring them back to market, though they often become banned too, which is extremely common in the supplement/drug market.

Wiki;
            "Oxilofrine (also known as methylsynephrine, hydroxyephrine, oxyephrine, and 4-HMP) is a stimulant drug and is an amphetamine chemically related to ephedrine and to synephrine."

"Ephedrine is used for temporary relief of shortness of breath, chest tightness, and wheezing due to bronchial asthma."
            Thanks for this.

Reason I asked is that. I'm asthmatic myself and was surprised to see an ephidrene based drug being linked to asthma treatment as I think that it's no longer generally used for that.

Part of that may be a movement to stop its misuse as a party drug, but there's also been different drugs developed. I got intal, becotide and of course ventolin which is salbutamol, the one which the British cycling team appear to be consuming suspicious quan****** of as bn posted above...

Comment

This is what it's all about. When fighters say they don't PED's what they really mean is that they don't take illegal or banned PED's. What happened with the British cycling team really highlighted this. Bradley Wiggins being legally given steriods for asthma before events (which he then won).

The boxing game has too much money involved for people not to game the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
                This is what it's all about. When fighters say they don't PED's what they really mean is that they don't take illegal or banned PED's. What happened with the British cycling team really highlighted this. Bradley Wiggins being legally given steriods for asthma before events (which he then won).

The boxing game has too much money involved for people not to game the system.
                I agree. What I really have a hard time with is the brazen attitude of BJS toward Canelo, ripping him up one side and down the other over cheating. Saying he should be banned for life and he'll never consider any of his wins valid. Meanwhile, this SOB is gaming the system just the same.

I don't even say that in defense of Canelo, simply as someone who dislikes hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  I agree. What I really have a hard time with is the brazen attitude of BJS toward Canelo, ripping him up one side and down the other over cheating. Saying he should be banned for life and he'll never consider any of his wins valid. Meanwhile, this SOB is gaming the system just the same.

I don't even say that in defense of Canelo, simply as someone who dislikes hypocrites.
                  I honestly think BJS thinks he's a clean fighter and doesn't know what he takes, or what his team give him. If it turns out he was using a nasal spray with this drug in it then fair enough, he should still get a 6 month ban and be stripped IMO. What troubles me more is the discrepancy between the testing agencies on what drugs can be used legally or out of competition. This drug is an obvious PED and if you are training for an event then - to me - that is in competition.

Comment

Working...
                  X