No Face-Off for Ward-Kovalev 2? Ward apparently a no-show

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Time View Post
    So who was it that no showed?

I saw the tweets by Main Events saying that Ward no showed.

And I saw another thread stating that a source said it was Kovalev that no showed?

So which is the truth? Was it Kovalev or Ward that didn't show up?
    It's pretty obvious who the no show was at this point.

Comment

That's highly unprofessional of Ward, you're scheduled to take part in something arranged by HBO then you don't miss it. Honestly he can be very unreasonable sometimes and needlessly so.

Comment

Originally posted by The Time View Post
        So any concrete information on which one of the two no showed?

They're both saying it was the other one's fault.
        If the Ward 'inside source' is to be believed Kovalev didn't do an interview on Saturday night, which lead Ward to bail on the filming of the face-off on Sunday Morning. Not sure if it's true about the Saturday night interview, but even if it is, that's surely not a legitimate or sensible reason for Ward to do a no-show on Sunday is it? Not in my world anyway.

Don't get it myself. Will see what transpires but it just looks like Dre shot himself in the foot here.

Comment

... Andre Ward has nothing to gain from these Kov "face offs"...
          ... He never talks trash, he's cool, he's very articulate...
          ... He's got his money and doesn't give a shit about other things...

... Right?

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
            That's highly unprofessional of Ward, you're scheduled to take part in something arranged by HBO then you don't miss it. Honestly he can be very unreasonable sometimes and needlessly so.
            ... I don't know, man...

... The guy is getting his money no matter what... So: Does he really have to eat Kovalev's trash talk each time around?...

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
              you dont know that, and I would suspect HBO disagrees with you, or they wouldnt waste their money doing Face Off, or 24/7, or 2 Days, or any other promo show........

As a matter of fact, why even promote at all? No need for posters, flyers, tv commercials, billboards, email blasts, or any other promotional items. Just announce it on boxingscene and thats that......
              realistically, terry, we do know that....its not going to help

if ward wasnt showing up to pressers and whatever then you might have a point about him not working well with the promotion....they are probably doing a one episode 24/7 in which hbo cameras will be following him..if he declined that too then you might have a point

you dont wards situation or schedule...maybe this "taping" did not fit in.....you dont know wards plans....he might be planning to hang it up after this fight no matter the result and said "Eff them" to hbo and kovalev

whatever his reason is....hes simply skipped out on a very tiny portion of this production....and we dont know his reason.....ward has a family with like 4 kids....maybe something else was more important than filming for a segment that lasts a few minutes and wont really matter

if ward starts skipping out on other facets of this production than id say you guys might have a point...and again....this segment is not going to sell extra pps...and i think we all know that deep down....

not to mention....YOU SAW WARD LIVE ON THE CANELO PPV RIGHT? ON AIR?!?!?!?!?!?!
              Last edited by Curt Henning; 05-08-2017, 04:30 AM.

Comment

That's ridiculous. Why do something like that. I guess it shows the effect that the guarantee has on Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
                  again

this fight....

so hbo has a faceoff....now...the guys that subscribe to hbo for boxing are already buying this fight.....exactly who is this faceoff going to to sway? maybe 100 guys watch it by accident and decide to buy this fight? maybe it hits youtube and another 100 see it and decide to buy it?

this faceoff isnt going to make or break this fight by any stretch....these faceoffs are nice for us diehards ...they provide a little extra something....we dont need any extra something for this fight...its already an easy sell to us

these faceoffs dont sell ppvs...sorry...you guys are under the impression that casuals matter...they dont matter to a fight like this...they add numbers to pac/floyd...or pac and floyd inidvidual fights....they dont matter to a fight like kovalev/ward
                  I'd have to respectfully disagree. These faceoffs are a big part of HBO's promo. They know die-hards will be tuning in, they want these promos to grab the attention of casuals. These promos are all over the internet within minutes of airing. Everyone gets to see them if they want to click a link and watch..facebook, youtube, twitter.

Even diehards who pay their HBO bill want to see them. It's part of it all.
                  Boxing fans tend to be dissapointed when they find out there is no faceoff show being done.

There's a bad taste in the air between Ward and Kovalev, HBO are hoping for a bitter excahnge, angry words in the face-off to try and sell it to casuals. Every buy counts.
                  Would casuals be turned onto a fight by a edgey faceoff..of course they will. Happens all the time.
                  Good fights with no buzz can go unoticed. Poor fights wich feature trailers off two guys shouting or hating on eachother can stand out. It's the nature of a casual sports fan. PPV IMO, hopes to reaches out to the casuals first and foremost. They need that, so need all the promo they can get. Boxers in the past have known that, that's why they ramp it up.

In the world of social media, if there's an 'even't going on, people want to show off that they are part of it, that they're tuning in. If promos can help turn this fight into an 'event' then it's better for HBO and the fighters.
                  But that will only come with promo work.

Do i think this fight will do massive numbers. No.
                  Do i think it will do better numbers (even slightly) with proper promo. Yes.
                  The first fight bombed really. This one needs a push.

Promo is essential to every product. I've never heard anyone say any different to be honest. They wouldn't do it if it didn't make any difference.

Personally i think Ward is playing mind games, and i can get that. But he's diva no doubt and it's why people
                  can tend to lose interest over him.
                  I can't buy a story about being to busy or schedule conflicts.
                  While i don't really care too much. I can see why HBO are said to be angry.

Comment

It's funny to see the same people who slobbered Floyd Mayweather's schlong for years over everything being a promotional moment and how important that was suddenly think an HBO promotion isn't a big deal affecting anything.

So to be clear, racist internet videos are important promotion, but HBO promos are irrelevant.

Comment

Andre coWard is surely a disgusting 100% egocentric human being.

These Face Offs are huge on Social Media, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube etc. I love to watch them and its much needed promotion for the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X