No announcement yet.

The king of middleweight division!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    He's not KO'ing Robinson (Assuming he wins) he's beating him in a very close decision.
    - Far more reasonable, I just don't think much of Sugar bashing. Who has the right ????? it's totally acceptable for the likes of a Basilio or a Zale to criticize such a great fighter. I STILL WANNA HEAR his incredibly knowledgeable and intelligent analysis of Marv's total HUMILIATION of Sugar RR.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      That's great, man !!!, he's a legend down here. I'd love to hear a little more about your thoughts on Sands from you, a British perspective would be interesting. I know the Americans thought he was very good. How hard a puncher was he ? and where would you rate him as far as Australian fighters that you have seen, a lot of blokes here said he'd beat any of the modern Australians. Sands did a Darcy, won the MW and HW Aust Titles, I know he was British Empire Champ, But I don't know at what weight, or did he win two ?---I'm envious !!!
      I'm trying to rack my brains with Sands as I was only a lad when I saw him. I certainly saw him lose against Pompey when he fought superbly and got unlucky. Pompey was crude but tough fellow and just caught Sands in a panic bit like Barklay v Hearns 1st fight if you know what I mean?. I'm sure I saw him before that but it would have been at Harringay and I know I didn't see him against Dick Turpin but the other fights he had there are just not ringing a bell. I'll probably have a programme somewhere so i'll try and dig it out.
      He was very popular over here and I have it in my mind he was to fight Randolph Turpin but Turpin managed to snare the SRR fight. You have to bear in mind moving over here from a foreign country back then was a big deal, it took Dick Tiger quite a while to settle. Don't think SRR ducked him I just think that Sands was unlucky with timing. SRR lost to Turpin and then had to win title back couple of defences then challenged Maxim. Sands and Robinson would have been a natural during SRR's comeback but unfortunately Sands was no longer with us.
      Tremendous fighter who us Brits were happy to adopt

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        I'm trying to rack my brains with Sands as I was only a lad when I saw him. I certainly saw him lose against Pompey when he fought superbly and got unlucky. Pompey was crude but tough fellow and just caught Sands in a panic bit like Barklay v Hearns 1st fight if you know what I mean?. I'm sure I saw him before that but it would have been at Harringay and I know I didn't see him against Dick Turpin but the other fights he had there are just not ringing a bell. I'll probably have a programme somewhere so i'll try and dig it out.
        He was very popular over here and I have it in my mind he was to fight Randolph Turpin but Turpin managed to snare the SRR fight. You have to bear in mind moving over here from a foreign country back then was a big deal, it took Dick Tiger quite a while to settle. Don't think SRR ducked him I just think that Sands was unlucky with timing. SRR lost to Turpin and then had to win title back couple of defences then challenged Maxim. Sands and Robinson would have been a natural during SRR's comeback but unfortunately Sands was no longer with us.
        Tremendous fighter who us Brits were happy to adopt
        Thanks for that, I hope you can find those things. I believe that too, I think it is a story that has grown bigger with time however I am led to understand that Robinson had admitted that Sand's was very dangerous, and he did say that he thought Sand's was the number 1 challenger and that he'd have to fight him eventually, alas,.............................we know the rest. I had no idea he lived in England for any length of time, but of course planes weren't as popular and ship travel was still more common. I rate Sands just under Darcy as the greatest Australian boxer but I don't know if he's 2, 3 or 4 but thereabouts, Darcy is of course without peer in Australian boxing.,.................. I wonder if you saw Bradman, or at least Lindwall and Keith Miller ?????, that too would be awesome. Love me cricket too.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
          I had no idea he lived in England for any length of time, but of course planes weren't as popular and ship travel was still more common.
          I maybe wrong but he did seem to be based here for a part of his career or was certainly fighting here frequently and it would make sense as the world was bigger in those days if you know what I mean.
          Where does Fenech figure in your ratings another fine fighter IMO?

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            I maybe wrong but he did seem to be based here for a part of his career or was certainly fighting here frequently and it would make sense as the world was bigger in those days if you know what I mean.
            Where does Fenech figure in your ratings another fine fighter IMO?
            It makes sense that Sand's would base himself in England, As for Jeff Fenech, I have him as top 5 in Australian boxing for sure. I've seen Fenech around the traps a few times, he's not a big guy but he radiates toughness. He was the first fighter I know of that became a World champ that was my age. On the all-time list of the last century it's hard to say, but he is certainly behind Les Darcy. a common opinion down this here way,....

Comment

Working...
            X