Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people like Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duran's great, there's really no sense in arguing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Winky
      No dude im actually being serious with this one...I mean he lost to the main guys he fought.I know he was a beast at lightweight but seriously he got destroyed by Hearns and even lost to Ray Leonard by embarrasment.
      He also beat Leonard too.He was a natural lightweight with devastating power, imagine if Kostya Tszyu moved up to 160 how do you think he would do?

Comment

exactly....imagine winky wright moving up to cruiserweight...then imagine him beating o'neil bell to capture the title there. okay well that's more or less what duran did when he beat iran barkley for the recognized title.

Comment

Roberto Duran was a marquis fighter of the last century. He was also a polarizing figure in and out of the ring. Many of his tactics in and out of the ring made him someone to be revered or reviled.

His fighting style wasn't particularly pleasing to watch. No Sugar Ray or Ali like moves in there, his style definitely followed suit to the latino style. In many respects, you could compare him to Julio Caesar Chavez. A matador with incredible power, skill, endurance and the ever intangible will to win. Duran was much nastier than Chavez, able to demoralize an opponent before he ever climbed into the ring.

What made Duran great was his huge fighting heart. His ability to fight and beat some of boxing's elite fighters, even when he was vastly outsized not only reflected his skill but his will to win.

Iran Barkley was a beastly middleweight, yet Duran stretched him in the opine position. That was truly a great fight.

Although he lost the fight, I always felt that he had beaten vinnie Pazienza in the twilight of his career.

The man loved to fight. If he were a dog, he would be a pit bull.

Comment

Duran was a brilliant fighter. I think that is the best word to describe him. I would probably pick him over any lightweight in history. He was such a complete fighter in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by hellfire508
              Duran was a brilliant fighter. I think that is the best word to describe him. I would probably pick him over any lightweight in history. He was such a complete fighter in his prime.
              Please tell me this thread is some kind of stupid joke? Roberto Duran in terms of greatness has to be ranked over Sugar Ray leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler etc... He was beaten by these men because he was a natural lightweight and dominated this division for a decade. Watch Duran vs Leonard I, Duran was amazing. He wasn't just the rough and tumble slugger he is percieved to be by the younger generations, he could really box... Duran was very skilled and old school. We can't discredit him for getting knocked out by Hearns, Hearns was a freak at 6'1 - 140 pounds with devestating punching power. Even Duran with his supurb defense could not overcome such an obstacle.

Comment

You know why people love Duran or De La Hoya in this country?Because the people herer are afraid to say anything about non american people period.You see how mexicans run across the border and take our jobs right and nobody says a thing.Just run aross the border and pop out a child and the child is a so called citizen and has all the rights of people who were here for 100's of years.It is the same reason why De La Hoya can get title shots and is a millionare and a white fighter like Bronco Mckart is a unknown even though he is alot more skilled than De La Hoya.Whitaker beat De La Hoya but gets robbed because De La Hoya is mexican.
                To be honest virtually all hispanic and latino fighters suck.They are great at beating their own race but when ever they fight a good white or black fighter they lose.But the way this country is you will always hear more about them than you will our own white and black fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
                  You know why people love Duran or De La Hoya in this country?Because the people herer are afraid to say anything about non american people period.You see how mexicans run across the border and take our jobs right and nobody says a thing.Just run aross the border and pop out a child and the child is a so called citizen and has all the rights of people who were here for 100's of years.It is the same reason why De La Hoya can get title shots and is a millionare and a white fighter like Bronco Mckart is a unknown even though he is alot more skilled than De La Hoya.Whitaker beat De La Hoya but gets robbed because De La Hoya is mexican.
                  To be honest virtually all hispanic and latino fighters suck.They are great at beating their own race but when ever they fight a good white or black fighter they lose.But the way this country is you will always hear more about them than you will our own white and black fighters.
                  I smell a BAN coming LOL

Comment

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
                    But how does this make you feel?

Comment

Hearns really outdid himself this time. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                      X