Spence can be outboxed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Spence can be outboxed

But he's going to be relentless and keep coming for all 12 rounds.

Right now I don't see many fighters out there who will have both the skills AND the toughness to weather the storm until the end to win on points.
    ... yes, but he gave Floyd dat black eye, doe!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
      i'd hold off on the "spence can be outboxed" claims for a bit

first he had a 9 month layoff...was fighting in the UK in a soccer venue with rabid UK fans....was fighting a top level guy....a guy that was a bit awkward ......

remember...spence gave himself about a b- grade.......i think spence can box....but in a case like this he needed that other stuff to bail him out.....brook isnt an easy guy to figure out..he does some unorthodox stuff in there ....but it didnt give spence all that much trouble
      Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      I think ring rust was a factor in this fight. He rated himself a B after the fight and said the time off was a factor

True, he did notice a certain lack of sharpness in himself and the 9-month layoff is a legit excuse.

I'm a big believer in a fighter needing to stay active in order to be functioning at peak capacity.

Comment

But he's going to be relentless and keep coming for all 12 rounds.

Right now I don't see many fighters out there who will have both the skills AND the toughness to weather the storm until the end to win on points.
        There isn't a fighter in history that can't be out boxed.

Comment

Spence has a lot of work to do. Needs more head movement. Needs to develop a good straight LEAD left hand. As a southpaw, it's hard to work the jab against competent fighters as Brook showed. The lead left was open but it took him a long time before he felt comfortable throwing it. His offensive in general lacks diversity. At the moment, he probably beats everyone at 147. However, one day he will get older or have to move up. Spence's conditioning and toughness is first class, but you can't Debo everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpkinsPlus5 View Post
            Spence has a lot of work to do. Needs more head movement. Needs to develop a good straight LEAD left hand. As a southpaw, it's hard to work the jab against competent fighters as Brook showed. The lead left was open but it took him a long time before he felt comfortable throwing it. His offensive in general lacks diversity. At the moment, he probably beats everyone at 147. However, one day he will get older or have to move up. Spence's conditioning and toughness is first class, but you can't Debo everyone.

Everybody is an expert.

Even sofa-surfing couch jockeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
              Not sure Spence would fight every opponent the same way. He fought Brook the way he needed to.

This right here ^^^^^^ should close this thread. You don't give Mayweather, Charlo & Broner all they can handle in the gym if you aren't at the very least special.

Spence took away Brook left hook but Brook kept timing his jab & hitting him with the occasional uppercut so after i think the 6th round when Spence had that tripping incident, he adjusted and change nearly his entire game plan.

Thurman hasn't knocked out anybody since he's been fighting elite competition.

When you are fighting at the elite level, anybody can have problem. It what you do in these scenarios that shows your grit. Remember Judah outspeeding Mayweather for the first few rounds before he made the adjustment. At the elite level, every fighter has tough times i.e Alvarez/Lara, Golovkin/Jacobs, Ward/Kovalev

We've never seen Crawford in any tough moments so we don't know what he does when he finally does..I think Garcia & Khan beats him. Spence stops Thurman via body attack....he hate those (everybody hate it but Thurman reacts badly to them). Spence knows how to cut off the ring so Thurman lateral movement isn't some super game plan.

Thurman got a MD with Porter & SD with Garcia...Yes, I assure you, Spence is quite safe from this man right here.
              Last edited by Queen_Leia; 05-28-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Thurman can outbox Spence, but Keith doesn't like it to the body so I could see him wilting down the stretch.

Crawford might be the only guy who has the right combination to beat Errol outright. But as you say we have to see how he looks at 147 first.
                I agree completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post

Everybody is an expert.

Even sofa-surfing couch jockeys.
                  I get it, you like Spence. No problem with that. I like Spence to. The difference between you and me is that I won't let my bias towards him distract from the fact that there are tools that can be sharpened. Imagine we both knew Spence personally. My critiquing of him would NEVER be the reason he gets beat. However, constantly sucking him off to the point where he doesn't take the sport as serious as he should could result in a loss. Look at Adrien Broner...

I never said I was an expert. However, I have eyes and I'm entitled to my opinion like everyone else. If you disagree that's fine, but writing me off as some know-it-all couch potato for having an opinion makes you seem like a fanboy.

Comment

I'm pretty confident Crawford would beat him.

Thurman will look great early, but he has such a bad habit of giving away rounds late and Spence's style appears to be his worst case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by DumpkinsPlus5 View Post
                      I get it, you like Spence. No problem with that. I like Spence to. The difference between you and me is that I won't let my bias towards him distract from the fact that there are tools that can be sharpened. Imagine we both knew Spence personally. My critiquing of him would NEVER be the reason he gets beat. However, constantly sucking him off to the point where he doesn't take the sport as serious as he should could result in a loss. Look at Adrien Broner...

I never said I was an expert. However, I have eyes and I'm entitled to my opinion like everyone else. If you disagree that's fine, but writing me off as some know-it-all couch potato for having an opinion makes you seem like a fanboy.
                      Once again

There isn't a boxing in history that can't be outboxed.

Comment

Working...
                      X