Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I do kickboxing if I want to be a boxer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I do kickboxing if I want to be a boxer?

I have the choice of doing kickboxing or boxing, and i'm kind of leaning towards kickboxing (not muay thai, just regular) for many reasons. First it provides you with extra self defense (being able to use your knees and legs) and it will also make my legs stronger.

But at the same time, I don't want to be a kickboxer. I want to be a boxer, so I figured that doing kickboxing will not allow me to fully focus on learning the skill of using my hands, because I will also have to learn how to use my legs too.

I was just thinking that if I want to really do boxing, it should be not 50% legs 50% arms, just 100% arms.

Any opinions?

Originally posted by SUPREME. View Post
    I have the choice of doing kickboxing or boxing, and i'm kind of leaning towards kickboxing (not muay thai, just regular) for many reasons. First it provides you with extra self defense (being able to use your knees and legs) and it will also make my legs stronger.

But at the same time, I don't want to be a kickboxer. I want to be a boxer, so I figured that doing kickboxing will not allow me to fully focus on learning the skill of using my hands, because I will also have to learn how to use my legs too.

I was just thinking that if I want to really do boxing, it should be not 50% legs 50% arms, just 100% arms.

Any opinions?
    We used to get Kickboxers come in our gym to spar ....none of them was out standing with there hands ...

Comment

Why dont you just do kickboxing for a couple of months and learn the basics of kicks and whatever, and then start training in boxing. For a start you'll probably be in better general shape to box and you'll have a base to start with from what you've learnt in kickboxing.

Comment

Boxing is very different than kickboxing and is much more work. It's more intense.

Comment

I don't want to be a kickboxer. I want to be a boxer
          And you're asking us whether you should do kick-boxing or boxing? I'm not trying to be a dick, but come on...

Comment

You are trying to be a dick, and a smartass.
            I was saying that I want to be a boxer, but kickboxing has additional advantages, though will it distract me from honing my skills as a boxer as you have to learn with your legs too. I wanted to know will I still be able to focus on boxing whilst doing kickboxing, or will it distract me from reaching my highest potential as a boxer.
            Analyze and decipher my post before you try to make me look stupid..
            Last edited by SUPREME.; 06-08-2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

You are trying to be a dick, and a smartass.
              I was saying that I want to be a boxer, but kickboxing has additional advantages, though will it distract me from honing my skills as a boxer as you have to learn with your legs too. I wanted to know will I still be able to focus on boxing whilst doing kickboxing, or will it distract me from reaching my highest potential as a boxer.
              Of course it will, you cant learn to box well by training in kickboxing, you'll learn the basics sure, and Im not 100% because Ive never trained in Kickboxing but I would imagine you'd learn some bad habits if you trained kickboxing to learn boxing. Theres a couple of Kickboxers that train at my boxing gym because they want to work on their boxing, that says it all really.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip2006uk View Post
                Why dont you just do kickboxing for a couple of months and learn the basics of kicks and whatever, and then start training in boxing. For a start you'll probably be in better general shape to box and you'll have a base to start with from what you've learnt in kickboxing.
                Originally posted by Chip2006uk View Post
                Of course it will, you cant learn to box well by training in kickboxing, you'll learn the basics sure, and Im not 100% because Ive never trained in Kickboxing but I would imagine you'd learn some bad habits if you trained kickboxing to learn boxing. Theres a couple of Kickboxers that train at my boxing gym because they want to work on their boxing, that says it all really.
                kickboxing fundamentals are diffrent from boxing fundamentals and it takes longer to get bad habits out of your system than it does to learn new things, starting out as a kickboxer would give various bad habits.

u will have to re learn your whole stance once u make the switch.

- kickboxers have their feet closer togheter
                - are flat footed
                - dont bend their knees much
                - square up
                - stand straight up even if they are short
                etc

also kickboxers stand right in front of eachother and are very stationary, dont use any angles whatsoever. and the kickboxers i seen or sparred with usually just have plain ****ty hands. i wouldnt recommend to start out kickboxing at all, its better to just run and do some groundwork (situps, pushups etc) to get in shape.

as for the TS question i think u should do boxing instead, u still need to have strong legs if u are a boxer. u will do much more running than a kickboxer would. above all else boxing is just a much better sport, its the sweet science, kickboxing is more brute force.

Comment

You made yourself look stupid by asking a stupid question.

Should I do kickboxing if I want to be a boxer? No, you should do boxing if you want to be a boxer. It's that simple.

I was saying that I want to be a boxer, but kickboxing has additional advantages
                  Additional advantages in what? In a street fight? It certainly doesn't have any additional advantages in boxing. Plenty of kickboxers have switched over to boxing, but not without taking time to adjust their stance and learn correct boxing technique.

I don't understand the point of this thread at all, it's not like you're saying "Which is better for me, kickboxing or boxing?", you're actually saying "I want to be a boxer, so should I do kickboxing or boxing?". If you can't figure out the answer to that on your own, you need to go give your mother a slap for not having an abortion.
                  Last edited by dannnnn; 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Of course it doesn't have any additional advantages in boxing, ignoramous.
                    I can see you don't understand so i'll hold you hand and guide you through this.
                    Doing kickboxing will of course give you an additional advantage, such as stronger legs and better flexibility, plus knowing how to use your ****ing legs as a weapon.
                    The very simple point of the thread was asking are these 'additional advantages' a big distraction from learning how to box at my highest potential or will I be able to kill 2 birds with one stone. Now, because you are 23 years old and can't comprehend this simple question, go upstairs and slap your mother for not swallowing.

Thanks to everyone else for giving civilized answers.

Comment

Working...
                    X