No announcement yet.

UFC is a horrible company.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    But just trust me on this one. I'm not talking out of my azz. I've been thru the union organizing and currently going thru a misclassification suit right now. Signing contracts don't mean nothing if the federal law says different.
    I've not accused you of spewing nonsense. You're well informed, but I think you're failing to realize this is a different industry than yours is.

Also, you seem to not be understanding me. Nothing you cited in UFC contracts is illegal under Federal law. Exclusive contracts and contracts mandating uniforms do not in any way violate Federal law.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Comment

Uo

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      Don't see how it's any different from an MMA commission sanctioning a multiple time champion with nearly 30 fights (Randy Couture) facing a 0-0 boxer (James Toney).
      Valid point.

Maybe, and I admit I'm speculating, it's that both Toney and Couture were well past their primes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        No, those other leagues wouldn't have to unionize..
        How so?

Say it's only the UFC guys who unionize. But what happens to a UFC fighter who fulfills his contract and then leaves the UFC to continue fighting in other organizations? Is he now not a union member?

Or what about fighters who fight for other orgs and get signed to the UFC for just one fight? Are they now unionized? Or do you need to sign a long term UFC contract to be unionized?

These are valid questions, and reasons I just dont see this happening.

Comment

UFC owes about as much profit they made last year (100 million) just in interest on the loan they took out to purchase it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I've been one who expected this to be an issue too, but apparently its not. Seen this in the paper today that surprised me although I guess it shouldn't have cuz money.
            Thx for the link.

That's a huge hurdle to clear.

And yes, I figure money is the reason that hurdle is going to be cleared.

I honestly cant see anyone who is an educated fan of either sport buying this nonsense. If it's a boxing bout, Mayweather is going to have an easy sparring session. If it's under MMA rules, McGregor will submit him about as fast as Couture submitted Toney.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
              How so?

Say it's only the UFC guys who unionize. But what happens to a UFC fighter who fulfills his contract and then leaves the UFC to continue fighting in other organizations? Is he now not a union member?

Or what about fighters who fight for other orgs and get signed to the UFC for just one fight? Are they now unionized? Or do you need to sign a long term UFC contract to be unionized?

These are valid questions, and reasons I just dont see this happening.
              It's no different if a union worker quits a union job to take a non union job.

UFC is getting big enough to where they will apply for an anti-trust exemption so they can legally be a monopoly, but in order to get that, they would most likely have to unionize just like the other major sport leagues

Comment

It's no different if a union worker quits a union job to take a non union job.
                Thanks for the straight answer. I have a couple follow up question now, so please bear with me.

Does that mean this person is no longer a union member? Does it mean the new employer must now pay that person union wages?

And fyi, I'm asking these questions because I do not know the answers. I swear I'm not trying to 'zing' or argue with you.

UFC is getting big enough to where they will apply for an anti-trust exemption so they can legally be a monopoly, but in order to get that, they would most likely have to unionize just like the other major sport leagues
                Now that's speculation though.

We don't know if they will apply for anti-trust exemption. Do you have a link saying the owner(s) of the UFC are going to apply for that?

I'd think it's very different than the NFL examples. You didn't have literally dozens upon dozens (and maybe more) small 'leagues' putting out the same sport/product in the case of football when it filed for anti-trust exemption, but that's what's happening in MMA.

Comment

I honestly cant see anyone who is an educated fan of either sport buying this nonsense.
                  There aren't THAT many educated fans of either sport & there are a lot of casuals & sports fans who love this type of sh^t. Its an event. Ringside tickets are gonna be nuts. If this fight doesn't break the Floyd vs Manny gate record cuz they don't get enough casuals & sports fans hyped up about the fight its 2nd place in gate in boxing history.

And with the union thing I think things are moving towards that end, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Probably 5+ years away. Right now there are like 7 unions trying to do something & none have done much if anything yet. The new one is a clusterf#ck cuz of who they got heading it, a guy who was one of the most notorious sh^tty promoters in MMA previous for those unaware. But its likely to happen at some point I feel if the UFC is going to move forward like all the other major leagues eventually got player unions. It'll actually move the UFC towards more legitimacy in the sports world when there is a fighters union I feel.

The Muhammad Ali Act getting covered for MMA fighters is the biggest thing that could f#ck up the UFC's day. It'll likely make matchmaking a huge clusterf#ck like boxing has so you'll no longer see the competition in any league, UFC or otherwise, that you do today. The titles of various leagues will be vacated & "paper" titles more often. Thing is I don't think it'll be the fix some people think. I mean look at boxing. There are still sketchy ass promoter contracts that keep guys on the shelf for years when there is a problem. Promoters still have too much control with fighters & can helm up your career by not giving you the best fights for your career unless you sign an extension. The good things will be that the alleged lifelong contracts the UFC has for champions will end & contracts will no longer "freeze" if you retire which is also bs. And of course 1% of the tip top guys in the UFC & other major leagues in MMA will get more of their value while just like in boxing today there will be a ton of guys making peanuts. Overall I believe the Muhammad Ali Act being transferred into MMA will have more negatives for fans & the sport of MMA than positives.

Comment

There aren't THAT many educated fans of either sport & there are a lot of casuals & sports fans who love this type of sh^t. Its an event. Ringside tickets are gonna be nuts.
                    Agreed.

That's the sad part. This fight will be a joke if it happens, but I'm sure it will generate a ton of money.

If this fight doesn't break the Floyd vs Manny gate record cuz they don't get enough casuals & sports fans hyped up about the fight its 2nd place in gate in boxing history.
                    Yeah, if it goes off I'm very curious how well it does.

Do you really think it will beat Manny vs Floyd?

Overall I believe the Muhammad Ali Act being transferred into MMA will have more negatives for fans & the sport of MMA than positives.
                    Can you expand on that, please.

I'm not up to speed on the Ali Act.

I will say Gov't interference is almost always bad.

Comment

Thanks for the straight answer. I have a couple follow up question now, so please bear with me.

Does that mean this person is no longer a union member? Does it mean the new employer must now pay that person union wages?

And fyi, I'm asking these questions because I do not know the answers. I swear I'm not trying to 'zing' or argue with you.

Now that's speculation though.

We don't know if they will apply for anti-trust exemption. Do you have a link saying the owner(s) of the UFC are going to apply for that?

I'd think it's very different than the NFL examples. You didn't have literally dozens upon dozens (and maybe more) small 'leagues' putting out the same sport/product in the case of football when it filed for anti-trust exemption, but that's what's happening in MMA.
                      1. if you are in a union, you get the benefits, if you leave the union and get another job, then you don't get the union benefits.
                      I know 2 local distributors, one uses union truck drivers the other doesn't, drivers can switch between companies with no issue, they just don't get union benefits like retirement, insurance, legal help, etc... Non-union job might offer something similar.
                      No different then a guy getting cut in the NFL, and then playing in the arena football league, he isn't entitled to NFL union benefits anymore, and to qualify for retirement packages you have had to meet a certain amount of years. Same thing with UFC and smaller promotions like legacy.

2. UFC's new owners have expressed desire to make UFC a major top 5 sports organization. In doing so they will need an anti-trust exemption, and those will be nearly impossible to pass thru government without some sort of union.
                      The exemption is important, because it will allow them to have monopolistic power and being able to squash any competitors by threatening tv and advertisers etc not to do business with them or they will lose UFC's business. Same thing WWF did in the 80s, and NFL did to USFL.
                      Plus it takes a huge bullseye off the back of UFC, as labor proponents will have nothing to be mad about.

Comment

Working...
                      X