No announcement yet.

Cutting off the ring-underrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting off the ring-underrated?

Not too many people talk about this aspect of boxing, but i think its important. A big part of GGG's success is his ability to cut off the ring and catch his opponent and **** them up. Just an example, Pacquiao does it too.

In Ward-Kovalev, why didnt Kovalev cut off the ring at all? All this talk about Kovalev being smart, he didnt look smart when his power was neutralized and he didnt even try to cut off the ring to try to overpower Ward and land some shots. He was just following Ward getting tired jabbed. Can anybody answer that?

Instead of crying about Ward winning, why not question why Kovalev couldnt adjust to Wards adjustments? Does Kovalev expect to KO everybody? Guy had no urgency at all after round 2. Maybe the big scary russian thought he win with a KD and coasted through the fight, or maybe he just got solved. Either way, Ward won kids.

Pacquiao does not cutt off the ring, his a bouncing fighter that relies on explosiveness and head movement and especially foot work to do damage and avoiding fighters. You don't cut off the ring on fighters that are 4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier unless you want to die.

But Kovalev, GGG, and Roman Gonzales are the virtuso of that ability, and that counts as ring general ship on their part.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
      Not too many people talk about this aspect of boxing, but i think its important. A big part of GGG's success is his ability to cut off the ring and catch his opponent and **** them up. Just an example, Pacquiao does it too.

In Ward-Kovalev, why didnt Kovalev cut off the ring at all? All this talk about Kovalev being smart, he didnt look smart when his power was neutralized and he didnt even try to cut off the ring to try to overpower Ward and land some shots. He was just following Ward getting tired jabbed. Can anybody answer that?

Instead of crying about Ward winning, why not question why Kovalev couldnt adjust to Wards adjustments? Does Kovalev expect to KO everybody? Guy had no urgency at all after round 2. Maybe the big scary russian thought he win with a KD and coasted through the fight, or maybe he just got solved. Either way, Ward won kids.
      Kovalev actually excels at cutting the ring off, but he chose to box from the outside more than stalk and hunt and he drifted away from it.

Similar to how ODLH is a master boxer who had one of the most educated jabs in the sport abandoned it against Floyd, except Kovalev did this more intentionally.

Make no mistake, Kovalev will cut him off, and chop him down in the rematch.

Comment

Of course it is an underrated skill.
        Golovkin clearly is the best right now, but Rigondeaux is quite good as well as Lomachenko and Lucas Matthyse was underrated when it comes to cutting of the ring.

Comment

Only if it's relevant to your style. Kovalev rarely hammers guys in the corner unless he has them hurt. He prefers to step back and reset. Reason being, he likes to use his tremendous length which keeps his safe from counters. Watch the way he extends himself when attacking and if a guy stops against the ropes, he often hesitates, then resets in the center.
          It works for him.

Golovkin doesn't attack like Kovelev at all. He hunts, then hammers in close. Kov prefers space. No reason they should be compared.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Only if it's relevant to your style. Kovalev rarely hammers guys in the corner unless he has them hurt. He prefers to step back and reset. Reason being, he likes to use his tremendous length which keeps his safe from counters. Watch the way he extends himself when attacking and if a guy stops against the ropes, he often hesitates, then resets in the center.
            It works for him.

Golovkin doesn't attack like Kovelev at all. He hunts, then hammers in close. Kov prefers space. No reason they should be compared.
            Not comparing, i was using GGG as an example since he cuts off the ring.

What i mean is maybe Kovalev should have made that adjustment against Ward. It might work against other guys but Ward was different, i just wonder if it would have made a difference

Comment

Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
              What i mean is maybe Kovalev should have made that adjustment against Ward. It might work against other guys but Ward was different, i just wonder if it would have made a difference
              As someone who is admittedly also a Kovelev fan, I wonder that myself. I say "it works for him" to keep space and reset. But, he lost a close fight so there's the issue of "do I change or do I really feel that what I did is good enough?"
              I can see why he wants space, especially against a guy who was slippery and counters to the body. But, if he were able to hurt Andre against the ropes, his chances of really wearing him down or finishing him becomes much greater because he has him pinned.

Kovalev's effective reach was much better than Andre's so he may want to stick with that. Hard to speculate but I'll agree that it is an interesting subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                As someone who is admittedly also a Kovelev fan, I wonder that myself. I say "it works for him" to keep space and reset. But, he lost a close fight so there's the issue of "do I change or do I really feel that what I did is good enough?"
                I can see why he wants space, especially against a guy who was slippery and counters to the body. But, if he were able to hurt Andre against the ropes, his chances of really wearing him down or finishing him becomes much greater because he has him pinned.

Kovalev's effective reach was much better than Andre's so he may want to stick with that. Hard to speculate but I'll agree that it is an interesting subject.
                I agree. Should be something he talk about with his trainers because it could be a difference in a rematch

Comment

Cutting off the ring =/= swarming overmatched opposition

Comment

Golovkin actually has a body attack too.

Kovalev has KD's with body shots but they are all straight shots from the outside. straight jab or straight right.

Golovkin can get in close with his head on the opponent's chest and dig to the body with short hooks. Kov for whatever reason doesn't have this ability. So many times I saw the opportunity for him to dig to the body but he let Ward back out of the ropes.

Comment

Working...
                    X