No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO Mic Crew Hits Stride Ahead of Weekend PPV Blockbuster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    i had media credentials for several years and i forget more each year about boxing than most of these guys on nsb will ever know except deanrw of course.

that said i'd looklike a complete idiot calling fights on TV. so would you, and so would everybody you just listed except deanrw. max kellerman and jim lampley have been ringside for thousands of boxing matches. they're completely immersed in the sport. it is their job. yes, they're biased and are salesmen, but to say that some day sailor on nsb could do a better job is just laughable.

go ahead and get an interview with them if you think you can do better. HBO would 100% take your call if you had the knowledge and connections required to get the opportunity to interview them, and impressed on them enough your ability to do the job in the time you ahd. 100% they'd take the call.

go ahead and try. hell, go and try and cover one fight and write a story before card is even over. it is not nearly as easy as you think if you are willing to pull 10 names out of a hat in f#cking nsb and say they could do better than kellerman or lampley.
    Fixed it. You are lucky I am in a good mood or I'd be taking you to the thunderdome LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Kagami Taiga
      Chrismart
      Redd Foxx
      Pigeons
      Koba-Grozny
      bigjavi973
      BrometheusBob.
      ShoulderRoll
      FrankieClutch
      BigZ44
      deanrw
      MDPopescu
      Eff Pandas
      -Kev-
      siablo14
      [MENTION]bigdramashow[/MENTION]
      FrankieClutch
      The Big Dunn
      OnePunch

Some more I can't remember their names but if i see their AVI's I'll know. Hell, I think you would do better than them. Just because I don't agree with a person doesn't mean they aren't knowledgble about the sport. We have different opinions but they know what they're talking about and stick to what they believe, unlike Max who flip flops depending on popular opinion.
      It's an honor to be mentioned with most of those guys (except bigdramashow.)

All it takes to be better than the HBO shills these days is to truly love the sport and to have a sense of objectivity and fairness. Anyone who meets those requirements would be able to call a better fight than Lampley.

Comment

Originally posted by MisanthropicNY View Post
        Max Kellerman is terrible. Typical Jew just handed a job who is not really experienced or qualified for it. People keep pretending he's qualified, so they aren't called the most terrifying of words - anti-semitic. He's horrible. We all know it.

i an't stand max kellerman's commentary at times, but the bold is tinfoil hat wearing nonsense.

didnt max start out commentating for boxing in his teens in ny???
        so he started rather young.....

although he can be a bit biased i think thats more on who's signing his checks maybe

Comment

Kagami Taiga
          Chrismart
          Redd Foxx
          Pigeons
          Koba-Grozny
          bigjavi973
          BrometheusBob.
          ShoulderRoll
          FrankieClutch
          BigZ44
          deanrw
          MDPopescu
          Eff Pandas
          -Kev-
          siablo14
          [MENTION]bigdramashow[/MENTION]
          FrankieClutch
          The Big Dunn
          OnePunch

Some more I can't remember their names but if i see their AVI's I'll know. Hell, I think you would do better than them. Just because I don't agree with a person doesn't mean they aren't knowledgble about the sport. We have different opinions but they know what they're talking about and stick to what they believe, unlike Max who flip flops depending on popular opinion.
          i had media credentials for several years and i forget more each year about boxing than most of these guys on nsb will ever know.

that said i'd looklike a complete idiot calling fights on TV. so would you, and so would everybody you just listed. max kellerman and jim lampley have been ringside for thousands of boxing matches. they're completely immersed in the sport. it is their job. yes, they're biased and are salesmen, but to say that some day sailor on nsb could do a better job is just laughable.

go ahead and get an interview with them if you think you can do better. HBO would 100% take your call if you had the knowledge and connections required to get the opportunity to interview them, and impressed on them enough your ability to do the job in the time you ahd. 100% they'd take the call.

go ahead and try. hell, go and try and cover one fight and write a story before card is even over. it is not nearly as easy as you think if you are willing to pull 10 names out of a hat in f#cking nsb and say they could do better than kellerman or lampley.
          I appreciate that Cobra!

And to New England's point, I agree. It would take some time before anyone would adjust to the job. That said, in terms of boxing knowledge (not history, I'm young haha) I feel like I could break down a fight with the best of them.

Shameless plug: I have a podcast with a buddy called Outside The Squared Circle on Youtube. Check it out if you guys get a chance!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
            I appreciate that Cobra!

And to New England's point, I agree. It would take some time before anyone would adjust to the job. That said, in terms of boxing knowledge (not history, I'm young haha) I feel like I could break down a fight with the best of them.

Shameless plug: I have a podcast with a buddy called Outside The Squared Circle on Youtube. Check it out if you guys get a chance!
            I will check it out

Comment

I can name at least 5 more qualified posters on NSB. Max is horrible at his job. He sways whatever popular opinion is. He kisses the ass of whatever fighter is commentating with him. His post fight interviews are terrible. He freezes up at any sign of confrontation instead of capitalizing on it. This is a sport where people punch each other in the face. He gets scared when fighters confront each other in the ring.
              remember back when Max had some kind of twisted man-crush on Bones Adams?

Comment

i had media credentials for several years and i forget more each year about boxing than most of these guys on nsb will ever know.

that said i'd looklike a complete idiot calling fights on TV. so would you, and so would everybody you just listed. max kellerman and jim lampley have been ringside for thousands of boxing matches. they're completely immersed in the sport. it is their job. yes, they're biased and are salesmen, but to say that some day sailor on nsb could do a better job is just laughable.

In my opinion, you give them way too much credit.

These days, there are many competitive videogame broadcasts, commentated by amateur casters, some of whom do a very good job.

The thing about media is not that it requires a special talent (there are talented people in media), but the fortune of being in the right place at the right time/knowing the right people/etc. It isn't like this is any kind of a unique a new idea.

Also, you had media credentials? I use to have a USA Boxing License. Neither really mean much, except for anecdotal purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
                  In my opinion, you give them way too much credit.

These days, there are many competitive videogame broadcasts, commentated by amateur casters, some of whom do a very good job.

The thing about media is not that it requires a special talent (there are talented people in media), but the fortune of being in the right place at the right time/knowing the right people/etc. It isn't like this is any kind of a unique a new idea.

Also, you had media credentials? I use to have a USA Boxing License. Neither really mean much, except for anecdotal purposes.

been in real conversations with contemporary world champions, contenders, prospects, amateurs, dude's you've never heard of, women, a guy who killed a man in the ring, and their promotors and managers. champion level boxers from the past, too. and their managers. sat ringside for fights on hbo, showtime, local TV, tiny little cards in front of a few hundred people. didn't pay for a seat. seen them train. even had lunch with them and their families. knew a lot of the local media people and photographers. would have plenty of people to talk to and who were familiar when i went to most boxing cards. wrote articles and took pictures that fighters and their management and publicists thanked me for sincerely.

you done any of that? don't mean much doe.

sour grapes doe.

Comment

been in real conversations with contemporary world champions, contenders, prospects, amateurs, dude's you've never heard of, women, a guy who killed a man in the ring, and their promotors and managers. champion level boxers from the past, too. and their managers. sat ringside for fights on hbo, showtime, local TV, tiny little cards in front of a few hundred people. didn't pay for a seat. seen them train. even had lunch with them and their families. knew a lot of the local media people and photographers. would have plenty of people to talk to and who were familiar when i went to most boxing cards. wrote articles and took pictures that fighters and their management and publicists thanked me for sincerely.

you done any of that? don't mean much doe.

sour grapes doe.
                    You sort of misinterpreted my post there.

I wasn't coming at you brah, I was talking about broadcasting talent.

I was pointing out,

A.), in the age of the internet we have many examples of good broadcasters from video game casts (and podcasts, YouTube, etc.), which should disposes of the notion that abundant talent is not likely out there; and it's likely Max Kellerman and Jim Lampley are not some phenoms who couldn't be replaced (more likely, they are merely entrenched in their posts), and,

B.), I was suggesting that you might not have the personal broadcasting experience to actually act as a special authority here; but rather that everyone in the thread's opinion is likely reasonably of equal weight.

If Steve Buncey was here to chime in, his opinion would be on a different level; like how the guys you referenced have venerable opinions on boxing, to be sure.

Comment

As fact would have it, I was actually watching the ongoing epic Age of Empires II Best-of-21 series between DauT and TheViper, when I reflected on how good a job ZeroEmpires does on casting these games.

Yes indeed, what a terrific waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X