Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain to me what the hell happened in the Green v Briggs fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain to me what the hell happened in the Green v Briggs fight?

WTF

Yeah.............

Comment

When was this?

Comment

Originally posted by -Genesis- View Post
        When was this?
        a year ago........

Comment

It was most likely a fixed fight.

Pitty Briggs brought himself down to that,he was a warrior.

Comment

shameful stuff

Comment

it was ether the longest delayed reaction to a body shot I have ever seen or the worst dive I have ever seen

Comment

A retired Supreme Court judge will work with police to investigate last Wednesday's comical bout between Danny Green and Paul Briggs at Challenge Stadium amid bookmaker concerns the fight was fixed.

The WA boxer floored the heavy-set Queenslander, 34, with a light punch that grazed the top of his head, with the bout over 29 seconds into the first round after Briggs stayed down for the count.

Match-fixing fears linger over the IBO Cruiserweight title fight despite the Green Machine camp producing a slow-motion video of the punch at a tense press conference the following day, which it said proved contact was made and the fight legitimate, after Green said Briggs had "dogged it" the night before.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/r...#ixzz1Ypd9x2SD

Comment

IIRC he had some crazy brain damage from previous fights and the commission approved him to fight (didnt check him at all), so on the first punch of the night it screwed him or his head was already messed up. Its criminal they didnt test him, I dont think he took a dive, he just psycho now from all the beatings he took.

Comment

Medved touched on it but there was a little more to the story.. it was a while ago and i don't recall all the details but here goes. The fight was originally supposed to be in Sydney (i think) but the officials there wouldn't clear him to fight on medical grounds. Green made a big stink about it saying there should be an investigation etc (as if the officials were in the wrong... kind of funny now) but a few months before the fight was moved to Perth i think in western australia where they allowed the fight to happen.

Despite this, there wasn't much talk of Briggs condition before the fight, but it all came out after that he had serious problems after his career to this point, having a lot of balance, memory and coordination problems - such as showing up at the wrong gym to train for the fight several times. I don't know if it's entirely true but I heard a rumour that before the fight he was actually having trouble walking to the ring and needed help to get in... again, I'd take that with a grain of salt though.

In hindsight it's obvious that Briggs was in no condition whatsoever to get in the ring that night, or ever again, and the general consensus was that he did all he could to get there in order to get one last payday... in a time where there's little credibility to be found, it doesn't look good for the sport but given how much his boxing career has taken out of him I have a hard time begrudging him getting paid one last time.

As a footnote, there was a slew of last minute bets on Green by first round KO, many of them linked to a lebanese gang here called the sword boys or something (yeah we have the worst gang names) and there was an inquiry into fixing, I didn't hear what if anything came of it and it's probable that people just found out about Briggs health beforehand and put money down accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                    X