Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Jim Lampely have against Tim Witherspoon?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Jim Lampely have against Tim Witherspoon?

Just wondering... I was watching Bowe-Holyfield 2 recently and whenever Lampely mentioned two-time or three time heavyweight titlists he always disrespects Witherspoon doing it in the '80's.

But yet, he consistently praised Ali, Patterson and Holyfield for the same feats. I know that wasn't the only time he dissed the 'Spoon. I just don't think its right to give praise to 3 and downplay the 4th.

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    Just wondering... I was watching Bowe-Holyfield 2 recently and whenever Lampely mentioned two-time or three time heavyweight titlists he always disrespects Witherspoon doing it in the '80's.

But yet, he consistently praised Ali, Patterson and Holyfield for the same feats. I know that wasn't the only time he dissed the 'Spoon. I just don't think its right to give praise to 3 and downplay the 4th.
    That seemed to be Lampley's way of degrading the multiple alphabet titles and their lack of true championship status in the 80s. I don't recall him making any snide remarks about Witherspoon on a personal level. He just acknowledged the awkwardness of naming Witherspoon alongside those others who lost and regained the world title. Lampley has always been vocal about his dislike of paper belts.

Comment

Working...
    X