Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Barker really walk in Carl's footsteps?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Barker really walk in Carl's footsteps?

Interested to here your thoughts on Darren Barker's first defence; a seriously tough away assignment against Sturm in Stuttgart which comes straight off the back of having to win the belt against Geale in America.

Barker seems to be following the same hard, high-risk course set by Carl Froch. Go where the best money is, be prepared to meet a guy in his own backyard, back your talent to get the result and if you win you know that you can push-on to an even bigger and more profitable fight.

The big question for me is whether Darren can pull off this kind of world championship reign? He's not the same kind of ultimate warrior as Froch and the Sturm fight could be viewed as a chance for Darren to cash-out after a hard career. Alternatively, perhaps we're looking at another world champion who is prepared to take a few big risks and deserves our real respect.

Froch is a very, very good fighter, a current p4p top 10, one of the best super middles ever...Barker is not any of those things but he is a tough guy with good skills and a will to win. I'm not sure how many hard back-to-back fights he can take but we'll find out soon enough.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how becoming champion affects him. I'm hoping it will be a positive!
      He deserves every penny he can get, his attitude outside of the ring is far greater than froch's in my opinion. Hopefully Hearn manages him well. Hopefully Murray can get a belt and generate more revenue for that fight!

Comment

Good thoughts guys and thanks.

For the record I think Barker's breakthrough moment was the Martinez fight when he pushed a superb fighter right to the limit and realised that he not only could just compete with the best but had the ability to beat them. it might have been a loss but that was a very, very important fight for Darren.

If he can get past Sturm then I do see Darren kicking-on and being prepared to fight the other champions as well. Hearn is also a different kettle-of-fish to Warren as well; once he gets a guy to the the top he's prepared to make the big fights and wants his champions to meet the best.

Would love to see Barker beat Sturm, defend against Murray and then try his luck against Quillin or go for Martinez before he retires.

Comment

I don't see Darren winning enough rounds clear enough against Sturm in Germany. He would have to school him to get the decision. I don't think he's good enough to do that.

Comment

Barker simply doesn't have the power in his punches to win fights away from home. Sturm is a shell of himself but he will still pull out a controversial decision. Barker is clearly cashing out.

Comment

I think cashing out is a little bit harsh. Calculated risk is closer, especially with a possible rematch clause giving two good pay days.

I would think they are thinking good win in Germany come back maybe fight Murray.
              I think he might loose that fight but it could be good enough for a rematch.
              Given Murray has visa issues stateside.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                Froch is a very, very good fighter, a current p4p top 10, one of the best super middles ever...Barker is not any of those things but he is a tough guy with good skills and a will to win. I'm not sure how many hard back-to-back fights he can take but we'll find out soon enough.
                i agree. there are quite a few MWs who can beat barker imo, so i dont think he can hold onto that bet very long unless they choose his opposition carefully. sturm in germany is a very tough fight, he might not even get past that.

Comment

Working...
                X