No announcement yet.

Better on Heavy Bag? Wilder vs Joshua

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i also want to add this:

do not judge technique on the heavy bag, and don't go to the heavybag for your hard rounds if you want to work on technique! heavy bags are there to get you in shape. watch a guy shadowbox or on my favorite, the double end bag, if you want to see how well he moves his feet, hands and upper body.

Comment

I don't think i've seen a pro boxer look as bad as Wilder on the bag.

Comment

Wilder telegraphs his punches when in with a live boxer. Also, doesn't have a very good defense.

I think if Aj has the right set of mind, Wilder will be done in less than 5 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          i also want to add this:

do not judge technique on the heavy bag, and don't go to the heavybag for your hard rounds if you want to work on technique! heavy bags are there to get you in shape. watch a guy shadowbox or on my favorite, the double end bag, if you want to see how well he moves his feet, hands and upper body.
          I'd agree with this. Ive seen guys in the gym look great on heavybag, great on pads, and then see their technique fall apart in the ring. Its so much more difficult to produce good technique when you are trying to anticipate opponents movement, evade punches coming back at you etc.

One thing you notice in these vids, which ive seen play out in fights as well, is Wilder non punching hand. All over the place, elbows flared out, glove dropped the lot. I think if they fought Joshua would be well served going back to the aggressive style he used to show, try to bully the fight into mid range. His hooks and uppercuts on the inside are much tighter and faster than Wilder, nd he stays more defensively responsible. On the outside Wilder seems better schooled, he sets up his right better, he has longer reach, quicker feet. Like Wlad did, Wilder can have success pulling on Joshuas guard and feinting him out of position.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            here's the thing

joshua boxes better. he's more technical, he's got a lot more poise when he's got a guy hurt, he's jsut a better schooled boxer.

but when wilder moves around like that he doesn't get the lactic acid buildup that you get when you're built like joshya. wilder's been as low as 215 lbs. so after joshua, an athletic fighter who does have very good speed for his size, moves around like that [which he can because he's an athlete,] it stiffens his muscles and tires him out. you can see it in his punches. hell, eddie hearn even talks about it. and when that happens you lose snap in your punchyes, and your straight shot that usually has good snap will start to get pushed. because he's in shape he'll get a second wind, but more htna wilder he will need a second wind!

every time i see joshua in the gym i think, "you know, this dude would honestly be a better fighter with about 5-10 lbs less muscle." in the ring that hasn't relaly mattered yet, guys are usually hurt / weathered, outboxed / have given up, or just intimidated, when joshua takes a break.

another strange aspect of this matchup:
            the guy with less power, joshua, and fewer knockouts, is the much, much better finisher. bigger guy doesn't hit as hard, just a lot of unique stuff about the matchup that make it interesting. and eddie is going to hide his guy behind dazn
            this guy honestly still believes Eddie is hiding from Wilder despite making numerous attempts and offers.

You have to be that special kind of dumb to keep believing that.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar9992 View Post
              Better on Heavy Bag? Wilder or Joshua

Wilder

AJ
              Rumour has it that the sequence Wilder did at 0:48 caused the hole in the bag to appear.

Comment

Heavybags are for power and nothing else. I don't care what your trainer, friend who boxes, uncle, Freddie Roach, poppa, Al Bernstein, Joe Rogan or any other authority you lean on has told you. They are wrong. Heavybags have existed since before Olympia, and a heavybag is the closest analog to the setup I would use as a kinesiologist to measure energy output of a punch.

So, whether you look to history or science it makes no difference the bag has one purpose. Everything else you do at or with the bag is bull****. What does the bag resist a combination with? Nothing? Ok, how about power, what does the bag resist power with? Bit of weight to equalize that power yeah? It has one purpose.

Joshua is a great bul**** artist. Wilder, not so much. Neither one of them are actually doing real work on the bag. They're playing, and both are cute kids.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                  this guy honestly still believes Eddie is hiding from Wilder despite making numerous attempts and offers.

You have to be that special kind of dumb to keep believing that.
                  What did you expect, Wildher fangirls are ******ed and that guy is a nuthugger.

Comment

Tyson Fury is the best.

Comment

The main thing here is Joshua can't come up every round unloading combinations like that, while Wilder can move like that and land awkward punches all night long.

It'll be interesting to see AJs tactics when they fight, I believe he needs to find a way to take the fight to without getting caught or gassing, but he's a skilled fighter, and he might just be able to pull it off.

I still give a slight edge to Wilder at the moment. I also think a sharp Fury gives both Wilder and Joshua fits.

Comment

Working...
                      X